Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Would this be a functional power adder?

Ok let me start this off with this is jsut a theory and please dont attack me on it... i was just thinking of the the fact that atmopsheric air is only 20% oxygen... would it be functional to hookup a compressed oxygen tank, and pipe it into the air intake? to make the air going into your engine more like 60-80% oxygen? thats like tripleing the possible power...why bother with superchargers and turbos when u can jsut put in some good ole pure O2?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Isn't that basically doing what Nitrous is doing??

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

more or less, but nitrous is N2O, meaning two molecules of nitrogen and one of oxygen...pure O2 would basically have twice as much power possibility per mol of gas

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

and its much more combustible and nitrous

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

and i think it would jsut be so much simpler too...no modding necessary the 02 sensor would notice there triple the o2 fkowing past it and it would dump in triple the gas

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I think that the conventional grade of oxygen(used in torches etc.) that you can buy/refill at say your welding supplies store can have contaminants inside the container/gas. But, you could always go with medical grade oxygen I suppose. Not sure of the price difference, and what if you crashed man that'd be like a bomb!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, look at the price of medical grade oxygen. Better have a good job.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

ur engine would blow up... it needs the nitrogen to fill space... unless u have a bad ass bottom end ud probably blow ur engine the fuck up. ive thought of this before too but if it worked im sure some form of top fuel would run it... thats my theory

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Pure oxygen when entered into the combustion chamber would make it too violent and raise the cylinder temps dramatically. Nitrous "burns" it is not "flammable". When the N20 "burns" the chemical reaction releases the oxygen making better combustion but the nitrogen helps keep it in check and also cools it down some. You put pure oxygen in and it might ignite with the gas in your intake making a nitrous backfire look timid. I would definately NOT recommend it. In essense the Nitrous oxidekeeps the oxygen stable until it is contained within the chamber. Pure O2 is extremely dangerous. A 2lb bottle full of pure oxygen is more explosive than a 10lb bottle of n20 probably more.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

yea pure oxygen would probably turn ur engine into lava... or something like that

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

lol, just grab an LOX (liquid O2) converter from an aircraft and make it a wet shot. seeing how Liquid Oxygen has an expansion ratio of 620:1 that will make for an eventful evening...LOL. might have to figure something out about the temperate since LOX is around -296 F.

I'd watch from the sidelines...

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

just make sure u do it in a big crowd so u make a real mess!
    then i can watch it on the news!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

problem is the sudden lean condition when adding more oxygen into the motor. next is the sudden increase in cylinder pressure and resulting increase in temperature. the nitrogen is there to counteract all of this.

liquid oxygen would just freeze the lines.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

to get deeper into this:

if the nitrogen is necessary so that is absorbs the engergy and ur engine doesnt get too hot, what if u picked a different compound made of oxygen and a very energy absorbing element.

my thought is, if u pick something that absorbs energy more than nitrogen, then you can have more oxygen atoms per compound molecule(without the engine overheating)... therefore u have the ability to burn more oxygen.

? its late, does taht make sense? idk what element to use instead of nitrogen, and idk how available/expensive it would be, but speaking hypothetically...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ok that all makes sense... but the more i think about it the more i realize how inneficient nitrogen is as an energy absorbing atom. to putit simply, im imagining this goes on in the engine.. little gas droplets are floating around along with little o2 molecules, and with a few pillows that absorb energy and heat (being the nitrogen)...what if you created an environment where you manged to put the right amount of gas and o2, and new, more improved pillows (heavy noble gasses like krypton or xenon).../whatever the mix ratio...10%gas, 70% o2, 20% pillows haha... and a block that could handle the immense power released form each combustion... think of the possibilities...

ive heard of 02 being explosive, and i agree if it could work youd see it in pro stock, but they already use nitromethane and i feel like nothing is betetr than that...but for streets...o2 is the future...and pillows of course :-D

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    to get deeper into this:

if the nitrogen is necessary so that is absorbs the engergy and ur engine doesnt get too hot, what if u picked a different compound made of oxygen and a very energy absorbing element.

my thought is, if u pick something that absorbs energy more than nitrogen, then you can have more oxygen atoms per compound molecule(without the engine overheating)... therefore u have the ability to burn more oxygen.

? its late, does taht make sense? idk what element to use instead of nitrogen, and idk how available/expensive it would be, but speaking hypothetically...
    Even if you were able to come up with a new compound then you are just doing the same exact thing as nitrous and it wouldnt be worth it. If you want double the oxygen than what you would get in a 100 shot of nitrous then just jet up to a 200 shot. I know what you are saying but its kinda pointless to even think about it. If you really wanted to do some chemistry research then im sure you can find another compound that would work however I am sure there was alot of research in the whole N2O compound to begin with. In fact if you read into it if you even alter the mixture of N2O slightly then you get more into the properties of a bomb. ie Nitrous Dioxide. I dont really want to turn my engine into a bomb I mean uh.. not again anyways
    Last edited by juiced99ws6; 05-08-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

another thing you have to take into consideration is that Nitrous oxide is not a corrosive gas so if you were to try and find another substance just as stable while adding mroe oxygen which would be a chore in itself you would also have to consider how corrosive of a material it is so you would be able to ship it and put it through an aluminum engine block without damage.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Pure oxygen when entered into the combustion chamber would make it too violent and raise the cylinder temps dramatically. Nitrous "burns" it is not "flammable". When the N20 "burns" the chemical reaction releases the oxygen making better combustion but the nitrogen helps keep it in check and also cools it down some. You put pure oxygen in and it might ignite with the gas in your intake making a nitrous backfire look timid. I would definately NOT recommend it. In essense the Nitrous oxidekeeps the oxygen stable until it is contained within the chamber. Pure O2 is extremely dangerous. A 2lb bottle full of pure oxygen is more explosive than a 10lb bottle of n20 probably more.

You hit the nail on the head!!! Pure Oxygen will NOT work.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    ok that all makes sense... but the more i think about it the more i realize how inneficient nitrogen is as an energy absorbing atom. to putit simply, im imagining this goes on in the engine.. little gas droplets are floating around along with little o2 molecules, and with a few pillows that absorb energy and heat (being the nitrogen)...what if you created an environment where you manged to put the right amount of gas and o2, and new, more improved pillows (heavy noble gasses like krypton or xenon).../whatever the mix ratio...10%gas, 70% o2, 20% pillows haha... and a block that could handle the immense power released form each combustion... think of the possibilities...

ive heard of 02 being explosive, and i agree if it could work youd see it in pro stock, but they already use nitromethane and i feel like nothing is betetr than that...but for streets...o2 is the future...and pillows of course :-D
    thats actually exactly what i was meaning to say. find something that is a "bigger pillow" than nitrogen, and be ableto burn more oxygen

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Not really an theory but more of a hypothesis. Not till you have proven this hypothesis of yours over and over again will it eventually become a theory

Thread Information