Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    35thAnnivCamaroSS

Red Lined Engine

I drive a automatic Camaro SS and was racing a Corvette, shifted it down into 2nd and took off. My dumbass forgot I shifted down to 2nd and forgot to shift up into Drive. You could hear the engine wanting to shift but couldn't. It sounded like it tryed to shift like 2 or 3 times. Anyway, when I heard this, it scared the crap out of me and now I am worrying that I maybe messed something up. It drives fine still and I don't seem to feel or hear anything unusual. I was just wondering if everything seems fine and drives fine, if my car is still in good shape, like if something messed up, would it of already when it happened?? This might be a dumb question but I was just freaking out thinking I just F'ed something up. Anyway, any feedback would be helpful to maybe making me feel better. Thanks, Matt.

Black
    99 SS

you should be fine, you have very strong rod bolts in the 02.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

The transmision wasn't trying to shift, you where probably where bouncing off the rev limiter. Fortunatelly thats why the rev limiter is there, to keep your engine from . As far as screwing your engine the most common result from over-revving are bent pushrods. Although you are probably fine.

A word of advice Don't Manually Shift and A4!!! Buy an M6 is you want to shift!

jk man Good luck
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Spartan_Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird
    A word of advice Don't Manually Shift and A4!!! Buy an M6 is you want to shift!
    lol

true, and he's right about what you felt, it was the rev limiter. Its not good for your car to be redlined, ever, so I'm not going to say what you did was normal, but it should be fine, just some wear and tear...but that comes with racing.

Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

you have a eletronicly controled trans, there is no need to manually shift it, but if you want to do that get a trans with a manual vavle body
    and if your car is stock the rev limiter is set pretty low worst thing you might have done (which is not likley) is bend a push rod they are weak
    Mike Berry
    2000 TransAm WS6 A4
    ASC#6552

dmnall
    The chances of bending a push rod w/ an a4 is pretty slim. The M6s usually bend pushrods by missing a gear when shifting from 3rd to 4th and grab 2nd instead. By missing a gear like what I have described the engine will over rev before the rev limiter kicks in which can bend valves and/or pushrods (usually pushrods). When I test drove the camaro I had, I had tried manually shifting to get it too burn the tires from first gear (2.73s) and I forgot to push the shifter up and I bounced off the rev limiter @ 55 mph for about 1 minuet. Then I shifted after it kicked on and did not damage the engine at all.

I agree do not shift the A4 in your car. You cannot out shift that computer anyways. If you want to shift either do a transmission swap or buy a M6 for an F-body, Vette or Gto.

Charlie

35thAnnivCamaroSS
    thanks guys, i appreciate all the feedback. I feel a lot better now. Yea, I dont usually shift, I was just trying that for the first time seeing how it did comparing to just popping it in drive but believe, I wont be doing that anymore. But again, thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it.

Matt

Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

Try getting a stall, shift kit, trans cooler and 3,.73's you'll like being an auto
    I did the A4 to M6 swap and I did it because the car is mine I had a bunch done to it and had a buddy that want to be a Auto so we switched. I am happy with it but if Iwas still an auto i would drag alot more because I have missed shifts(being a M6 now) before and it sucks

35thAnnivCamaroSS
    where can i get a shift kit and what would be a good stall to get? I have 3.73 gears already

Matt

Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

Yank is a good one and B&M makes a shift kit and trans cooler
    go to http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/ls1catalog.html
    or http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=57

look at the other stuff they have to offer for your transmission

CamaroSSx1999
    yes... u destroyed ur car, now u should sell it before it dies... i will give u 20k for it

35thAnnivCamaroSS
    alright, thanks man

35thAnnivCamaroSS
    lol, i think ill keep my car for now but thanks anyway

35thAnnivCamaroSS
    hey berryWS6, are you talking about the B&M shiftplus, cause I see a shift kit for Transgo, but wasnt sure if you were talking about the B&M shiftplus. Also, what exactly does the shift kit do? Thanks again, Matt

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well now what a sec fella's....I have an A4...TransGo Shift Kit PI 3200 Stall BM Trannie cooler etc.....even if it was stock...the 4L60E only engages 3 of the 4 clutches when you launch from D....you need to launch from a lower gear and shift up to D....I launch from 3 then shift to D...this engages all 4 clutches....of course you have to "shift" to D during the run...or yes....the rev limiter will work her magic ....

Spartan_Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Well now what a sec fella's....I have an A4...TransGo Shift Kit PI 3200 Stall BM Trannie cooler etc.....even if it was stock...the 4L60E only engages 3 of the 4 clutches when you launch from D....you need to launch from a lower gear and shift up to D....I launch from 3 then shift to D...this engages all 4 clutches....of course you have to "shift" to D during the run...or yes....the rev limiter will work her magic ....
    I've never heard that before...where did you find this out?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Originally from a trannie rebuilder...then from GM Tech.....big difference in launching from 3 than launching from D....
    It also has to do with the line pressure....the "4th" doesn't even activate until like 45mph....so by launching in 3 you are telling the transmission to activate all clutches as if you are pulling something or going up a hill etc. versus having it "automatically" engage at the predetermined mph.....

Spartan_Angel
    Damn, had I known that I would have blown my transmission even sooner

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey a Foat Wuth guy...my hometown

Spartan_Angel

Thread Information