Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 TA WS6

Roller Rocker advice

Hello
    I have had a new motor built for my 98WS6 Ram Air TA.

Heres a basic list of the build..

Its an B & B LS2 402 stroker short block with forged pistons assembled by Wheels to Wheels, fully CNC ported slant shaved 11 to 1-ish compression Z06 heads with titanium spring retainers, Competition Cams roller cam with a bit over 600 lift, LS6 intake, stock TB and MAF, liquid filled harmonic balancer, custom pcm tune, Kooks long tube stainless steel headers, high flow cats and Y-Pipe, 4 10 gear. Factory 6 speed.

BeCool radiator and fan assembly.

Its was a big $ build and I tryed to get by for now with the stock rockers but I really need to upgrade, and the rest of the car too since it wants to go sideways in 1, 2 and even 3rd sometimes

anyways I need to get advice on whats the hot rocker set up for such a big roller cam deal. These stock rockers are quite noisy ;(

Thanx for any help and yes I know I need a rear-end, clutch, suspension, brakes and bigger rear wheels and tires, ect also .....

Pics throughout the build process are attached here somewhere, Im new here and first tryed to just embed them in the thread....
    Last edited by LSXWS6; 08-06-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Red
    1998 TA WS6

No one wants to be nice and extend themselves???

Sure, I could just make some calls and search but I thought it would be fun to ask here. Does no one have any advice to share???

Last edited by LSXWS6; 06-19-2007 at 03:37 AM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Check out Crane Cams.....Call thier Tech dept. & get the skinny on what else you may need.

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...lvl=3&prt=2059

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Did some research and these seem to be the best for your set up.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Sounds like an awesome set up. Have you had a chance to dyno it yet? Would love to see your numbers because I am going to tear into mine sometime soon.

Question though: why the stock TB and no upgrade? Was it just a money thing or what...just asking, not trying to be an ass.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the vinci/crane accelerated lift rockers are the way to go. it's what i use in my motor.
    http://vincihighperformance.com/LS1%...L#rocker%20arm

they are on sale
    http://vincihighperformance.com/superwebdeals.HTML
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i have the 7.1 comp shaft mount rocker set up and i love it. I had the comp rollers before and they are awesome and pretty quiet. They are part number 1500. They list for 1187 but you can find them for around 650.00 - 700.00. Worth the money.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...cture012-1.jpg

Red
    1998 TA WS6

Thanx everyone for the replys. It was built by Lee Gillete at Automotive Dreams here in St Pete Florida. I was looking around to find someone who I felt would do me right and he does some big stuff for clients such as players from the Bucs football team and other people who drop $40,000.00 with no worries.

Mine wasnt that much but it was pricey. He sticks with GM stuff, a lot of his builds are taking either a LS1 or a C5 etc motor and supercharge it, custom fabricate headers from a bunch of SS pipes, then sticks it in an S10 truck lol.

He does all kinds of custom fab work for brakes and whatnot. His newest project is building a 427 stroker twin turbo set up and put that in a 69 camaro and then fix up the suspension and stuff. I cant wait to ride in that one.

So, I told him I wanted an oldschool motor made really strong and would be in that 500 hp range on 93 octane pump gas. I wanted to use my hood scoop and wanted a rough idle cam.He and his friends giggled at me because he builds all these sleeper trucks with superchargers and he never really messes with such cams and thought my wanting to use the hood scoop like old school was pretty silly, lol, because he first said for me to just superchage my original LS1 motor and get the 500hp that way.

As for my using the stock TB he said I didnt need a bigger TB or MAF, I was looking into one of those Fast Intake with the 90mm but he made some calls to his tech buddies and said I didnt really need it. The only thing stock in the valve train is the rockers and my budget was running a bit thin. Im sure many of you guys could perhaps relate. Perhaps I could have waited on the BeCool system but Im in Florida and wanted this too stay cool running. Also, I guess I didnt really need to go full stainless exhaust but oh well.....

He told me that I just should call Comp Cams and look for the rocker for my engine to be good for a 6.25 lift, my lift isnt quite that. I like this board and just wanted to join in here for fun. I will dyno it soon, I still need to get the pcm tweeked because it seems a bit rich. Ill for sure post dyno pull when its done and also post some pics of some of his other projects.

Sorry to babble, just explaining a bit about myself and my friends shop.

Heres some pics of one of these S10 projects (i dont know trucks so this might be a different model ), many of his clients want sleepers so their wife can still hear the radio and stuff

Last edited by LSXWS6; 06-20-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typos, my typing is crap =]]

White
    2001 Z28

Crane Gold Accelerated Lift Roller Rocker Arms are the way to go, but with that much cam you should use 1.7s, 1.8s might cause problems. They come with pushrods, which you have already replaced.

Red
    1998 TA WS6

I looked over lots of these choices and these "COMP CamsĀ® LS1,-2,-6, Gen III shaft rockers pn 1500" seem to be really awesome, now if I can find that $700.00 price. They keep coming up $999.00 and up :~(~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanx again everyone !!!!!

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

I don't understand! Why would w2w build it up, and not use Jesel! I am verry aware of there operation! Doesn't make sense! Hmm
    Last edited by ramrod; 06-21-2007 at 03:32 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

your rockers are noisey? sounds like you or your shop didn't keep them in the order/cyl they were taken off from.. they have a wear pattern liek allother parts...

roller rockers are going to be noisey no matter what... but they are worth it... also if you can get a shaft mounted set... makes shit alot easier when something breaks...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    your rockers are noisey? sounds like you or your shop didn't keep them in the order/cyl they were taken off from.. they have a wear pattern liek allother parts...
    this is incorrect advice. placement doesn't matter. most all that keep stock rockers and go with an aftermarket cam, get the sewing machine sound. it comes with the territory.

i use the crane poly-matrix shaft mount rockers in my 408. they have no needle bearings, which are what makes the noise.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    I don't understand! Why would w2w build it up, and not use Jesel! I am verry aware of there operation! Doesn't make sense! Hmm
    easy answer. go over to the tech site and when you ask about rockers, most people say stock rockers are fine. after all, there are 9 second cars running stock rockers. a stigma that needs changing.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    easy answer. go over to the tech site and when you ask about rockers, most people say stock rockers are fine. after all, there are 9 second cars running stock rockers. a stigma that needs changing.
    I hear ya! How many runs thou before you notice a problem? I as well use stock rockers. I have just heard they give you that option!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

also if you getting a cam becareful with the ratio of rockers you order... that can lead to a mess...

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I always wondered why my rockers started becoming noisy after my cam change but from what mmr23 states its normal for more noise after an aftermarket cam is installed. I mostly hear noise from the driver side and it goes away after the car warms up.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My stock rockers are holding a 248/254 629/622 just fine. Been doing it for 1 1/2 years and 7,500 miles.
    When I have the money I will just send them off to be rebuilt by Harland Sharp.

The FAST 90mm intake and a 90mm TB would have been huge on that motor.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    My stock rockers are holding a 248/254 629/622 just fine. Been doing it for 1 1/2 years and 7,500 miles.
    When I have the money I will just send them off to be rebuilt by Harland Sharp.

didn't say they wouldn't. it's just a mentality that runs around when someone mentions rockers. some people don't want a cam, or just want to enhance what they have already. then, they get beat down with the whole stigma of your wasting money and they are worthless. the right rockers get you more overall power. you ever wonder if there is more to be had with your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The FAST 90mm intake and a 90mm TB would have been huge on that motor.
    what motor?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

didn't say they wouldn't. it's just a mentality that runs around when someone mentions rockers. some people don't want a cam, or just want to enhance what they have already. then, they get beat down with the whole stigma of your wasting money and they are worthless. the right rockers get you more overall power. you ever wonder if there is more to be had with your set up?

what motor?
    The original posters motor. A 402 would love the larger intake. Well...maybe not with non-ported LS6 heads.

If there is more to be had with my set-up, great. I have plenty of other stuff to be concerned with right now...the newborn.
    I am sure a set of nice rockers would help out a little bit. Car is already fast enough for me though. It would need a cage if I were to run off the mountain...and it isn't getting one. Hell...I think with more seat time it will come close to needing said cage here.
    As I mentioned...I do eventually plan on having Harland Sharp rebuild mine. Just as a security type thing.
    I understand your point fully, and am not trying to argue it. Just stating that for me, I am good where I am.
    I won't ever say rockers are a waste of money or worthless.

Thread Information