Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Roller rockers????

I was wondering when you are suppose to change the rockers to rollers in a LS1. I have 1999 Firehawk with 70K miles on it. The SLP performance pack kits have 1.8 roller rockers listed as part of the 375hp and 400hp kit. Last night I purchased LT headers, ORY, 160 stat, smooth bellow, and a Diablo programmer for tuning. I already have the SLP dual dual exhaust, lid, and K&N, but noticed the performance pack had the rockers and MAF. Should I really change the rockers?

I wouldnt without changing the springs also...you could get away with the cheap ls6 springs. Oh and stay away from the MAF.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

only when you change springs.. which i wouldn't do unless i was adding a cam.

how much HP do Roller rockers save and what are their benefits?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_06374 View Post
    I wouldnt without changing the springs also...you could get away with the cheap ls6 springs. Oh and stay away from the MAF.
    Just so I understand, are you saying that the MAF is not needed in his application, or that it is not needed in general? Just wondering because I was considering purchasing an 85mm soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Gundlach9 View Post
    Just so I understand, are you saying that the MAF is not needed in his application, or that it is not needed in general? Just wondering because I was considering purchasing an 85mm soon...

The stocker is good for 400whp+, spend your money else were.

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

My main question is, do I change the springs and/or rockers because of the bolt on parts. All the posts I read said leave the MAF stock, is this wrong?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by blownh2x View Post
    My main question is, do I change the springs and/or rockers because of the bolt on parts. All the posts I read said leave the MAF stock, is this wrong?
    Stock MAF is fine, in fact from what I have heard many people have troubles with aftermarket MAFs. As for rockers, I would not bother changing them unless you have a really good reason (new heads, or absolutely need them because of failure). I would especially recommend staying away from high ratio rockers like 1.8 because if you ever decide to change your cam then you will have limited choices. Springs I would also not worry about until you do something like change cams (maybe with 1.8 rockers I would change springs to something stronger).

The ratio rockers add lift to the stock cam, the stock springs can barely handle the lift of the stock cam.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

forget about the SLP package... you can get better gains for a much better price...

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    forget about the SLP package... you can get better gains for a much better price...
    I wouldn't buy the SLP package either. I used it for a guide on what to change in relation to HP and everything that goes hand in hand. I purchased some knock-off stainless headers(I'm ok with knock-offs), 3" pacesetter y-pipe, the diablo predator programmer (I liked the OBD scanner capability for other vehicles), and then a low temp thermostat. I just didn't understand the roller rockers on the SLP package and started second guessing myself on needing them or not.

All the post have been a great help, keep them coming.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I wouldn't buy the SLP package either. I used it for a guide on what to change in relation to HP and everything that goes hand in hand. I purchased some knock-off stainless headers(I'm ok with knock-offs), 3" pacesetter y-pipe, the diablo predator programmer (I liked the OBD scanner capability for other vehicles), and then a low temp thermostat. I just didn't understand the roller rockers on the SLP package and started second guessing myself on needing them or not.

All the post have been a great help, keep them coming.
    oh good!!!

here is another thing to keep in mind... i'd love to get roller rockers jsut to relieve some stress on the valve train... how ever i would stay with the stock ratio... most after market cams are made with stock rocker ratio in mind...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

this is the issue with maf's i believe..people put them on and think without tuning they will give you some kind of gain..aftermarket mafs arent bad...just that the car must be tuned to use the am maf correctly

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

458 rwhp here, and still running the stock MAF w/no issues...

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    458 rwhp here, and still running the stock MAF w/no issues...
    Thats great to know.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

First off. Don't get SLP or SLP coppies of the headers they hang way too low. Pace setter are good price and not too low. Stainless works are mondo expensive but higher and tighter and some of the best researched products i've seen.

as for MAF. It is an essential engine sensor and can really mess up everything including your air/fuel ratio. if your going to buy a new MAF and put in there ( SLP, or ANY other brand) be prepared to check it's calibration with a wide band 02 sensor.

with just bolt ons you have no reason to mess with the roller rockers. I'd do a lot of other things first such as a fluiddampr (harmonic balancer), a light weight fly wheel for a M6 or a torque converter for an A4

as for the "diablo" it will just stick a regular tune in there your better off with a mail order tune. or learning to tune the right way which takes tons of studying.

also don't forget to set your fan temps lower since you have a 160 deg. thermostat.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The factory springs suck! If you want to make some power with simple bolt-ons, upgrade the pushrods, springs and the rockers that have been know to puke out the bearings.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I gained .2 in a 1/4 mile with roller rockers but I hear the stock rockers are good also. Stay away from the aftermarket MAFs, My car was hard to tune with an aftermarket MAF. I put a new untouched stock MAF back on and finally got it tuned correctly and it runs much better now.
    2010 Camaro
    2006 GTO, LS2, 1 of 475
    2009 Chevy Silverado

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Thread Information