Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

Street Sweeper 236/240 630/610 111lsa

If anyone has this cam or rode in a car that had one please give me all the input you can. I am either going to buy this cam or the following yall help me (MS3)- 237/242 603/609 112 lsa (Raptor)- 236/242 615/615 111+2 lsa

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

I think the street sweeper should outperform these other two so maybe you guys have some input. Id also like any idle clips or track , dyno videos as im curious to how this thing sounds. Any Dyno numbers would be helpful.

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

Mods for my car so far: MTI lid,p&p tb, ls6 intake, Hooker LTs,o/r y, Loudmouth 2,SLP 25% pulley,MSD 8.5 wires, MAF sensor ends, TCI 3,500 stall, 3.73s. Id very much like to see my car dip into the 11's cam only. Opinions of this cam and info from all of you that know about it is very much appreciated.

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

Can anyone help me please on any info or opinions of this cam !

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

I have installed 3 of these Streetsweeper III cams (that is the real name of it as there are several Streetsweeper versions). They were installed into 2004 LS1 and 2005 LS2 GTOs. They are a bit large for the LS1 but still work. They provide good power down low but scream up high. Above 3500 they really perform. For street manners they will require a good tuner. I installed these into stick cars, not sure about the auto with a 3500 stall. It will be right on the edge a 3600 or more might be better. Tough idle chop. Sounds good.

I saw your post on LS1GTO, ignore those asshats over there. With the mods you have it will be nice but will also really increase your loudness level with the exhaust timing.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bronko91 View Post
    I have installed 3 of these Streetsweeper III cams (that is the real name of it as there are several Streetsweeper versions). They were installed into 2004 LS1 and 2005 LS2 GTOs. They are a bit large for the LS1 but still work. They provide good power down low but scream up high. Above 3500 they really perform. For street manners they will require a good tuner. I installed these into stick cars, not sure about the auto with a 3500 stall. It will be right on the edge a 3600 or more might be better. Tough idle chop. Sounds good.

I saw your post on LS1GTO, ignore those asshats over there. With the mods you have it will be nice but will also really increase your loudness level with the exhaust timing.
    put a small cam in my a4 goat this weekend and ported the heads 220/224 112lsa and i couldnt believe how much louder it is than before....the chop sounds good too

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

Bronko, do you have any kind of sound clip for it i can hear? Does the cam do well on valve springs?

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

Let me see if I can get a sound clip. Valve springs? No, you better get good ones. I recommend 921s to the guys in the club. I will go further into this tomorrow.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

also interested. those are some of the cams im considering.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

'Donkey Dick' cam.

What is the purpose of the car??

Daily driver?
    Weekend warrior?
    At least 4.10 gears?
    Track only?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

ASS KICKN' MAX EFFORT DD ................PLAN ON KICKING A FEW VIPER,GT-500,FORD GT, ETC ASS's FOR THEM. IM THINKING ID PROBABLY HAVE TO GO HEADS N CAM FOR THAT. YOU KNOW THE USUAL, BUILD A CAR THAT COST NOT EVEN A 1/4 OF THE PRICE OF RICH GUYS CAR AND WALK ALL OVER IT. I BET ITLL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE EVERYTIME.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I understand the goal.

Gonna need a little nitrous though in my opinion. At least if you are running these cars on the highway.
    In which case, I would go with a little less cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KblueZ-28 View Post
    Mods for my car so far: MTI lid,p&p tb, ls6 intake, Hooker LTs,o/r y, Loudmouth 2,SLP 25% pulley,MSD 8.5 wires, MAF sensor ends, TCI 3,500 stall, 3.73s. Id very much like to see my car dip into the 11's cam only. Opinions of this cam and info from all of you that know about it is very much appreciated.
    With those mods, even a tiny cam should put you solidly in the 11s. That converter is junk to begin with, and it will really show with one of those bigger cams.

Even with one of those bigger cams, don't think you're going to be taking on the likes of a Viper or GT unless you decide to run them from 0-100.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

All three are pretty large cams. It would definitely be considered a "max effort" daily driver provided you have a tolerance for pain on the streets. It would also be worthwhile to take into account which heads you'd like to work with in the future.

To consistently compete with the cars you're targeting on the streets, you'll need to add heads or a nitrous setup to your cam. In view of that, going with a huge cam over a moderate cam isn't going to be the difference in winning most of those races, however it will have a serious effect on overall driveability.

I went with a slightly smaller cam, mated it with a milled head to bump compression to 11.0:1 and then threw a shot of N2O on top of it -- the setup easily runs with the cars you mentioned above on the streets, however the combo is comfortable to drive. At the end of the day, it's all about making sure you're happy with your setup, so feel free to go with what you like -- that being said, I just thought I would share a little input on a combo that worked for me.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I understand the goal.

In which case, I would go with a little less cam.
    Yep, thats a monster cam for a 346 IMO.

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

Yeah here recently ive been looking into the speed inc SI-5 cam and the TSP 233/239 cam which is the best i dont know much about the speed inc cam but i know people have seen good things out of the TSP cam. specs on the SI-5 are 235/240 621/609 111 TSP 233/239 598/605 112 i believe.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    All three are pretty large cams. It would definitely be considered a "max effort" daily driver provided you have a tolerance for pain on the streets. It would also be worthwhile to take into account which heads you'd like to work with in the future.

To consistently compete with the cars you're targeting on the streets, you'll need to add heads or a nitrous setup to your cam. In view of that, going with a huge cam over a moderate cam isn't going to be the difference in winning most of those races, however it will have a serious effect on overall driveability.

I went with a slightly smaller cam, mated it with a milled head to bump compression to 11.0:1 and then threw a shot of N2O on top of it -- the setup easily runs with the cars you mentioned above on the streets, however the combo is comfortable to drive. At the end of the day, it's all about making sure you're happy with your setup, so feel free to go with what you like -- that being said, I just thought I would share a little input on a combo that worked for me.

good post.

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

I know I said I installed these in several cars in our club. I also had this cam in my 408. I personally thought it was too big so I swapped it for the Streetsweeper HT (228/232 .612/.601 111LSA) I thought that was too small so while down for a few other things that has expanded into a year long project, I swapped it for a custom cam from Thunder Racing (232/238 .613/.607 111LSA) when I pulled the Stage III ported 243s for a set of fully ported and coated Dart Pro 225s. If that is not enough, I have a set of 1.75 rockers which will make it 232/238 .631/.625. My point here is all of these cams I am now going with are in a 408 not a 346.

My favorite cams for a 346 are the MTI GI and the TR224. The GI is 228/232 .588/.575 113 and the TR is 224/224 .563/.563 112. Both make great power and sound excellent. The MTI rocks the car a bit harder than the TR and makes a slight bit more power.

Forgive me for not speaking out more but I am still a little gunshy from LS1GTO. No opinion, except that of the mods or sponsors counts for shit and I am tired of getting slammed.

There is one thing no onw has mentioned yet and that is cam lobe. There are "basically" 4 types out there. Stock, XFI, XER, and FlowTech's. All of the streetsweepers are from Ed at Flowtech. 90% of all cams out there are ground by Comp Cams.

So let's look at these lobes. Stock gently opens and closes the valve resulting in quiet operation. They also can use cheaper springs but these will float at reletively low RPM. Then there are the XFI lobes from Comp Cams. These were originally made for Fuel Injected engines but are used in all now. The ramps are more agressive but not overboard. Then the "new" lobe is the XER or Extreme. These are very fast opening and closing. Both XFI and XER lobes require sronger springs for valve control at higher RPMs. Also the valvetrain is progressively louder. The there is Ed's lobes. I have heard them described as being very close to walls. They snap the valve open and slam it shut. These require very good springs. For the Streetsweeper series, I always recommend 921s. I know they are expensive, and I know others can use cheaper springs and it works, but at 7000 I don't want valve float with such high lift cams. remember the piston chases the exhuast valve. If it hangs the piston will help close it. Not good.

For what is it worth, for a while I was running a small place called KPE (Klaus Performance Engineering) not technically a business but more like an overdone hobby working only on GTOs (LS1/LS2). I went for about 2 years, 3 out of 4 weeks with a different GTO in the driveway on the weekends. I have installed more cams than I can remember. I have done mountains of research into this and this extremely long post is the result.

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

Oh, one other thing, that custom cam I got from Thunder Racing has the XFI lobes so I took out the 921s and replaced them with Crane Duals. This results in quieter operation and less load on the valvetrain. Less load on the valve train results in less friction so less heat. I am after longevity.

Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

Thanks.

Thread Information