Black
    1998 Trans Am

Stock 98 Cylinder Heads

I'm going to be installing a cam in my 98 ws6 in the near future and I'm wondering if their is any performance to be had by porting the stock Cylinder Heads. I know the 243's flow better stock but could I make my stockers flow as good or better than the 243's?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Blksnshn View Post
    I'm going to be installing a cam in my 98 ws6 in the near future and I'm wondering if their is any performance to be had by porting the stock Cylinder Heads. I know the 243's flow better stock but could I make my stockers flow as good or better than the 243's?
    With a bunch of work you could make them flow better but I don't think you will get them to flow as much as Ported 243's. I would just save up and do a set of 243's at least if not aftermarket. If you plan to pull the heads, go a little bit better then your stockers. Thats just my .02
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    With a bunch of work you could make them flow better but I don't think you will get them to flow as much as Ported 243's. I would just save up and do a set of 243's at least if not aftermarket. If you plan to pull the heads, go a little bit better then your stockers. Thats just my .02
    Yeah, I've been looking for some 243's but can't find any under $600.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I got mine for $500 which I jumped on. Just keep checking the boards and ebay. That is unless you need this done soon, do to your car being a DD or such. I would just put some money away and do it the way that would bring the most joy to yourself. 241's are not a big enough jump to justify them in my book.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I just found a bare set for $400 on ebay. You will want to do valve springs regardless with a cam. So all you would need for these is valves and valve guides, etc... A solid 20hp over 241's right out of the box. If you decide to port and polish and all that good shit, then more and more power

EDIT: You can re-use your rockers

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I just found a bare set for $400 on ebay. You will want to do valve springs regardless with a cam. So all you would need for these is valves and valve guides, etc... A solid 20hp over 241's right out of the box. If you decide to port and polish and all that good shit, then more and more power

EDIT: You can re-use your rockers
    Yeah, I saw that set on ebay. I'm not sure how expensive the LS6 valves are though?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Who would you have do the port work? Nothing wrong with porting and milling what you have especially putting in some bigger valves, with that said you would get more hp out of some trickflows and afr's.

And a stroker motor, and a supercharger. In all seriousness if you know of someone who can do the work well use them, but who are you going to find who work heads for under $600.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

LS6 valves are expensive but you don't have to go with them. You can go with just about anything that will fit. C5Z28 is right, port and polish work gets expensive very quick. If your going to do the work and never did it before, I would mess around on your heads before messing around on anything better.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Who would you have do the port work? Nothing wrong with porting and milling what you have especially putting in some bigger valves, with that said you would get more hp out of some trickflows and afr's.
    And a stroker motor, and a supercharger. In all seriousness if you know of someone who can do the work well use them, but who are you going to find who work heads for under $600.
    I know a guy who runs a speed shop and has 30+ years experience porting heads. He owes me some money for work I did for him. I just don't know what the limit is on the stock 98 heads. I'm shooting for around 500-550 horse at the crank. I'm not on a limited time frame but the budget isn't the greatest since I am laid off.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Heads are more important than a cam when looking to optimize the most of what you have. I highly doubt you would get close to that # w/o getting bigger valves, but for your budget it sounds like that's the best your going to do.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

worth keeping in mind OP is that the 243s were offered on much more than the ls6. call the junk yards and ask if there are any wrecked grand prix gxp, monte carlo SSs(new style) and if the motor is still there ..buy the heads off of them for cheap. the only issue is that the valves are not the lightweight ones that the ls6s have.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have some slp stage 2 cnc ported and polished, from my 98 750 plus shipping.

red
    2000TA

got the corvette ls forums for heads.

Thread Information