hugger orange

what is my cam specs?

UPS just dropped off my new cam today.
    HR-284 grind (fresh copy) i thought it was going to be a 220/224, but it has alot higher lift than the other (baby) cams ive seen.
    It is a copy grind, the cam card is an index card hand written in pen as follows=
    HR-284
    lift- in-.570
    ex-.580
    dur- in-284
    ex-294
    lsa- 112
    that is the only information i have. is there a quick easy way to find duration @.50, and lobe centerline, or do i have to use a micrometer and degree wheel?
    thanks guys!

If you degree the cam in you'll find out quickly what you have. If it's ground advance or retarded etc...

You only listed LSA,,,,the intake center line will tell you how much advance or retard (if any) is ground into the camshaft compared to the LSA. Then set it up accordingly with the degree wheel in the engine, and adjust from there if necessary or if you desire something other than what the cam is ground with.

example: 112 LSA with an intake centerline of 108 means the camshaft has 4 degrees of advance already ground in. Checking with the degree wheel along with a dial indicator and dummy lifter will verify. But you can make it anything you want with offset bushings or an adjustable timing chain. I sometimes find the camshafts don't come out exactly as the cam card specifies and adjustments are necessary.

That lift is about right for a roller with that much duration at .050 224 degrees at .050 on a roller will give you about .575 to .585 lift with the rocker ratio figured in.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-05-2009 at 12:51 PM.

I just read your post again. It sounds as though whom ever wrote that cam card missed alot of important info.

Alot of cam grinders use those "advertised" duration numbers,,,usually taken at .06 duration and then tend to fluctuate and inflate the duration numbers and makes the cam look bigger on paper...but it doesn't really help when degreeing the camshaft.

The .050 numbers are much more accurate. Cam cards are generally printed. I've never received one that was hand written.

I'm starting to wonder where everyone here is getting camshafts from,,,another fellow on this board didn't even get a cam card with his camshaft. Man these companies are slipping up.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I just read your post again. It sounds as though whom ever wrote that cam card missed alot of important info.

I'm starting to wonder where everyone here is getting camshafts from,,,another fellow on this board didn't even get a cam card with his camshaft. Man these companies are slipping up.
    yeah i read the thread with the guy that has no cam card.
    i guess i cant complain with the limited specs i got on mine, it is a copy cam and i picked it up new for $110.
    one of my friends has a degree wheel we are going to put on it while doing the install, i just wanted to see if there was an easy way to findout more before we started the install.

it got me wondering when i searched the 284/294 grind and found anywhere from 220/224 all the way up to 23x/24x....
    all the smaller cams i looked at had close to .500-.525 where the bigger ones were closer to my .570/.580 lift

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    yeah i read the thread with the guy that has no cam card.
    i guess i cant complain with the limited specs i got on mine, it is a copy cam and i picked it up new for $110.
    one of my friends has a degree wheel we are going to put on it while doing the install, i just wanted to see if there was an easy way to findout more before we started the install.

it got me wondering when i searched the 284/294 grind and found anywhere from 220/224 all the way up to 23x/24x....
    all the smaller cams i looked at had close to .500-.525 where the bigger ones were closer to my .570/.580 lift
    Ya those advertised numbers at .006 will really make you wonder as you have found,,,an advertised 284 grind could be 224 at .050 or it could be 232 at .050,,,you just never know.

Thats why the industry standard for all engine builders is the .050 number.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya those advertised numbers at .006 will really make you wonder as you have found,,,an advertised 284 grind could be 224 at .050 or it could be 232 at .050,,,you just never know.

Thats why the industry standard for all engine builders is the .050 number.
    i got ahold of him, it is a 220/224

Black
    2004 GTO

i got ahold of him, it is a 220/224
    hey im looking at purchasing a cam just like the one you purchased..how is it working..Does it sound nice?? and how about the performence??

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    hey im looking at purchasing a cam just like the one you purchased..how is it working..Does it sound nice?? and how about the performence??
    I like it. with the cam and ported heads I picked up a very noticable gain power. the 112lsa gives nice choppy idle and great sound.
    now that its tuned in right it drives almost stock, even with the 3,000 stall......but when you punch it there is a lot more power.
    are you going to get yours tuned, or are you going to tune it yourself......if you have hptuners I can give you a hand!

Black
    2004 GTO

I like it. with the cam and ported heads I picked up a very noticable gain power. the 112lsa gives nice choppy idle and great sound.
    now that its tuned in right it drives almost stock, even with the 3,000 stall......but when you punch it there is a lot more power.
    are you going to get yours tuned, or are you going to tune it yourself......if you have hptuners I can give you a hand!
    yea well im taking one step at a time...Let me get my cam first(in about a wwk or two) then i will see what kind of tune i can get..But i aint planning to port my heads anytime soon..I have an 04 A4 ls1 GTO by t he way..But yea as soon as i get my cam ill see what happens after that!! So your saying the cam is pretty good then right so i can order it>>

Thread Information