White
    98 Camaro

SWAPPING LS-2 with LS-1

I have an 05 GTO that I purchased without an engine and I can not afford to replace the 6.0 for $5,800 (the cheapest I could find) so I decided to install an LS-1 out of an 04 instead (I got it for $2,500). I was wondering what kind of installation problems I could run into? I have done some research and am confused to say the least. Some literature I read says the 6.0 has relocated knock sensors, cam sensor and a different reluctor on the crankshaft but some info says the new reluctor design starts in 06 not 05. Anyway, if anyone has some good knowledge of both engines and could shed some light on what I'm in for I would appreciate it. The LS-1 is going to arrive tomorrow and is complete with all accessories, electronics, intake, throttle body, and harness. The computer and interior wiring harness is also available for $250 if needed, and all parts are out of an 04 GTO. Thank You!
    Last edited by dvdslw; 08-15-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: more info

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

What parts do you have under the hood??

White
    98 Camaro

Basicly I have the A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, the complete exhaust and the 6.0 wiring harness. The transmission (auto) and the rack & pinion are also there. The engine I bought comes complete with harness, intake, throttle body, fuel rail & injectors, all sensors, coil packs, the air cleaner housing and snorkle.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The 05 is drive-by-wire and the 04 isn't...might be a slight PITA.

White
    98 Camaro

Just to follow up, I did purchase an LS-2 intake, throttle body, and fuel rail assembly wich I will put on the LS-1 to use the 05's wiring harness with the fly by wire set up. I also got a timing cover and cam sensor from a 6.0 because the cam sensor has been moved from the back of the engine to the front. I still have to drill and tap holes on both sides of of the 5.7 block to relocate the knock sensors. The only thing I have yet to figure out is the crankshaft reluctor wheel, if it has 24 teeth I'm home free, if it has 58 teeth, I will have to remove the crank and change the reluctor. I will post another thread to hopefully get some insight on this issue. Thanks for the rply!

Thread Information