1998 trans am

whats your input

hey guys and girls i have a 1998 trans am and ive been looking around for parts but not to sure what would be the best,i put a k&n intake and headers.and i wanna put a 92mm fast throttle body on. but wasnt to sure what intake manifold to put on, i wanted to stay with fast but i only find the lsxr 102 series,not sure if that would be best for the car cause "bigger isnt always better" and i also wanted to put a camshaft in but idk which one to choice. the car is manly street but if a junkstang or rice rocket comes up to the side i want them to just see the bird, so any imput would be great,or anything you recomend thank you

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Need a lot more details!

The easiest one is how much money do you have because going faster costs money.

Are you doing the work or are you paying someone?

Is it a stick or auto?

How fast do you want to go?

Is it your daily driver?

How many miles are on the car?

and anything else

1998 trans am

sorry its a auto i have 80000 miles on the car i wanna keep it under $5000,its a daily driver ,how fast skys the limit in that price range, gonna have my uncle shop do it but not upto date wit the ls1,nothing else was done to the car but headers and intake.as you can see not really up to date on computers and that shows in my wright up lol

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Well the first thing I would do is a stall. That will wake your car up big time.

You said you have headers now are they long tubes? do you have the rest of the exhaust upgraded?

Your uncles shop...is the work done there free? or at a discounted price? That will make all of the difference.

Do you want a d/d that is ok to drag race or do you want a car that corners.

hugger orange

Tranny cooler and a 3,600-3,800 stall 1st and upgrade to an LS6 intake

1998 trans am

the shop is gonna do it for free sense im in the family, i have long tube headers the only thing i did to the exhaust was chop out the cats im more into a drag not a corner car,but manly street nothing to where i cant drive it more than 300 miles.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sub frame connectors, lower control arm relo brackets, lower control arms, etc etc... get the suspension done first... power is nothing with out being able to get it to the ground...

then work on the internals...

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    the shop is gonna do it for free sense im in the family, i have long tube headers the only thing i did to the exhaust was chop out the cats im more into a drag not a corner car,but manly street nothing to where i cant drive it more than 300 miles.
    Then I would look into suspension and start doing your own research on cams. With the amount of money you have to play with and spend it wisely on used things and just deals you will be able to have a fun toy. Everything you do to the car has a purpose. Without the proper knowledge you can waste money very quickly.

WHITE
    2002 Z28

Heads, cam & intake

You need to have Heads that will flow at least 300cfm at .600 lift.
    Next you will need a cam with .575 to .600 lift and 230 duration.
    LS6 intake with a 75mm throtlebody or FAST 90 with 90mm throttlebody.
    A better oil pump for the improvements.
    Or you can order a crate LS2, 400HP for $5k and sell your engine for $2k.

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

So, I'm pretty much in the same boat. My buddy just came home with a 2008 Shelby GT500. I need to be close or faster.

The easiest one is how much money do you have.
    Money is no object at this point. Winning is. Okay, I lied, $3500

Are you doing the work or are you paying someone?
    I'm doing all the work

Is it a stick or auto?
    Stick

How fast do you want to go?
    11.2 in the 1/4, street trim. I have ET streets, but would prefer to make the power and not need the holeshot, besides its easier on the car. I have a rough goal of 550-575HP on the spray, or 500HP motor only.

Is it your daily driver?
    No

How many miles are on the car?

and anything else...
    Its a 98 Camaro, I have an SLP intake, FTRA, stock MAF, BBK 85MM TB, 120 Shot, Flowmaster muffler with completely stock exhaust piping. LCAs, and panhard.

I also live in CA and need to pass tailpipe and visual inspections

I looked at Trick Flows kits at Summit Racing... Heads, Cams and Roller rockers. I need one that will still fly under the smog cops radars.

Long tube headers are pretty much out of the question, my smog guy is friendly, but straight out told me those wouldn't fly. I passed the visual with no muffler and the NOS, and yes, he noticed both.

Is an LS6 manifold worth it, or do I need to step up to the FAST stuff? Is the 85mm stuff big enough to hit my numbers?

I had an 85mm SLP MAF that worked fine for years. I recently started getting a check engine light and noticed the wires had a bunch of corrosion on them (I lived right on the beach for 5 years), and switched back to stock which turned off the light and let me pass smog. That really seemed to kill the power.

If I don't do the Trick Flow package, is there something else you guys might reccommend?

This car has literally been parked for the last 5 years after my buddy got rid of his blown 98 Cobra. Work and buying a house kept it on the back burner. But now, she's detailed, updated parts have been ordered, and I'm ready to put the smack down on some Fords.

Thanks for your help guys.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

before I can provide you with information I need to know how bad CA is with emissions. I live in PA and I run Lts, 3" tds dumped. so... how bad do they cripple you?

Now right off the bat I would look into a forced induction system. Do they pass CA bullshit?

I know there is tons of different options but what ones get past the CA emissions police?

hugger orange

iv'e been "told" a 224 114lsa is about is aggressive as you can go in cali

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    iv'e been "told" a 224 114lsa is about is aggressive as you can go in cali
    WOW! that is shitty!

I would suggest to Ross,,,first move out of that state so you can build a car the way you want

I hate to say it, but with the limitations that Cali enforces, there is no way you will hit 500+ HP on the motor only and pass smog. Just isn't going to happen.

Your best bet in my opinion is to go with a smog legal power adder such as a procharger, coupled with a very mild cam that passes the sniffer and is ground to be boost friendly, and a very good tune. That would probably get you 500 rwhp with very mild boost. Could always do a set of 50 state legal aftermarket heads on top of that too.
    If you are worried about engine internals due to mileage or what have you, then a short block build might be in order.

What ever way you decide to go,,,,a rearend upgrade should be on the top of the list with that kind of power goal.

Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    hey guys and girls i have a 1998 trans am and ive been looking around for parts but not to sure what would be the best,i put a k&n intake and headers.and i wanna put a 92mm fast throttle body on. but wasnt to sure what intake manifold to put on, i wanted to stay with fast but i only find the lsxr 102 series,not sure if that would be best for the car cause "bigger isnt always better" and i also wanted to put a camshaft in but idk which one to choice. the car is manly street but if a junkstang or rice rocket comes up to the side i want them to just see the bird, so any imput would be great,or anything you recomend thank you
    From what I understand on the board here, the FAST 90-92 intakes are no longer made, just the 102 series.
    My honest opinion, unless you are building a full effort track car,,,I wouldn't spend the money on a fast setup.
    Since you mention you are mainly street, I'd do a simple and relatively easy to find LS6 intake swap.
    On your camshaft I'd consult several of the more popular vendors to spec a camshaft for your needs, or a custom ground unit.
    You will need a converter to go along with that, and it's best to decide both at the same time, as they work hand in hand.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I didnt read this entire thread but in one of the post someone mentioned something about a GT500? Im guessing your friends gt500 is stock? If thats the case wait untill he does a few bolt ons, you will be crying. Either way you will need some serious heads/cam/suspension/rear/tires and good driving to get your 11.2. Yes you can spray a 200 shot and call it a day on a stock block, but I would say a few prayers before you spray it. Honestly if you wanna run that fast, I would build a motor (400+ CI) you will benifit from the extra cubes instead of trying to max out your stock 346.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

black trans am

u can get 2500- 3500 in a rear end...

for a good stall and a tranny rebuild u can get lots of money in it as well... after that i would say a cam swap would be due.

and probly a cheep set of heads. if u bumb up ur CR ull get a better brun out of ur fuel and there fore helping all the emissons

Thread Information