White
    1975 Vette

Rookie with cam questions

Hello,

my buddy has a 99 SS with 6spd and everything is stock. His only mods are a SLP air box and SLP mass air flow sensor plus flowmaster cat back exhaust. The car is his daily driver but he still drives it hard from time to time. His water pump just went so He is thinking of a cam swap. A Location LS1 shop quoted him 1,000 bucks to replace the water pump, and do a cam swap, timing chain, and dyno tune. Thats just labor and he needs to pay for the parts.

He is only looking at a cam swap now and not heads, intake, or anything else. He might do full tube headers later on.

What cam grinds and cam company's would you guys recommend? and what kind of power increase can he see over stock set up?

He is looking for as much power as he can in a usable rpm range. and a choppy idle is a plus.

Thanks, any info or suggestions would be recommended. I'm into older carbed chevy motors and my buddy doesn't know a thing about motors yet so we're looking for help lol.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Water pump is NOT tied into the cam.

I would not cam a car with the SLP MAF on it. Put the stocker back on before hand.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

White
    1975 Vette

The stock mass air flow sensor shit the bed lol. the car ran like crap and was losing power so he got the SLP one from another camaro guy and it ran good again.

Why not cam with SLP? I don't know too much about LS1s

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

SLP SUCKS!!!!

Replace the stock MAF with a stock MAF.
    The aftermarket MAF's for these cars are overall junk....and require tuning to perform correctly. Just not worth it.

hugger orange

if he REALLY wants to to keep the SLP (Dephi) maf, I have the calibration tables for it.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

my buddy has a 99 SS with 6spd and everything is stock. His only mods are a SLP air box and SLP mass air flow sensor plus flowmaster cat back exhaust. The car is his daily driver but he still drives it hard from time to time. His water pump just went so He is thinking of a cam swap. A Location LS1 shop quoted him 1,000 bucks to replace the water pump, and do a cam swap, timing chain, and dyno tune. Thats just labor and he needs to pay for the parts.
    thats a fair price on all that work... but id try to do it yourself first..

What cam grinds and cam company's would you guys recommend? and what kind of power increase can he see over stock set up?
    i like texas speed myself.. texas-speed.com... you can look on their site at products.. or give them a call and jon or matt or someone can help you with your setup..
    something like an ms3 sounds right for what your looking for... but i know VERY little about what your goals are.. so that is a shot in the dark.. and dont buy that cam just cause i said that..
    a cam like that should net you about 50rwhp gain..

you will want to do ls6 intake ported TB timing chain oil pump LT's cutout springs pushrods tune with that also..

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

BTW.. slp lids are about the only good thing they make..

Pewter
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Yeah I always deal with Jon or Jason at texas-speed and have always had great results. The MS3 is kind of a big cam especially for someone who has never had one before, it also is outdated. If youre looking for something like that I would run the MS4 Ive seen bolt on cars make close to 440 rwhp with that cam, ls6 intake, and long tubes. Its not that hard to do a cam swap, make sure you time it right (always a good idea to degree it) and DONT nick the cam bearing or else your gonna pulling the motor out. You also are going to have to upgrade valvetrain, like pushrods and a serious set of valve springs.

Thread Information