Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

When to upgrade fuel system

I'm going to be upgrading heads and cam, mods specifically are fast 92, pacesetter LT's and ORY, TSP 233/239 and 220cc as cast heads with 62cc chambers. I have read some debates that say the stock fuel system is good for low 400 rwhp, meaning injectos fuel rails and pump will be fine but will I gain from upgrading these areas? Also I did the air egr delete and the back of my fast has a tiny vacuum hookup I have no clue where it goes because from my understanding the delete got rid of all those small vacuum hookups on the back of intake. Car is 00 ws6

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Don't you have to run different rails anyhow for the fast? I would say that you're going to be over on injectors too with that set up. I forget right off hand if '00 had 26's or 28's. I want to say they had 26's but even with the 28's you're going to over I believe. I have 28's in mine with a 228R cam and I'm right at the edge. If it were my car I would plan on doing it all including the pump.

That small line goes to the small line for the a/c vents inside the car.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

26# and the fuel rail hooks right up. I'll upgrade it just wasn't sure what the rule of thumb was.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

When to upgrade fuel system

I had to use LS2 fuel rails
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I had to use LS2 fuel rails
    that's kinda what I thought....I thought because of the height of the fast intakes you couldn't use the stock rails. I see now though he has the 92....maybe I'm thinking of the 102's like you have.

As far as your injectors you can use hptuners to check the duty cycle....you want it no more than 80% but with 26ers I can pretty much guarantee you that you're going to be well past that with that set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Navy Blue Metallic

Also it depends on the injector style. EV1's you need spacers and the new style you don't. It all comes down to how tall the injector is, FAST 90's aren't that much more bigger than the LS6 intake. What 5-10mm at the TB opening?

I have no idea what GM was thinking putting 26's on these cars.

That small vacuum port s for the HVAC system. You need to connect it if you want to use your AC/heater and be able to switch between defrost and vents.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I got ya...I'll have to check out the fitment...new fuel rails will look good but if I don't have to spend the cash right now that'd be nice...all the install videos and other things I've seen the ls1 fuel rail fits right on the intake. I'll have to check it out on my next day off.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You won't necessarily "gain" anything as the engine only wants the amount of fuel the PCM commands (with the tune adjusted to accommodate your new components). However, as posted, you do not want to max out your stock injectors or exceed their duty cycle and risk having things go lean in the upper rev range. You have a Racetronix pump out back?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There is a pretty straight forward formula for calculating what size injector you need based on a few inputs.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You won't necessarily "gain" anything as the engine only wants the amount of fuel the PCM commands (with the tune adjusted to accommodate your new components). However, as posted, you do not want to max out your stock injectors or exceed their duty cycle and risk having things go lean in the upper rev range. You have a Racetronix pump out back?
    Stock pump fuel rail and injectors...it seems like just upgrade it so I don't have to worry about it am I right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    There is a pretty straight forward formula for calculating what size injector you need based on a few inputs.
    What's the formula??
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

Navy Blue Metallic

Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-13-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Over time the stock pump does get weak. Throw a pump and a hotwire kit in it and you'll be good. Not a bad idea to have a fuel pressure gauge plumbed into the rail as well. I run a fuel pressure gauge in the A-pillar pod.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

1998 T/A for now and if you dont have the cash....just invest in a good fuel pump/wiring system....The sstock injectors in our 98' motors can handle a ton of fuel, but you gotta get that fuel to the rails. ..My 98 forged block with AFR 210 heads and LSL 227/231 cam +92 fast/ram air and full exhaust set up was tuned and the stock injectors were fine...my tuner shown they were around 92% duty cycle and were performing great throughout the Revband....and there were no changes either at 7,000rpms......is it the best scenario injector wise? No..but you should be good to go based on my experience and feedback from one of the best tuner's in AZ....hope this helps.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    I got ya...I'll have to check out the fitment...new fuel rails will look good but if I don't have to spend the cash right now that'd be nice...all the install videos and other things I've seen the ls1 fuel rail fits right on the intake. I'll have to check it out on my next day off.
    Zero issues with stock fuel rails installed. ..nothing to worry about here....just make sure that hvac line is hooked up! Take care

Thread Information