Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Valve spring removal?

Is there a easy way to get them out without spending a bunch of money on a tool to remove them? Maybe a trick? i was looking for this tool http://www.videowired.com/video/2866058134/ but even though the video was posted 3 months ago its not on their site. Any suggestions?

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

Are you doing this in the vehicle or out? Its kinda hard to cheap out. Basicly the more expensive the tool, the easier it is. You will need some type of air compress that can put out close to 100 psi and a compression gauge set. I say compression gauge set because the adapaters are what you need. I have used a tool that I got from Advance Auto parts in a pinch. It has a star handle which is turnable that apply pressure to the spring which takes pressure off the retainer. Hard on the fingers/palm of hand.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I work in a shop lol so i think i can manage but yeah out of the car, i bought a set of 5.3 heads and im pulling everything to have them machined I just dont want to pay a fuck load for a tool im only gona use a few times. I found 2 here for sale in town.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1848125406.html
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1888069322.html

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would ask around and see if anyone will lend you theirs for a small fee. Personally I would buy it, because it would suck to spend that much $ on the heads and getting them ported and find out you fucked up your springs because you bailed out on a $100 tool.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I would ask around and see if anyone will lend you theirs for a small fee. Personally I would buy it, because it would suck to spend that much $ on the heads and getting them ported and find out you fucked up your springs because you bailed out on a $100 tool.
    I bought the 20 dollar craftsman one, worked like a charm after i figure out how it works . My next question is what valves do i need to put back in the 5.3 heads and can i use these http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000320?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You can never have enough tools..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

ALSO will these fit the heads https://www.patriot-performance.com/...&cat=51&page=1 its the package i would like to go with. Need to know what valves to order as well. All this would be LOVELY

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Is there a easy way to get them out without spending a bunch of money on a tool to remove them? Maybe a trick? i was looking for this tool http://www.videowired.com/video/2866058134/ but even though the video was posted 3 months ago its not on their site. Any suggestions?
    The only problem with the valve spring tool you have listed there is it's only good on LS1/LS2 engines and pretty much useless for anything else.

I prefer to use this one

It's made by Mac, but I'm sure there are other copies out there with various price ranges. My opinion, if you are going to spend $60-$100 for a spring removal tool, you may as well get one that works on all engines and is more versatile. You never know what you might be working on next.
    I've used this little gem on about everything you can imagine, including the tight 4th gen engine bays. Works like a champ.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I bought a craftsman tool that works on all engines. Wasnt very hard to use either. Thanks though, question has moved on and waiting for responses

Thread Information