Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question Will LS2 heads work with a MS4 Cam?

Hey guys just curious if anyone knows if LS2 heads that are CNC ported will work with a MS4 cam without having to modify anything. Basically looking for affordable heads to work with this cam.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Hey guys just curious if anyone knows if LS2 heads that are CNC ported will work with a MS4 cam without having to modify anything. Basically looking for affordable heads to work with this cam.
    yes they will you should not have any issues unless the heads are milled way down thus causing PTV issues. however the ms4 is an extremely highrevving cam and throwing ported heads on it like that is gonna make it lazy down low any particular reason on the ms4? you can achieve with 15whp of the ms4 but with much better power under the curve with a cam in the lower 230's duration.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Yeah I see that now and can tell, however it hasn't been tuned. I went with it because Texas speed recommended it, but did say it makes less power in lower RPMs and more in higher. Will a good tune solve some of this issue with these heads or would you recommend that I stick with the stock heads or go with a complely different head set up. Thanks

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

if you already have the cam in then the 243 heads are a good choice without going into aftermarket castings. who did or will be doing the cnc work? If you want a little better response down low you can mill the heads a little bit to get the compression ratio up but you would have to check the ptv clearnace with the cam first to make sure you wont have issues. and yes a tune should not ony elp the car in the power area but should also make it drive smoother.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

The LS2 heads are already CNC and sold by Scoogy Dickens. And by lazy low end do you mean it will bog down even more? It does it now in low RPMs but again hasn't been tuned and has a low idle RPM, which will be increased when tuned. So is this a setup you would go for. My main factor with the LS2 heads is the price compared to others.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    The LS2 heads are already CNC and sold by Scoogy Dickens. And by lazy low end do you mean it will bog down even more? It does it now in low RPMs but again hasn't been tuned and has a low idle RPM, which will be increased when tuned. So is this a setup you would go for. My main factor with the LS2 heads is the price compared to others.
    When I say lazy down low I mean its almost gonna feel like the car has lost some torque and may even feel a little sluggish. But when you hit probably around 3500-4000 rpms its gonna pull like a freight train. Its only bogging right now mostly because the tune is still stock once the car is dyno tuned it should respond much better. The CNC port work is very good from SD and it would highly benefit the car once its in its powerband I say go ahead and do it. Is the car an m6 or a4? Reason being is that with an m6 you can throw 4.10 gears in it and it will get you into the upper rpms much more quickly if you have an a4 a 3600 stall or higher would do the same thing this will help it get out of those lazzier rpms more quickly.

The ls2 heads are gm casting 243 heads, these heads came on ls6 motors, and some truck engines so they are relatively cheap. I'm just guestimating but I'd say they are around 1500 for a cnc set. Now a set of aftermarket trick flows, AFR's, etc will perform better everywhere but is it worth the extra $1k? Well thats for you to decide. The hp difference will probably be around 15-20 up top and about the same under the curve.

Either way the car should put down around 450 through an m6 I'd say and 425ish through an auto. The car is gonna be stupid fast either way you look at it though lol

Thread Information