Thread: Regrind Hotcam?

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

Regrind Hotcam?

I am trying to purchase a GM hotcam and have seen a regrind or copy for sale for $100. Would this cam last just as long as one bought from a dealer? Heat treatment, hardening?
    I would prefer to stick to a real mild cam, is the ls6 cam an option? I dont care about crazy horsepower numbers, more concerned with reliability and longevity.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

sellers reputation

Depends on the sellers reputation. You can certainly regrind a cam to different spec's and they are fine. If the guy seems a bit shady I would lay off. Is there a cam card with the new grind? I wouldn't buy any cam without a card.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

Has anyone here used a Regrind cam? any issues with it?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

regrids work just as a new cam... JUST GET THE CARD WITH THE SPECS OF THE NEW GRIND!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

What is it with that cam??

p13b - nearly any other cam that you could pick in the 220's will make more power and tq. For the work involved in a swap and the long term reliability of your engine is this really a place that you feel it's responsible to nickle and dime?

I wish to god that the hot cam would fall off the earth.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pilot13blackcat View Post
    I am trying to purchase a GM hotcam and have seen a regrind or copy for sale for $100. Would this cam last just as long as one bought from a dealer? Heat treatment, hardening?
    I would prefer to stick to a real mild cam, is the ls6 cam an option? I dont care about crazy horsepower numbers, more concerned with reliability and longevity.
    reliability and longevity... check out the few below...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=164&catid=44
    take that with a 116 for a stock sounding idle...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=160&catid=44
    a bit more pep...

as far as reliability i'm not sure what you mean... do you mean fuel consumption or shit breaking...

fuel is going to suffer a little bit with a cam swap... and as far as shit breaking you will want to get better spings and s stronger timing chain... you will also want to get a dyno tune after the cam swap to have the car run smoother...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes have used many. Your application you shouldn't have ANY issues your springs are not going to have enough pressure to wipe out a lobe unless it's all out junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    What is it with that cam??

p13b - nearly any other cam that you could pick in the 220's will make more power and tq. For the work involved in a swap and the long term reliability of your engine is this really a place that you feel it's responsible to nickle and dime?

I wish to god that the hot cam would fall off the earth.
    As Frost said why are you on that cams nut's so hard? Not the best out there by any means.

Lobe Prospecting
    Dur. @ Lobe
    Camshaft 0.050 Lift (in) ---------- Sep.
    Stock LS1, Int. 199 0.497 ------- 119
    Stock LS1, Exh. 208 0.498
    Stock LS6, Int. 204 0.550 ------- 117.5
    12565308, Exh. 218 0.550
    Stock LS6, Int. 207 0.525
    12560950, Exh. 217 0.525
    GMPP Hot, Int. 219 0.525 -------- 116
    12480033, Exh. 228 0.525

What are you trying to accomplish with a cam swap? You wany better TQ and gas mileage? Any billet roller cam that is new and only a $100 I don't want any part of it!

The cam is the most vital component in your motor. To skimp there is like pissing in the wind. Personally I would call Cam Motion and tell them all your specs and exactly what you want it to do and they will make you one EXACTLY for your needs.
    http://cammotion.com/

That's my 2 cents take it or leave it.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

Thank you to everyone for there responses!
    I have decided the 100$ regrind is to risky for me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-H...spagenameZWDVW

I know the hotcam isnt the best cam out there by far; $430 for cam and springs would save me a lot of money!
    There is a article in the new edition of High Perfomance Pontiac about a mild cam swap into a fourth gen. I was really excited to read about the swap except; they spared no expense and replaced every valve train part with comp parts.
    Gm cam and springs $430
    Comp or Crane and springs $600+
    I cant wait to be done with college! I am sick of being cheap

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Prudent

You might be prudent but doubt you are cheap. I run a 218/527...218/527 114 which is a bit hotter than the LS6 and somewhat like the hotcam. Seems everyone has an erection for the hotcam this month. With my mods when rpm hits around 3600 it flys by my standard and I have had a bunch of engines in my 64yrs. 327 cu in with two 4 barrels and large cam in a 1955 Chevy sedan probably not, but the LS1 is a smooth, powerful engine.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

for a nice valve train setup that won't break you, check out the Patriot Performance's "Patriot Gold" spring set. It's a full set of excellent dual-springs, locks, stem seals, and titanium retainers that is good for up to .650 lift for only $255!

I've been running the Ebay Hotcam regrind for about a month now, with no issues. I installed it myself with some yellow Ls6 springs. Awsome lope and
    25rwhp for $160, you cant go wrong....Dont mind the hotcam haters

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_06374 View Post
    I've been running the Ebay Hotcam regrind for about a month now, with no issues. I installed it myself with some yellow Ls6 springs. Awsome lope and
    25rwhp for $160, you cant go wrong....Dont mind the hotcam haters

It's not like that...

Unless your time has completely no value to you whatsoever. In the weekend that you gave up to swap the cam and springs, spending 2x as much to make 2x as much rwhp from a cam seems logical when the amount of work is the same and is really the highest cost involved.

It's not like that...

Unless your time has completely no value to you whatsoever. In the weekend that you gave up to swap the cam and springs, spending 2x as much to make 2x as much rwhp from a cam seems logical when the amount of work is the same and is really the highest cost involved.

Your not going to make 2x as much rwhp from a different cam unless he goes with a Trex or similar. Then his whole idea of wanting reliability and longevity goes right out the window plus he will have to run pricey double springs, locks, retainers, pushrods, timing set etc. IMO Hotcam is perfect for someone on a budget that is looking for a mild cam and not having to worry about changing out the whole valvetrain.
    Last edited by Z28_06374; 07-02-2008 at 01:58 PM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

As noted, the patriot valvetrain kit is $250, and an LS2 stock replacement chain is cheap as well... 40-50rwhp is actually common, and I *VERY* rarely see huge cams like the TREX. Most people (though not all!) are smarter than that or at least listen to the advice given to them when it comes to cam selection.

And again, people's time is worth money. In some cases, it's quite a bit.

But to each their own...

We dont even know what he has for mods if any....I would recommend making sure all of your bolt ons are done (-pulley) and a stall if you have a A4 before doing a cam.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

As noted, the patriot valvetrain kit is $250, and an LS2 stock replacement chain is cheap as well... 40-50rwhp is actually common, and I *VERY* rarely see huge cams like the TREX. Most people (though not all!) are smarter than that or at least listen to the advice given to them when it comes to cam selection.

And again, people's time is worth money. In some cases, it's quite a bit.

But to each their own...
    Agreed, running a very mild cam in my car 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 gained right at 40 RWHP, granted I had the bolt ons to support it, but the cam does great. It is my only car and I have no trouble with driveability, even my MPG did not change. The cam itself might have cost more, but the gains are significant, and if you are going to spend the time why not get more gains. It hurts to put off modding because you are having to save up (saving for a 9" right now myslef ) but I believe a cam should be something that I do not want to change again anytime soon. If I am going to put my money and time into a mod I feel it is best to wait a little longer and get the best I can (highest cost does not always equal the best, but unfortuanly it often does).

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

The Hotcam is a waste of money, and 10+ yr old technology.
    Spartan LSX Performance

Thread Information