Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

stroke my ls1 or buy the slp 402?

I was wondering if it would be best to stroke my ls1 or buy the 402 slp engine? I am going with AFR heads, and a f.A.S.T intake, didn't know which would be cheaper and better. With all the power should I dish the built 4L60E for a non electronic tranny?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Hear a lot of bad things about the SLP motor. I'm almost possitive that you can't stroke a 346 to a 402. I think you have to use a 6.0 liter block. I know you can get 383 out of the 346.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

i want the fastest camaro in town, with the best sound, theres not that many around, there is only 1 383 stroker and its a lt1,will i have alot of power with the 383 and AFR heads? what about a tranny?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Head and cam LS1 should be able to take most 383 LT1's.

Stay away from that SLP motor. For the same price have a GOOD shop build you one.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

red
    00 camaro ss

you definately want to go with an iron block 6.0 liter. I have heard a lot of bad things about the slp engine. I would suggest having a professional shop build you engine. You defiantelly want a Callies crank, you cant get any better that that. And I would go with Howards rods. and Mahle pistons. that is what I have in my car. I spun a rod bearing, but it had nothing to do with the parts or the install. There had to be some foriegn dirt or something like that. The power that engine had was unbelievable. You will definately need to be able to put that power to the ground. I cant hook up in 1st or second, but on the freeway look out. I smoked an 06 zo6 on the freeway. anyway hope this helps.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

6.0? thats the LQ9 out of the cadillac right? and the big chevy truck? where can i get just the bare block?

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by RyansREDcamaroSS
    6.0? thats the LQ9 out of the cadillac right? and the big chevy truck? where can i get just the bare block?
    I got my block from wheel 2 wheel power train, I can get it for you for about $800

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

800, is that shipped? what all do I get?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LQ9 iron block.....I built mine piece by piece...only the best components.....Right at $4000 for the entire spinner assembly.....but built right and take a beating for a long long time.....Too many folks having issues with SLP for me to feel comfortable (no I aint internet dogpiling)..just seems there is too much "chatter" on various forums concerning their pistons/crank bearings etc....and then they dont warranty shit....that is no way to sell crate motors......402 stroker done right will put down well over 500RWHP on its own....then a lil 200 shot of giggle juice and voila.....you be a beast......heads/cam and all the other stuff thrown in...Underdrive pulley/Electric water pumps/upgraded oil and fuel pumps etc....big ass injectors figure another $5000.....

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

sounds good to me, what tranny are you running? So I will have about 8k or 9k in the motor? I do want all the best, motor,tranny,rearend,ect....what would be best a n auto or 6 spd?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

That is not bad for a motor like Sarge is building.

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by sscrazy
    I got my block from wheel 2 wheel power train, I can get it for you for about $800
    Im not sure about shipping, I will get back to you on that. That price is just for a new 6.0 iron block, with main caps.

As for sarge was saying, definately dont go with slp. MY set up for just the long block was about $10,000. Shit my crank alone was $2000. rods $900,
    pistons $900. get the picture? but I have one hell of a beast on my hands.
    so good luck to ya, and keep us updated to what you are going to do.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

thanks alot for all the info, I am planning on doing something this summer, any tips on a transmission and rearend?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by RyansREDcamaroSS
    sounds good to me, what tranny are you running? So I will have about 8k or 9k in the motor? I do want all the best, motor,tranny,rearend,ect....what would be best a n auto or 6 spd?
    4L60E TG Shift kit...PI 3500 Stall....big ass BM cooler w/ spin on trannie fluid filter...no worries...bang bang bang bang bang...your there....bye bye m6's
    ( stirred up the shit now didn't I?)

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

this may be a dumb ? but what is a m6? where did you get your built 4l60e?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

M6 is a manual shift 6 speed....A4 is an automatic...I built the 4L60E...it's easy stuff....valve body upgrade etc....stall.....it's bulletproof...most people have issue because of heat....run a good synthetic and a cheap trannie cooler and your good to go...furthermore...everybody knows A4 guys are faster...better looking....get laid much much more than the M6 guys running around banging gears and themselves....I dont make this shit up man...it's fact....

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    M6 is a manual shift 6 speed....A4 is an automatic...I built the 4L60E...it's easy stuff....valve body upgrade etc....stall.....it's bulletproof...most people have issue because of heat....run a good synthetic and a cheap trannie cooler and your good to go...furthermore...everybody knows A4 guys are faster...better looking....get laid much much more than the M6 guys running around banging gears and themselves....I dont make this shit up man...it's fact....
    Sarge, you never seize to amaze me. lol I drive an M6 and do pretty well, but you are right, a4's are much easier to launch, especially with the right stalh converter. I will be switching over eventually.

It just depends on what you prefer, I like having the manual on the street and for driving on road courses, but If I were strictly drag I would definately have the automatic with converter.

See sarge you didnt stir anything up, I am agreeing with you, you little SHIT. lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

My tranny right now sucks! I had it built , I got crapped, when I got it back my stall converter cracked, so I took it back and it took the guy 2 months, finally I told him to give me a factory converter, and to call me when mine comes back, but its been a month longer and he still hasn't called me, Now his phones are disconnected, bastard! My tranny now slips if I go into a turn hard and gas it. I want a bulletproof one! the best I can get! How much power do you think my LS1 with AFR heads,F.A.S.T intake, and a STS turbo with methanol injection, and the big turbo, will have? I talked to STS about it and they said it would be killer with a automatic and a stall. Just tryin to decide what I want.

whie
    98 Z29

If you decide to go with a 402 Lq9 or LS2, I highly recommend SDPC. They did an awsome job w/ mine and unlike slp they let me pick out some specs on my motor like type pistons, rings, ect... Were SLP it only comes strickly one way.

With my transmission I went with a built th400. Do it right the first time and get a th400 or th350 with a reverse valve body!!!!!!!!!! I have friends that have attempted to beef up 4l60es and it dosent work. I love my th400.
    Last edited by ArcticLS1; 02-15-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Thread Information