Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Shortblock or Stroker kit

I bought the car not running with 34xxx on the clock. I got it running and put a full SLP exhaust on it, and a 102mm F.A.S.T. intake and throttle body on it with 42lb injectors. It started knocking and I am either going to stroke it to a 383 or go for a shortblock. I want to drive it daily still and get decent gas mileage 18
    +. I want to know what the best thing to do would be, I know I need heads because I'm bringing in more air that I can use, but this just happened so I'm kinda lost. I would like some opinions on a head and cam package, and on the engine thing, thanks.

red
    2000TA

mite be cheaper to buy a short block and sell your short block.check the vendors on this forum for short block sales.I recommend trick flow 220cc fast as cast heads,good flow numbers for $1699.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

um have you tuned for the 42lbs injectors ?

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Yeah, I tuned for the injectors. The short block would be cheaper, but I want to keep the LS1, can I sleeve it and get about 400ci out of it? I want to make about 600-700RWHP.

2002 Camaro Z28

I would stroke it, going to need forged internals. Very high flowing heads and a big cam. I don't know how streetable it will be at that point and to make that kind of power at the wheels kiss 18+mpg good bye. Probably need some forced induction too. But if you got money to burn, go for it.

Also, just curious, what was wrong with the car having such low mileage?
    Last edited by JunkyardZ; 05-05-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Yeah, I was looking for kits and don't know what to get. And it gets about 30mpg on the highway, I just wanted to keep it relatively decent. I just got my bonus at work and got about 10k to spend. I know Trick Flow has good heads and shit, but if I don't know how big I want to go and how big a cam I should get. I was thinking about a remote turbo also for forced induction like an STS system, but all I hear is bad about them, but everyone I've seen has been really good.

red
    2000TA

very expensive to sleeve it.use a ls2 block bigger bore ,and stroke it .your will need L92 heads,or AFR 215 or 225,or trick flow 215 or bigger.whats your budget?

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

I work at a machine shop so I can do all that shit. I have at most 15k to spend, but I'm looking more at 10k. I was thinking about a LS2, but I will just stay with the LS1. I saw that Texas Speed has a 402 kit for the LS1, but I don't know and haven't heard much about their shit. But heads, if I go with the 402 I'll get some heads that will work better with the 4"+ bore. And I'm still lost on the cam. I just saw a 402 dyno sheet and it was about 575/530 at 4500.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

At least I think it was for the LS1, I'm going to look more into it and probably call them tomorrow.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

It was an iron short block. Does anyone know how big I can go with the LS1 aluminum block?

2002 Camaro Z28

Call texas speed and have them put you together a combo. 383 with forged internals would be a good foundation. They have 383 rotating assemblies for LS1. I think anything bigger calls for a 6.0 block. They would be able point you towards some heads and cam. Just tell them you want to build a fire breathing LS1, they can help. But you will probably want to decide if you are going to go with a turbo or keep it NA that could make a difference in how you set up the engine.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Darton makes sleeves for the LS1, I talked to a tech there and he said they can make custom sleeves for any application. I really want a 400ci motor, which would be a 4.00" bore and stroke. Now I want to know if a 383 crank and rods would work.? And I still don't know about a cam. I want something streetable, but also fairly aggressive. And pistons, I know I need to talk to a tech from somewhere about most of this shit, but I want other opinions.

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

sbscribd

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

What?

Thread Information