Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thermsotat Questions, MRR23, Orion, Frost???

Or for any of those that have tuning software and can accurately monitor the engine temperature.

I've found in my experience that the SLP modified 160 thermostats don't actually operate in this range,,,it's more like a 175 degree stat,,,,as Frost and I briefly discussed earlier.

I decided to start checking around,,,looking for a stat that actually operates in the 160 range.

Summit and Jegs both advertise Mr. Gasket in 160, 180, and 195 for the LS1 at a cost of $12.95. Sounds cheap enough to experiment with.
    I also see a Hypertech thermostat and one other I think.

I already know the SLP doesn't work as advertised.

What I would like to find is an actual thermostat that works at 160 degrees. Those of you with laptops care to chime in on what you are using and see on the computer?????

I am willing to buy 2-3 thermostats and try each one,,,hoping for a stat that works in the 160 range. I would like to bring my fan settings down a bit in hopes of not running so hot with summer around the corner,,,and an Arizona move in my future,,,,blasting the A/C makes me a little nervous and causes some knock retard in my car.

So what brand are you guys using and what do you see as a crack/open point on the scanner?????? Thanks,,,,,,Larry.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have no idea. It was so long ago when I did my stat that I don't remember what brand I bought. I would also have to look at some logs to see where it's opening. I know my car runs ~180 but that's with a tranny cooler shoved in front of the radiator. I think before the cooler it was 170-175. I'll have to dig through some logs and post back up.

Okay,,,thanks. I am going to have to look into other thermostats. Mine doesn't even start to open until about 172 degrees,,,,and runs in the 177-178 range if moving,,,but I can't program the fans any lower than a 180 degree off temp because of this,,,,,so in traffic,,,,it's contantly in the 180's, even when it's not hot outside,,,with the air on it's a bit more. When the car gets in the 190's ( running air, sitting in traffic) I see some spark knock (2-3 degrees) at full throttle on shift points when load is heaviest.

If I can find a cooler stat and run the fans at say on 176 and off at 170 it might help to fight this. I would like a stat that works at 160 or so before I go back and tinker with the spark tables.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Never tuned a single car that ever operated below 17XdegF

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Never tuned a single car that ever operated below 17XdegF
    Ya thats what I'm afraid of. I ordered another thermostat from Mr. Gasket this time. All the others like Hypertech and such sell the entire housing,,,which is the same thing SLP sells, so I fear it's the same thing I already have.

I found that Mr. Gasket offers just the thermostat alone for $12 and it simply removes from the housing.

What peaked my interest in it was the fact that they offer, a 160, 180, and a 195. That got me thinking. So I ordered the 160,,,be here tomorrow. I firgured I'd try it and see what happens, since it's cheap and just a little antifreeze. It may operate at the same temps as the SLP stat as you mentioned,,,,but I hope to get lucky and actually get a stat in here that works as advertised. I'll keep ya posted if your interested, I should have time set aside this weekend to tinker with it.

Cheers, Larry.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

vinci 170* t-stat. if the car is moving, it'll be right around 175*, if the outside temps aren't sweltering. i've been as high as 190* in traffic in the heat of the day. fans set to come on at 170* and 175*.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya thats what I'm afraid of. I ordered another thermostat from Mr. Gasket this time. All the others like Hypertech and such sell the entire housing,,,which is the same thing SLP sells, so I fear it's the same thing I already have.

I found that Mr. Gasket offers just the thermostat alone for $12 and it simply removes from the housing.

What peaked my interest in it was the fact that they offer, a 160, 180, and a 195. That got me thinking. So I ordered the 160,,,be here tomorrow. I firgured I'd try it and see what happens, since it's cheap and just a little antifreeze. It may operate at the same temps as the SLP stat as you mentioned,,,,but I hope to get lucky and actually get a stat in here that works as advertised. I'll keep ya posted if your interested, I should have time set aside this weekend to tinker with it.

Cheers, Larry.

I'd like to know how that Mr Gasket works out for you.

I threw my old one away so i can't go out and look it over. When i replaced the water pump i just bought what was in the store, the whole housing. I really didn't feel like dropping like 60 bucks on mail order in the middle of an emerency water pump change. But 12 bucks is worth elbow grease, and the extra coolant I have taking up space.

Man...Now i wish I saved that stat. And it was just last week i tossed it out, DOH.

post your results, i am very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    vinci 170* t-stat. if the car is moving, it'll be right around 175*, if the outside temps aren't sweltering. i've been as high as 190* in traffic in the heat of the day. fans set to come on at 170* and 175*.
    That Vinci sounds like it is working just as advertised. If you figure it's fully open around 172 or so,,,,and the engine settles in at 175,,,thats about right.

I wish I could say the same for my SLP 160,,,,which if worked as intended should be fully open around 163 or so,,allowing the engine to operate somewhere in the mid 160's,,,,but unfortunately it doesn't even start to open until 173 degrees,,,fully opens around 176 and the motor settles at about 177 or 178 most of the time,,,so I can't set my fans as low as yours

Could you tell me if your stat was a complete housing or simply a thermostat that you installed in your existing housing???

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i guess your last question is what I'm interested in too. All I have ever heard is you have to buy the whole housing and replace it, trying not to screw up the oring.

I'm trying to visualize the stat when i had it off and laying around the garage. Since i was in a hurry on a late Sunday I didn't care to analyze the darn thing.

I'm still curious if you can separate the thermostat from the housing?

All Go No Show
    2002 Z28

The reason that most thermostat's are going to be the same is because One Company manufactures all of them. SLP,Hypertech, Jegs and even the Gm Oem stat are made by Motorad of Germany.
    If you even look on the housing most will still say Motorad on them..
    Except the one benefit is if you can find purchase it under just the Motorad name the LS-1 160 stat is only 17 bucks..

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by NJ 2002 Z28 View Post
    The reason that most thermostat's are going to be the same is because One Company manufactures all of them. SLP,Hypertech, Jegs and even the Gm Oem stat are made by Motorad of Germany.
    Except the one benefit is if you can find purchase it under just the Motorad name the LS-1 160 stat is only 17 bucks..
    like this?

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...OD&ProdID=1673

is this the company?

http://www.motoradusa.com/index.html

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the ls1 t-stat is a complete unit. the ls2 updated design, you can replace the guts.

All Go No Show
    2002 Z28

Yep that be the Motorad
    Part #'s for LS-1 thermostats are
    379187 for stock 187 stat.
    379160 for the 160 stat.

They are also Fail safe stat's

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ok, the Motorad site showed a pic of the stat and housing as one unit, like i would expect.

I'm trying to search Mr Gasket, but all i found so far is there fancy water neck housings. I see some LS1 thermostats on ebay, one happens to be Mr Gasket Part No 6367, but i'm not taking some ebay sellers word for it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Boil em and see which one opens first?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Havent had my z28 for some time and the info probably around anymore. But at one time there was a thread on how to mod your stock thermostat to operate at a lower temp.

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    Havent had my z28 for some time and the info probably around anymore. But at one time there was a thread on how to mod your stock thermostat to operate at a lower temp.
    Yes this mod is the same thing SLP does. It only allows the stat to work around the 175 degree range,,,,and you cannot space the thermostat open anymore to work at a cooler temp,,,you are basically limited to what you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ 2002 Z28 View Post
    Ya motorad makes alot of them,,,,my issue though is finding one that actually operates at the temperature they are advertised at.
    The SLP 160 does not do as advertised,,,not opening until 175 degrees. I don't have this issue with any other car of mine except the LS1.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    i guess your last question is what I'm interested in too. All I have ever heard is you have to buy the whole housing and replace it, trying not to screw up the oring.

I'm trying to visualize the stat when i had it off and laying around the garage. Since i was in a hurry on a late Sunday I didn't care to analyze the darn thing.

I'm still curious if you can separate the thermostat from the housing?
    Yes you can seperate the stat from the housing,,,,you simply twist it and it comes out. Thats why you see some stats advertised for LS1 that are only $10-$15 and others that are $50.

The expensive ones come with a housing to save you 2 minutes of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    It's interesting how if you look at those 2 links,,,,one shows the 379160 as simply just the thermostat alone,,,,,then you go to the other link and search for LS1 and it shows the entire housing for the same part number....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information