Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rockers

black
    02 trans am ws6

rockers

i think i need new rockers . i have a stock ws6 , is it worth putting a new set of rockers and push rods. before i get a new cam . and if i do should i upgrade now. iam not sure when i am going to get that cam.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think you'll shoot your self twice in the face if you did that before the cam swap. [unless you're doing it yourself, then have a ball!]

what's the issue? i've never heard of a rocker going bad-but bent pushrods are common

black
    02 trans am ws6

i am starting to get a tapping sound . some told me it was my rockers not sure.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

explain "starting" to get a tapping sound...is it constant? does it increase with RPMs?

black
    02 trans am ws6

i hear it mainly when iam at a stop

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

stock rockers have a tendency to spill their needle bearings. as far as being worth it, it's up to you. i put the vinci/crane 1.8 accelerated lift rocker kitand dual springs on the wife's car and picked up 17 rwhp.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    02 trans am ws6

o.k sounds good i will give it a try and see what happens. thanks for the in put

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

If you have heads and a big cam with fully upgraded valveterrain would it be worth it to get 1.7 rockers or would it even work? And how much of a gain?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock rockers are 1.7's.

Just remember, if you already have a large cam that is pushing the limits when it comes to piston-to-valve clearance, you won't want higher ratio rockers.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    If you have heads and a big cam with fully upgraded valveterrain would it be worth it to get 1.7 rockers or would it even work? And how much of a gain?
    the right rockers will net you a fair amount of power. these rockers were banned in the Grand Sport Racing (Rolex Sports Car Series of the 24 Hours of Daytona)

http://vincihighperformance.com/VHP%...HTML#CNL6/1/06

GOLD RACE ROCKERS –

“SO GOOD THEY SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!”

How’s that for a “compliment” from Popular Hot Rodding magazine in their August issue? In providing a brief overview of Grand Sport Racing (Rolex Sports Car Series of the 24 Hours of Daytona), Popular Hot Rodding reported the banishment of Crane’s Gold Race Rockers from the track for being “just to fast,” according to the powers that be.

On the first few practice runs the new GTOs (fielded by Flis Motor Sport’s Spirit of Daytona Racing) equipped with the new LS1 Gold Race Rockers with the “Quick-Lift® technology ran as fast as last season’s series-champion. And that was without any chassis tuning or tweaking! Well, they apparently knew that the rocker’s new geometry can add from 14 to 20 hp to the rear wheels and felt this was potentially unfair, so they banned the use of aftermarket rockers and mandated the use of stock rockers in the GTOs.

We think Popular Hot Rodding summed it up pretty well when they commented; “It’s a rare opportunity for a company’s product to be banned and for them to actually be proud of it.” See the Crane Website for more information on Gold Race Rockers and pick up the August issue of Popular Hot Rodding for a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock rockers are 1.7's.

Just remember, if you already have a large cam that is pushing the limits when it comes to piston-to-valve clearance, you won't want higher ratio rockers.
    Well thats why i was saying go with 1.7 (sorry i forgot to put aftermarket) just looking for some extra ponies and i was curious...And i know my cam is probably too big for 1.8 because im maxing out valve clearance now...I did measure it and im ok by a bit...The cam is as follows TR 232/242 .595/.602 112LSA so even if it were possible is it worth the clams?

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    the right rockers will net you a fair amount of power. these rockers were banned in the Grand Sport Racing (Rolex Sports Car Series of the 24 Hours of Daytona)

http://vincihighperformance.com/VHP%...HTML#CNL6/1/06
    Nice HP gains...Impressive i wish i could fit a set to gain the extra few ponies....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Some will say yes, some will say no.

I think a good set is worth it on a really built set-up.
    Hell...I am still running my stockers with my TSP 248/254 629/622 113 in my 402.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Some will say yes, some will say no.

I think a good set is worth it on a really built set-up.
    Hell...I am still running my stockers with my TSP 248/254 629/622 113 in my 402.
    I'm just worried about valve clearance for the 1.8s or else i would spend the $400-500 to buy em... But i know our stock rockers are pretty good...Thats obvious considering you have a monster cam hehe

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Nice HP gains...Impressive i wish i could fit a set to gain the extra few ponies....

just use the 1.7 version. here's an overview on how the rockers work versus stock and most other aftermarket rockers http://vincihighperformance.com/LS1%...HTML#quicklift

just use the 1.7 version. here's an overview on how the rockers work versus stock and most other aftermarket rockers http://vincihighperformance.com/LS1%...HTML#quicklift
    Nice info!!! Thanks man.. And they just made the rockers for my afr heads but will the quick lift 1.7s be any different then my stockers?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Nice info!!! Thanks man.. And they just made the rockers for my afr heads but will the quick lift 1.7s be any different then my stockers?

the rocker kit will fit any head. the difference was the pushrod length, due to the AFR heads having a .100" taller deck.

read closer on how the rockers work.

cliff notes:

stock rockers open at 1.54 ratio. as they travel through the ramp, tehy get to their advertised 1.7 right about max lift. then, on the way down, they revert back to 1.54.

vinci/crane 1.7 rockers open up at 1.79. then about .250-.300 valve lift, they start converting to 1.72 through max lift. then on the way down, they come back to 1.79 ratio. in theory, you have just changed the duration of the cam at the valve. the motor only cares about what happens at the valve.

the rocker kit will fit any head. the difference was the pushrod length, due to the AFR heads having a .100" taller deck.

read closer on how the rockers work.

cliff notes:

stock rockers open at 1.54 ratio. as they travel through the ramp, tehy get to their advertised 1.7 right about max lift. then, on the way down, they revert back to 1.54.

vinci/crane 1.7 rockers open up at 1.79. then about .250-.300 valve lift, they start converting to 1.72 through max lift. then on the way down, they come back to 1.79 ratio. in theory, you have just changed the duration of the cam at the valve. the motor only cares about what happens at the valve.
    I gotch...AIte so mayb then thats a good choice to help with under the curve power cuz thats all i care about is my ET and you can never have too much power!!! 10-20 is good for the money they cost IMO..

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

this is a complete kit. comes with rockers, guideplates, screw-in-studs, hardened pushrods, and poly-locks.

for correct geometry, the pushrods are shorter than stock. stock is 7.400", these are 7.250", based on stock heads. for the AFR heads, the pushrods are 7.350" to account for the .100" taller deck. so, if you have varied from the original stock length, you need to take that into account. vinci can help you get everything correct for your application.
    Last edited by mrr23; 05-18-2007 at 06:44 PM.

this is a complte kit. comes with rockers, guideplates, screw-in-studs, hardened pushrods, and poly-locks.

for correct geometry, the pushrods are shorter than stock. stock is 7.400", these are 7.250", based on stock heads. for the AFR heads, the pushrods are 7.350" to account for the .100" taller deck. so, if you have varied from the original stock length, you need to take that into account. vinci can help you get everything correct for your application.
    Yea cuz my valveterrain is fully upgraded now with the hardened pushrods and dual valve springs etc... So i will try to get in contact with them to get the ball rolling on the rocker kit...I appreciate all the info man!!! thanks..Oh and 1 last thing the 1.7 give 14-20rwhp according to the article right? Cuz i just skimmed thru it... 16hr work day i didn't have the brain capacity to read it all lol

Thread Information