Orange
    2010 Camaro SS

Your Opinion on a 416 Stoker with L98 Heads

I just ordered a normaly asperated 416 stroker engine, complete from intake to oil pan; L92 heads, ported oil pump, 40 LB injectors and LS7 clutch from http://www.sdpc2000.com. I I should have it on the street by the turn of the year.

Has anyone seen this setup running or dyno'd for RWHP? I'm sure I'll be the 1st in Hawaii.
    Last edited by cybernco; 01-11-2007 at 09:41 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok, is this for your GTO? if so, the L98 heads will not fit a LSx block. L98 heads are off the TPI engines from 86-92 f-bodies and corvettes. maybe you meant LQ9?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    ok, is this for your GTO? if so, the L98 heads will not fit a LSx block. L98 heads are off the TPI engines from 86-92 f-bodies and corvettes. maybe you meant LQ9?
    Wrong, you are talking about the SBC GenI engines, but GM has reissued the L98 designation and it is currently used in Australia ... pretty much the L92 over there.

Everyone is waiting on results from these new GM heads, all based on the LS7 architecture. I wouldn't be surprised if you are the first in Hawaii to have that setup. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cybernco View Post
    Has anyone seen this setup running or dyno'd for RWHP? I'm sure I'll be the 1st in Hawaii...
    You just purchased this motor, and didn't bother to ask them for a horsepower quote? I would have demanded that they send me every single engine specification through e-mail... before laying down any of my hard earned cash.

As for this re-used L98 designation, that's honestly news to me. Quite frankly, it doesn't surprise me one bit though, as GM can sometimes be notorious for making poor marketing decisions. The L98 "designation" is one designation they should have left dead and buried...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    Wrong, you are talking about the SBC GenI engines, but GM has reissued the L98 designation and it is currently used in Australia ... pretty much the L92 over there.
    wasn't aware of the L98 LSx based redesignation.

black
    2000 ws6 t/a

L92 heads.......
    EroC
    00 ws6 m6:347, 11.8:1, g5x2, moser 12 bolt 4.11, UMI susp, bilstiens...407/379 12.0@115 1.72 60'

daily beater--->05 white z71 tahoe, loaded,corsa,diablo sport,airraid

Orange
    2010 Camaro SS

L92 Heads

My Comp Cams 918 valve spring broke and dropped a valve into the cylinder of my LS2 engine, ruining one head, one piston and the piston sleeve. Since the LS2 long block is gone, I'm buying a L92 (Stoker 416 CID) Long-Block that comes complete from intake to oil pan. The camshaft is a custom grind from comp cams. The stock L92 heads flow 330 cfm on the intake and 200 cfm on the exhaust. Better yet, the low-lift numbers were 225 cfm at .200-inch lift.

GM High Tech magazine dedicated a three page article on the L92 heads using a LS2 (364 CID) block. I should get a lot more out of the heads because I'm going to run a 416 CID Stroker, 4.065 X 4.00, L92 block.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ine_l92_heads/

The article states, "If you've got a 400-inch motor or bigger, the L92 heads will be killer. Those big intake ports on a big-inch LS engine will really make some power. You're talking close to 700 naturally aspirated horsepower from a pump-gas car if the combination is right!"

I'm dealing with Brian at SDPC for my new 416 engine. http://www.sdpc2000.com/
    Last edited by cybernco; 12-18-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Orange
    2010 Camaro SS

Horsepower Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    You just purchased this motor, and didn't bother to ask them for a horsepower quote? I would have demanded that they send me every single engine specification through e-mail... before laying down any of my hard earned cash.

As for this re-used L98 designation, that's honestly news to me. Quite frankly, it doesn't surprise me one bit though, as GM can sometimes be notorious for making poor marketing decisions. The L98 "designation" is one designation they should have left dead and buried...
    Specific horsepower numbers are not my goal with this engine. I gave all of my specifics to the comp cams tech and he will make the camshaft to my needs. I drive the car daily, have a 6-speed and run a 3.91:1 ratio ring & pintion. This larger engine will automaticly bring more TQ than I my tires can handle, so we need to move the usable RPM range up higher & make good use of the L92 head flow capabilities. I'll dyno the RWHP after the engine breaks in, but the set up is so new that I haven't seen anyone elses numbers out there yet.

If you doubt the horsepower capabilities of the L92 then read the GM High Tech article:
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ads/index.html

Orange
    2010 Camaro SS

It made 515 HP / 501 TQ on a dynojet. I sold the car after going through three clutches, a drive shaft and finally the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by cybernco View Post
    It made 515 HP / 501 TQ on a dynojet. I sold the car after going through three clutches, a drive shaft and finally the rear end.
    Yep alot of people do that and quickly find out they need to spend money in other areas other than the engine.

That kind of power at the rear wheels with a manual trans needs a top notch clutch, driveshaft, and rearend to make reliable power.

Thread Information