Thread: What Cam

Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS #1811

What Cam

LOOKING FOR HELP HERE. WILL BE DOING A 3600 STALL SOON AND WOULD LIKE TO DO A CAM AT THE SAME TIME. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A PARTIAL DAILY DRIVER FOR NOW?? ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE APPRICIATED. LOOKING TO MAKE THE CAR A REAL BEAST BUT KEEP DRIVEABILITY ON THE STREETS. THANKS...
    2002 SS #1811 A4/3.23
    FACTORY OPTIONS: ALL
    SLP LID; BELLOWS; KOOKS LT/HEADERS W/HIGH-FLOW CATTED Y; GMMG; TAYLOR-PRO 8MM WIRES; NGK PLUGS; BMR STRUT TOWER BRACE & FRAME CONNECTORS; K&N; SLP SS GRILLE; KEY FOBS; MATS & DECK MAT; DASH PLATE

MORE ON THE WAY.......

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SS#1811 View Post
    LOOKING FOR HELP HERE. WILL BE DOING A 3600 STALL SOON AND WOULD LIKE TO DO A CAM AT THE SAME TIME. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A PARTIAL DAILY DRIVER FOR NOW?? ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE APPRICIATED. LOOKING TO MAKE THE CAR A REAL BEAST BUT KEEP DRIVEABILITY ON THE STREETS. THANKS...
    I would suggest all the upgrades as well once you decide on a cam for your car (Ls6 Oil pump, Ls2 Timing Chain, Springs, retainers, pushrods, etc.)

for a partial DD, i would suggest you look at: TR228 or the TSP Torquer v2 cams. here is a link for the Tv2...

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=168&catid=44

you will need your car tuned are this as well. BTW, to get the 'firedevil' to work in your SIG, you need the : at the end of the word devil
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

http://vincihighperformance.com/CAMS...%20LS1%202.htm

depending on how much of a beast you want, the 056 or xxx cam will fit the bill
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I would suggest all the upgrades as well once you decide on a cam for your car (Ls6 Oil pump, Ls2 Timing Chain, Springs, retainers, pushrods, etc.)

for a partial DD, i would suggest you look at: TR228 or the TSP Torquer v2 cams. here is a link for the Tv2...

you will need your car tuned are this as well. BTW, to get the 'firedevil' to work in your SIG, you need the : at the end of the word devil
    agreed
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS #1811

Thanks for the info. In your opinion about how much HP do you think would be gained with my current mods the new cam as well as some decent heads? I have been told the TC will make the car that much better with what I have. Also, will it escalate it to be as loud as an F-16 when I take off? Love the exhaust I have but don't need the POPO bugging me. Thanks again...

Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS #1811

Thanks for the info. About how much HP do you think would be at the rear wheels with my current mods adding new heads and one of the cams suggested? Making 370 at the rear wheel currently, put on the rollers last summer. Thanks.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SS#1811 View Post
    Thanks for the info. About how much HP do you think would be at the rear wheels with my current mods adding new heads and one of the cams suggested? Making 370 at the rear wheel currently, put on the rollers last summer. Thanks.
    that's anyones guess. rear numbers would vary depending on which heads you go with and cam setup. i would think that you would be close to the 400rwhp club with the mods you have and a cam (like the Torquer v2), and with heads well over 400rwhp...

regardless with a H/C combo or a cam alone will really wake up your car...

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Let me tell you this NOTHING is as loud as an F-16 at full burner, with maybe the exception of a F-22. I have heard from some friends they are louder but never experienced a hush house run with one of them. Also I would definately add the heads to the mods. Lots of people stop at cam-only but if you look at how many people on here are doing head swaps too I can't help but think you would be wishing for more right from the start. Also I would get a custom grind cam. IMO that would be better than any other route. Going that way you get a cam that fits your mods instead of trying to fit mods around the cam. Off topic a little how does the F-16 fit into things?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

B-1, F-15, and F-4 full burner are louder!!! And the loudest EVER British Tornado!!!

Black & Black

Just wondering where you get that from. the B-1 maybe but I have never heard a F-15C or E that was anywhere near as loud as a F-16 at ground idle or full burner. And that goes for the tornadoes also. I have been standing next to a F-16 while doing a hush house run and it actually shakes your insides. Kinda like a really loud club but at a much higher freq.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Experience. Stationed with B-1s currently, been stationed with F-15s. And trust me the Tornado is the God of Loudness, heard them many times in the desert.

Oops sorry we have stolen the thread, srry gonna go now.

For the thread, I agree, Save up and build up a nice H/C setup, otherwise you might put in a cam and later decide you want a certain set of heads and figure out there is a much better cam for it, and now you changing the cam again.

Black & Black

Ok I have managed to find an answer for us. Here is how a few common airframes work out as published by an air force environmental study. These are dB levels at 200 feet AGL. B-2 and F-18 = 121dB, B-1 = 119, B-52 and F-16 = 115, Tornado = 107. I guess we were both off a little. I have had chance to work on F-16 and F-15's as well as A-10's. When I was in the Air Force I also had opportunity to work around the Tornadoes, A-6's and the list goes on. I didn't figure the F-18's ranked so far up but the numbers don't lie. My original issue is when people say "as loud as a jet" and that is just crap. Anyways I am sure we are really killing this thread because noone else is posting. Sorry for jacking the thread y'all.
    If you are really interested in getting a kick in the butt I would go H/C. Cam only can make some good numbers. But by doing both you will have more under the curve and make the same or more in the numbers. The only problem is you start adding to the cost. You kinda have to be honest about what your goals are. But I would definately consider whether you will want it done eventually. It would suck to take the motor apart and then have to do it again because you want something more. Also the price of a cam that you may want to swap again.

Thread Information