Thread: some advice

midnight blue
    2002 camaro

some advice

i have a 02 camaro and i am going to do heads and cam swap this winter. i already have a set of stage3 patriot heads. and i am looking to get the polluter cam from tickperformance, of the ms3 cam from texas speed. does anyone have any advice?? and about what numbers i will put down on the dyno? the car is a 6-speed and is not a daily driver. just when its nice out or i go to the track

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

First off who knows what kind of #'s you'll put down? What are your #'s right now? I don't know if those cams have only one config so just telling us who makes them doesn't tell me much. what's the lift and duration of the cam? What size comb chamber and vlv's are in the heads, exhaust stock?
    Mine is a 6spd with gm hot cam 219/229, 525 duration, and 112 sep. With 1.8 roller rockers stock heads and intake. MAC mid-legth headers, SLP y-pipe, ATR catback. And some other bolt-ons, with the Dyno tune it has 367hp at the whls.
    Yours if you don't have any exhaust mods or intake should/could be around 350hp rear whls, if you have mod exhaust and intake around 400-450hp possible with a good dyno tune.

midnight blue
    2002 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder 42 View Post
    First off who knows what kind of #'s you'll put down? What are your #'s right now? I don't know if those cams have only one config so just telling us who makes them doesn't tell me much. what's the lift and duration of the cam? What size comb chamber and vlv's are in the heads, exhaust stock?
    Mine is a 6spd with gm hot cam 219/229, 525 duration, and 112 sep. With 1.8 roller rockers stock heads and intake. MAC mid-legth headers, SLP y-pipe, ATR catback. And some other bolt-ons, with the Dyno tune it has 367hp at the whls.
    Yours if you don't have any exhaust mods or intake should/could be around 350hp rear whls, if you have mod exhaust and intake around 400-450hp possible with a good dyno tune.
    Ok i have hooker headers, catless Y-pipe, slp loudmouth cat back and a tune. The numbers i put down at modern muscle in oswego,il were----346RWHp and 361RWTQ. i have the stock ls6 intake and i have a SLP lid. best time was 12.6

patriot stage 3 heads---STAGE 3 (2.08/1.60/68cc)

magic stick3 cam----237/242 .603/.609" with a 112LSA

or the pollutr cam. they wont give you all the numbers but here are the ones they do give.POLUTR Tick Performance Polluter Cam (24x/24x (.61x"/.61x") 112LSA).

i hope this is what you were needing. anything else let me know ill tell you. im just looking to get a rough idea of what power i will have. i have a ls2 intake and can get the 90mm tb. i do think it will be better than stock but not sure how much.

red
    2000TA

will that big of intake valve fit in a 5.7 bore?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Tuzz
    Your going to be in the 400's for sure. Make sure you get at least a 80mm TB or bigger like you said 90mm seems to be what everybody's doing now. I'd say 420hp easy, is that magic stick cam a little crazy? I think mine has a nice sort of rough idle with my cam and it doesn't have anywhere near those numbers.

midnight blue
    2002 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    will that big of intake valve fit in a 5.7 bore?
    yes the heads will fit. they are actually made for the 5.7. i got the heads for free so i cant complain.

midnight blue
    2002 camaro

blue thunder 42
    what size cam do you suggest? i also heard something about using a 80mm mass. what do you think? aftermarket are not suggested by really anyone, but you can get an 80mm mass off like a 2005 6.0l chevy truck and i think the gto has the same.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Tuzz, go for the cam with the big numbers as long as like you said, it's a Friday night track weapon. If it's used as a DD I'd go with a cam a little bit bigger than mine.
    I've got a 80mm BBK TB it seems to handle the task with ease. If you don't increase you engine size, have a turbo/SC, or spray a 80mm should be fine. But if a 90mm is the same price and works with more aftermarket intakes, go for it.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

If you are a stock botton end those big valve and the long duration on those cams is going to cause PTV issues w/o flycutting. Ask TSP or Tick before you buy the cam. You will also want to cc the heads to make sure they have not been milled.

Thread Information