onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

torque angle degreese?

i am putting my heads back on and my LS1 book says something about torquing them to 22 ft lbs first..so i did snug with a 3/4 turn..i dont have a torque wrench that goes down that far.. then it says ( and this is where i am confused and so are the local auto part stores) to torque the head bolts to a 76 degree angle? ..What The Hell is that??? can i just torque the heads to 76 ft lbs? what do i do now?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

After you pre torque the bolt to the specified ft lbs of torque you then turn it so many degrees or angle.....I use a tool like this on my torque wrench...
    http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...ET99L4KUNK1LN5
    A lot of guys convert angles to degrees and use the 12 o clock 3 o clock 6 o clock method

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

check out ls1howto.com they explain it pretty good. You have to draw a line on the bolt and then turn it so many degrees I have not used this form but plan to. They sound like they know ther stuff on the site or just buy the tool.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Formula View Post
    i am putting my heads back on and my LS1 book says something about torquing them to 22 ft lbs first..so i did snug with a 3/4 turn..i dont have a torque wrench that goes down that far.. then it says ( and this is where i am confused and so are the local auto part stores) to torque the head bolts to a 76 degree angle? ..What The Hell is that??? can i just torque the heads to 76 ft lbs? what do i do now?
    You have to torque in "steps" to be accurate.

Example.: 80 FT pounds. First go maybe 30, then 60 then end up with your full 80. Usually there are pre-set torque # to step it in. Like other guy said, draw line on bolt and/or the socket and use like Sarge said 12/ 3 o'clock method. Do this right, it is critical. Good luck!

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

worked out fine so far

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

also, the torque angles are for stock head bolts. if you are using ARP, then you use their supplied torque values.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

No! Get the bolts to 22 ft lbs. Then Draw a horizontal line on each one with a sharpie or something. Next you want to turn all 10 15mm bolts an additional 90 degrees using a large socket wrench and a lot of muscle. Try to get as close to 90 degreees as possible...you may have to do multiple turns of 30 degrees or 2 turns of 45 degrees. When done all the lines on the bolt heads should be totally vertical. This will take an immense amount of effort...if you have a buddy helping both of you should turn the wrench simultanoiusly. These 8 bolts will now all have horizontal lines on them. Next turn bolts 9 and 10 an additional 50 degrees. Again, this will take a lot of effort. 50 degrees should result in a diagonal line on the bolts. Finally torque bolts 11 through 15 to 22 lb-ft. Here is the diagram http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...orquebolts.jpg

Thread Information