Thread: what cam to use

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

what cam to use

Looking for some help.I have a 00 ws6 with arh long tubes slp exhaust catted y-pipe slp lid slp underdrive pulley ngk plugs granatelli wires 3200 stall 160 thermo stat.Will me going with a ls6 intake down the line but for now looking for a cam kit that would match my mods...also frost will be doing the tune.

NBM
    1998Z28

I would say a TSP 228/228 or a TSP TV2. Good midrange cam.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

what are your goals for you car what kind of power are you after? do you drive it daily? all stuff you need to ask you self a cam is one of the bigges things to do to a ls1 for sure. you are going to want one that will work well with your converter as well. i like to call afew places that do cam's and talk to the tek guys and they can point you to some that will work best for you and your goal's.

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Goal

My goal is just bolt ons beside a cam package an intake.I want a good sounding cam but also go with my mods.In the future I would really wanna do a ls2 builld

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't necessarily think you want a mail order tune with a cam install. You should get an on-site DYNO tune with a cam swap.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't necessarily think you want a mail order tune with a cam install. You should get an on-site DYNO tune with a cam swap.
    agreed i have had nothing but problems with my mail order tune. box tunes are great for bolt on cars but when you add a cam things get a whole lot different.
    Say you put it in dot to dot and the cam is ground a little off and you didn't degree it the box tune won't be able to compensate fully, or the idle is erratic once again its a adjustment it the tune that a good tuner will be able to catch and fix on the fly. so if your gonna do internals get a dyno tune from someone who is reputable and has been doing it for a while and save yourself headaches it the future.

red
    2000TA

I hear a lot of great results from Frost tunes.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i have a tv2 from tsp and love it but i dont know how it would work in a a4 (i have a m6) as i posted befor the best thing for you to do is to call some place that has a teck for the cams like tsp and talk it out with them and they will point you to one that will work the best. as for the tune i like to have a full street and dyno tune. a mail order tune works well with a bolt on car but with a cam a live tune is best imo. if you are going to stay bolt on for any time i would hit up frost.

Thread Information