white
    2000 trans am

Thumbs down rocker arm fell off

My 2000 TransAm has had an LQ9 in it for almost a year. When first started it ran like a champ. Two miles and some gas in the tank later it developed a missss, threw the 0113 code ( multiple random misfire I think is 0113 ) . I thought for the longest time it was an elictrical issue. I have hunted every damn wire on the car chasing an electrical issue that never exisited. I had an P0113 P0107 P0103.
    With the engine runing I started pulling fuel enjector wires and plug wires one at a time, listening for the engine to misss hard untill I located number 4 cylinder as being my mis. I pulled the plug wire and it made no difference. So I pulled the enjector plug and that made no difference to the engine running so that told me number 4 had no fire. The first thing I should have done was remove a valve cover, instead I started on compression test. Bank 1 got to 175 I think and so was bank 2 eccept #4. Finally I pulled the valve cover and before I clear the a/c box I could see the top of the push rod. I get the valve cover out of my way and there is the #4 intake rocker arm laying next to were it is supposed to be bolted. With my trusty Duralast ratchet and 8mm socket and a WTF look on my face I bolt it back in place (after checking the push rod for straitness) and run the rest of the rocker arms. I guess it just fucking fell off?
    Ive put almost 1000 miles on it now and so far nothing else has fell off! Any idea why that could happen?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Whoever had it off the last time did not tighten it correctly. I have seen this on old engines after a rebuild. Some guys have to cut corners and others are just trying to save a buck. If there is wear in the nut threads it will come loose again. If it does, save yourself the hassle and replace it before you break a pushrod.
    Trust me. Its not fun to pick the pieces of a shattered pushrod out of the engine valley.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I believe it's suppose to be 22ft lbs of torque. and to use a blue lock tite on those bolts is a good idea

then rotate the engine and recheck the torque.

Crazy ! and lucky ! I had one back out on my 70 chevelle, That got ugly, you got lucky

white
    2000 trans am

Yes I did get lucky. 50 -60000 mile salvage engine. They said it ran fine. And it does now.

Thread Information