Thread: ticking noise

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

ticking noise

So my car has been making this ticking noise for a long time now, prob for a year, i just did a xpipe on it and the noise got louder. On cold start it does not thick, but wen it starts to warm up, it starts to tick, if i give it revs it kinda goes away but you can just nearly here it, And u can only here it wen you get off the car or pull in a close area like a garage. I don't think is a rod, cause the car drives great and the oil pressure is always normal, What i think the problem maybe is a bend push-rod or bad lifter, i know is not a exhaust leak cause the whole exhaust system is only like months old. However wen i install my headers i did not use the last bolt's way in the back because it was a pain, and i know is not piston slap because my t/a has cold-start piston slap and it goes away, but my camaro does not start ticking till is warm and it does not go away?

info- 02 camaro z28 m6- ls6 intake, flow-tech LT, Flow-tech xpipe, SLP lid, Frenco Bellows, Mac air filter, TB by-pass, Free ram air

My question is- How do i check for bad push-rods, or lifters? do i just have to take the valve covers off or the whole intake? and what are the best push-rods that i can use on a stock cam ls1, also since i'm already in there do i just go ahead and swap out the valve, springs and lifters? i dont really plan on a cam anytime soon but in a year maybe, so i dont want to buy stuff twice.

Thanks for any help.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

To start with i would go ahead and put the bolts in the back holes for the headers. Its really not that hard, just pull the coils and spark plug wires off the driver side and you can get to it. On the passanger side i pull the coils, wires and dipstick to get to mine and i have large hands. I would also check for exhaust leak, just because it is a month old doesnt mean its not an exhaust leak. An exhuast leak usually happens after everything gets warm.

Post a video.

What gaskets did you uses with your headers?

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

i use the stock header gasket, yeah before i tear it out, im going to check for exhaust leaks and make sure that everything is on there rite.

but just incase it is the valve train. What is the best push-rods,valve springs, and lifter's i can run on a stock cam ls1 like there specs?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'm going to go with "exhaust leak" on this one. Get some FelPro header gaskets to replace the stock ones, and use all of the bolts. The FelPros have open ended bolt holes, so you don't have to take all of the bolts out of the headers to drop them in.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I have always used the stock gaskets with no issues. I have never used Felpro so i cant compare. I would say its a exhaust leak also. Once you have fixed the the headers and checked for exhaust leaks then i would check the push rods.

Take them out and roll them on a flat surface. I wouldnt spend the money on anything until you verify that it is not an exhaust leak.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

ok thanks, i actually both some felpro gasket but i did not like them so much i though it would burn thro, the thing is that it always thick even before i got my headers inthere just not so loud.

Thread Information