Red
    98 C5

Trick Flow Heads/Cam

Will the heads cam package really make 515HP on a stock bottom end?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Yes at the flywheel. One user on this site has stock exhaust manifolds and still makes 440 RWHP! The trickflow package is the bomb if you have the funds.

Yes you can install on stock bottom end... lots of LS1's with heads/cam on stock bottom end running fine. If you also spray or boost you will be wise to get a forged bottom end.

Of course, it won't be reliable as stock once you have 515 HP.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

Trick Flow heads work great, but their cams aren't so great. If you're set of TF, get a custom grind cam to your specs. Also realize those heads require Yella Terra rockers, and an experienced LSX mechanic to install. There's more labor involved in getting the valvetrain geometry correct on that cylinder head. This is NOT something a weekend warrior can do if they do not know how to check wipe patterns, preload, pushrod length, etc...

There are other cylinder head options out there that offer similar power gains, retain the use of stock rockers, and don't require as much assembly time.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Trick Flow heads work great, but their cams aren't so great. If you're set of TF, get a custom grind cam to your specs. Also realize those heads require Yella Terra rockers, and an experienced LSX mechanic to install. There's more labor involved in getting the valvetrain geometry correct on that cylinder head. This is NOT something a weekend warrior can do if they do not know how to check wipe patterns, preload, pushrod length, etc...

There are other cylinder head options out there that offer similar power gains, retain the use of stock rockers, and don't require as much assembly time.
    What would you suggest then? What are your basis of your selections of heads? Always like to hear what others think/know

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you can get afr heads..what i really like about TFs are their 13.5 valve degree..compared to a stock 15 degree...you get great numbers out of those heads.

98' trans am

and also dont get caught up with peak numbers either...do your research and find a combo that will give you good numbers under the curve.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and also dont get caught up with peak numbers either...do your research and find a combo that will give you good numbers under the curve.
    I agree with you on that. A lot of people want that HIGH HP number! It just sounds good to say I have 4xx HP.

Red
    98 C5

Torque vs Horsepower

I really want high torque #'s. So I take it the rocker arms that come with the kit are not torque to yield, they require adjustment. I want a complete kit (rockers, springs, retainers, bolts, gaskets, etc.) what do you suggest?

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

What would you suggest then? What are your basis of your selections of heads? Always like to hear what others think/know
    I build a lot of cars for people based on their budget, so budget minded heads are what I normally choose. That being said, TEA or "Total Engine Airflow" are my cylinder heads of choice if you're looking for something on a budget below 2K. They can retain the use of stock rockers, use QUALITY valvetrain components and make GREAT power for the money. http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr.../gmhead/gmls1/

Patriot Performance is another option if you're looking for the cheapest of options. Their heads are worth 25-35rwhp, and their pricing is very attractive @ $1200 for a brand new set of heads and no core charge. https://www.patriot-performance.com/...ome.php?cat=12
    I really want high torque #'s. So I take it the rocker arms that come with the kit are not torque to yield, they require adjustment. I want a complete kit (rockers, springs, retainers, bolts, gaskets, etc.) what do you suggest?
    Your goals are very realistic, and the goals that everyone should strive for. Power under the curve, and TQ is what gets a street car moving. Not high peak numbers.

To answer your inquiries, it's the entire combination that will determine how you achieve your goals. Camshaft choice, compression ration, tuning, etc...Cylinder heads are only part of the equation.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

To answer your inquiries, it's the entire combination that will determine how you achieve your goals. Camshaft choice, compression ration, tuning, etc...Cylinder heads are only part of the equation.
    I understand what you mean that you need to have a combo so things match up properly. But shouldn't you start with the heads and build around them?

also...you mentioned TEA heads. What do you think about there ls6 stg 1.5 heads?

Black
    2000 Z28

I've never heard anyone say that the Trick Flow heads aren't the best heads out there. My LSx guy, who has built more than one engine that has been featured in magazines, does packages with the Trick heads, rockers, push rods, and a custom cam, full exhaust, and full intake (lid, maf, tb, intake manifold) and is getting high 400s at the wheels with tq in the high 400s as well. I've seen the build sheets and dyno sheets of more than one car he's built, and there've been no complaints.

Granted, he does get the heads milled down so that compression is raised... which is an extra 250.

If I sell my 300zx twin turbo, or my truck (both of which have irons in the fire for, so to speak) I will be finishing off my motor with the heads, FAST intake and TB, but will be going with very high street compression (I want 12.5:1 if I've got the PTV for it, still haven't crunched those numbers on my cam...) and will be switching to e85 and should be well over 500 rwhp with tq hopefully 475+.

Then again, when its all said and done, I'll have about 11K into the engine...
    I have a website to help people out who are shopping for a new washer. I've taken the time to read through and summarize front load washer reviews for many models. Check it out if you are shopping for a new washer, hopefully it can help you out.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

I've never heard anyone say that the Trick Flow heads aren't the best heads out there.
    Was that reflected towards me? If so I never said Trick Flows weren't "the best", but that point in itself is debatable. There are companies out there like ETP and AFR that will give TF a run for their money any day. I was explaining that on a budget, there's better options out there. Especially considering Trick Flows require $400 rockers.

should be well over 500 rwhp with tq hopefully 475+.
    In a 346 ci motor? Don't hold your breath fella...

Black
    2000 Z28

In a 346 ci motor? Don't hold your breath fella...
    I've seen the dyno sheets of cars with basically the same setup I'll have getting 490/460 and that is with only 11:1 compression running normal fuel. I see no problem going 500+/475 with >12:1 compression on E85...

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

I have a bit of difficulty with an NA 347 with a single throttle body making that much power to the wheels with 11:1 scr.

Now, if you disconnect the drive belts, remove the air filter, and crack a nitrous bottle in the intake air flow on a happy dyno, sure.
    Last edited by KP1; 11-11-2009 at 03:11 AM.

2002 Camaro 11.828 @ 119.88 3900 lbs with me in the seat.
    2004 Z06 for Road Courses.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by gashkerwin View Post
    I've seen the dyno sheets of cars with basically the same setup I'll have getting 490/460 and that is with only 11:1 compression running normal fuel. I see no problem going 500+/475 with >12:1 compression on E85...
    Quote Originally Posted by KP1 View Post
    I have a bit of difficulty with an NA 347 with a single throttle body making that much power to the wheels with 11:1 scr.

Now, if you disconnect the drive belts, remove the air filter, and crack a nitrous bottle in the intake air flow on a happy dyno, sure.
    notice he said with 12:1 on E85 ...

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks. Still a bit of a stretch I think.

I've seen some out of the norm posts where people claim near 500 with 347 NA.

Doesn't matter really. The proof is in how it moves down the track and how it traps compared to gross weight.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KP1 View Post
    Thanks. Still a bit of a stretch I think.

I've seen some out of the norm posts where people claim near 500 with 347 NA.

Doesn't matter really. The proof is in how it moves down the track and how it traps compared to gross weight.
    ^ this is true.....dyno numbers are good for impressing high school girls ...ETs are good for impressing everyone in the know

SOM
    2002 SS

Sometimes impressing high school girls is worth it

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I agree high 400's is pushing it a bit from a NA 347, I can't believe it would be very drivable under normal conditions. My specs are:

TF 215's milled for 11:4 to 1
    comp 230/230/.591 113+2
    comp R's
    diamond forged -2cc pistons
    stock crank - polished
    stock rods - polished
    underdrive pulley - crank

numbers were 454rwhp, and 430 rwt on a dynojet, with a somewhat conservative tune. I maybe could get a few more numbers, but not too much

Thread Information