red

Exclamation will a ls6 cam in ls1 pass ca smog (woth no tune)

is the zo6 cam small enough to pass with all emission components and a little e85, or is there just no way to pass with a cam and no tune?

thanks for the help, sorry about the re-post!

black
    2002 firebird trans am

it should pass without a tune..

red

has any1 actual done it?

I don't see why it wouldn't pass.

My wifes car passed the sniffer in Florida with a Crane version of the LS6 cam.
    Specs....210/218 at .050
    .551 lift and LSA of 112

With the LSA of the GM LS6 cam at 117 degrees, it should be even easier.

red

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdjones View Post
    i don't see why it wouldn't pass.

My wifes car passed the sniffer in florida with a crane version of the ls6 cam.
    Specs....210/218 at .050
    .551 lift and lsa of 112

with the lsa of the gm ls6 cam at 117 degrees, it should be even easier.
    that passed with the stock tune???????

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't pass.

My wifes car passed the sniffer in Florida with a Crane version of the LS6

red

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    Blackbird- you dont think it will pass?

Not sure what blackbird means,,,,,but to answer your question....

The car was supposed to have been tuned by Vinci down there, and I had the handheld they used. I had HPtuner, so I stored the handheld tune, then reflashed the stock tune back into the car and stored that as well.

Looking at the two of them, I don't see much of anything changed. A small bump in the timing tables, some rev limiter changes and that was the jist of it.
    All the idle trims and fuel tables looked stockish. Rest of the car was bone stock. Passed the sniffer fine, which I would believe are very similar to what you are dealing with in Cali,,,(I've been through that too with another car).

I know the LS6 camshaft itself is emissions compliant so that's not a worry. But is there any reason you don't want to tune the car?? I'm certain there are tuners in Cali that have dealt with this before, as far as tuning and sniffers go. I'm familiar with Sac, it's where my family is from. There should be tuners in that area.

red

called shop yesterday ant they want $500 to tune
    +i need to get a tuner. so its not worth it for a baby cam. i think im going to give it a shot, thanks for your help

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

i think what he meant was that fl doesnt do emission testing... which they dont anymore i think they stopped it in 2000? but i may be wrong

As far as I'm aware they do,,,,or I should say they did when I bought the car down there about 4 years ago.

I've got the papers from the smog station with numbers of what the car blew at that time.

I didn't question it, since I have no concern about smog where I live and what I had planned for it anyway. I figured it's probably why the car had the baby cam in it and nothing else done, so it would comply,,,,which it did easily.

iv never had any one my cars tested for any emission...i know people driving wth open headers

Are you in Florida? It could be county specific like alot of other states.

I know this car had to be tested,,,and was at some point. I'm not sure if Florida has to test cars before selling them or not either, but it was tested right before I bought it.

States like California do that. I've bought several cars over there. They have to pass California emissions upon selling the vehicle. Even if you are taking it out of state (as in my case) which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's Cali for ya.

red

ya no one can register a car in their name unless it has a smog within 90 days. its bs.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I bought my car in July. I had to do the smog test.
    Now my registration expires next month. And I have to do a new smog check. Isn't that stupid?
    That was a new law in 2010.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by red98ss View Post
    ya no one can register a car in their name unless it has a smog within 90 days. its bs.
    To answer the ops question and stay on topic, seeing as the ls6 came with that cam and it isnt really much different than the ls1 cam it should pass w/o a tune no prob. But ya fl as a state dropped the mandatory emission law in '00 http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/smog-check.php. Ive bought and sold a few cars and NONE of them required testing here and I lieve in south fl where the majority of the laws and people are, I've got lt's and no cats and never have issues. theres guys around here that have open headers and run around the city constantly and never get anything from the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by red98ss View Post
    California has always been goofy about that stuff. What bothers me is, when I go over there to buy a car, I'm taking it out of state and never to return,,,,yet it still has to be smogged before I can take it

Now I can understand it if the car were sold to someone else in Cali and it was to remain there. But when does Cali ever do anything that makes sense.

bleen
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    California has always been goofy about that stuff. What bothers me is, when I go over there to buy a car, I'm taking it out of state and never to return,,,,yet it still has to be smogged before I can take it

Now I can understand it if the car were sold to someone else in Cali and it was to remain there. But when does Cali ever do anything that makes sense.
    That doesnt even make any sense ,, if your moving outta state ca dmv would need to know if the car passes smog first ? how would they know if you moved to a state that doesnt need smog ? so you go to register it and they would say "nope sorry you didnt smog the car in cali before you brought it to arizona" that doesnt even make sense... but to the op you can go to the smog center and try it first to see if it will pass before running an actual TEST i do it all the time ..

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagicturbo View Post
    That doesnt even make any sense ,, if your moving outta state ca dmv would need to know if the car passes smog first ? how would they know if you moved to a state that doesnt need smog ? so you go to register it and they would say "nope sorry you didnt smog the car in cali before you brought it to arizona" that doesnt even make sense... .
    Ya I know, screwy isn't it??

Thread Information