Black
    2001 WS6

trying to get an idea for a cam

hey guys, i know this has been beaten to death. Im looking to start saving up for parts for a heads and cam combo, but im not sure what to get. I know ill need springs, rods, oil pump, timing chain. What cam should i look into tho? I'd like to find a relatively powerful cam, but streetable. I've got 112,000 on the motor. ive got headers, exh, ported tb, lid, filter. i have alot of suspension work done. its also a 6spd. I plan on doing ported 243 heads with the cam. I'd like to also get something with a lower lsa for a good lope. maybe 111 or 112. There are alot of cams out there..torquer..g5x2,3, rumbler. what should i be looking at? and what types of supporting parts should i get? as far as springs, ect.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Texas speed has a special going till the end of the month. I'm going with the 2.5 LS6 heads milled to up the compression, still thinking on the cam....possibly a Tsunami or MS3. I don't drive the car a lot so a big cam won't bother me. I'll be doing a 12 bolt with 4:10's next year or the year after. You'll probably need new fuel injectors too. Sounds like for the most part your car is ready for H/C.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

what clutch are you running?

speed inc has a head and cam combo
    http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...etrain / Heads

Includes:
    Patriot CNC Stage 2 Ported Heads
    GM MLS Head Gaskets
    Felpro Head Bolts
    Choice of any Comp Cam Grind
    Comp Chrome moly Pushrods
    GM Crank Bolt & Seal
    LS6 64cc Heads & Cam Package $1849.99

once you had a oil pump, and double roller timing chain, i'm sure they can discount the package a little bit.
    Patriot heads are GM foundry heads, ported and polished by patriot. it is a good head for budget.

in regards to cam size, my 01 z28 also has 116,xxx miles, and cammed with the speed inc SI5 - 231/237 590/595lift 112lsa. Its a great cam if your car is not a DD, mine is a garage king except for racing, shows and great weather days. The cam makes great HP and torque, sounds mean too. From how aggressive that cam, is it honestly would not be fun to drive the car everday to and from work in traffic.

To support the power of the cam, i am running a Strange Dana s60 4.10 rearend, and a mcleod RST clutch.

if you dont want to go that big stay with a 224/228 or a 228/228 cam

other supporting parts- if your swapping heads, you should spend the $$ and time and replace the lifters.

my setup for cam only:
    double roller timing chain
    comp ovate wire springs
    chromoly push rods
    ls6 ported oil pump
    crank bolt and seal

I did not swap heads when I did my cam swap, because I am going FI with my z28. So I would being buying new heads anyways when I FI the car
    Last edited by ibanez7; 04-13-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Black
    2001 WS6

im running the ls6 zo6 clutch

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Link doesn't work but that's not a bad price for a tight budget. I would still go with TSP or Trickflow for a budget head. Lifters are a good idea if you have over 50k miles on the car.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

i asked about the clutch, because the ls6 clutch, and a centerforce could not hold the torque my car made with my clutch. So I bought a mcleod RST, best purchase ever. A twin disk clutch is the only way to roll.

I also did my cam swap at 90k miles, did not replace the lifters since I didnt pull the heads. All has been good. However I bought my z28 brand new so i knew the miles on the car.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

if the link does not work, just go to speed inc website, enter in your car and year and choose valvetrain..

Black
    2001 WS6

at the time when i got my clutch, i didntknow much about them, but i knew the ls6 was an upgrade, and didnt want to go the route of the ls7 because i read that it takes longer to rev or something like that. anyway, i do plan on doing head work, so i guess i should add lifters to the list of things to get. nothing radical, just a port job

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    at the time when i got my clutch, i didntknow much about them, but i knew the ls6 was an upgrade, and didnt want to go the route of the ls7 because i read that it takes longer to rev or something like that. anyway, i do plan on doing head work, so i guess i should add lifters to the list of things to get. nothing radical, just a port job
    if you can get your heads ported for cheaper than buying assembled Patriot heads do it, remember thouht assembled Patriot heads are ported ls6 heads, and costs about $1200 for the pair. Its a great price.

when you do go with a new clutch again, go with the mcleod RST or RXT. they are smaller faster reving dual discs... amazing clutches and lighter that stock in clutch pedal feel.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't pay $50 for Patriot heads.

Thread Information