Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Questions on Stroker kits and H/C

Ive been looking around and reading lately and i think ive changed my mind from buying heads and cam to buying either a 408 stroker kit or a 427 stroker kit. Im just curious on the power difference this would give me over heads and cam. I plan on dropping a single turbo into the car sometime in the next year and i was thinking more forged than heads and cam package now. The car has 120xxx miles on it. How much do installs on this usually go for at local shops too? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lunatikgixxer; 07-24-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Ive been looking around and reading lately and i think ive changed my mind from buying heads and cam to buying either a 408 stroker kit or a 427 stroker kit. Im just curious on the power difference this would give me over heads and cam. I plan on dropping a single turbo into the car sometime in the next year and i was thinking more forged than heads and cam package now. The car has 120xxx miles on it. How much do installs on this usually go for at local shops too? Thanks.
    It all depends. A good H/C will give you a good 430-450rwhp. A 400+ CI can make as much as 600, but usually make mid 500's. It all really comes down to how much you want to spend. And yes I would def go forged if you wanna boost it.

How much do you wanna spend? Strokers ARE NOT CHEAP. I would guess maybe 3-4k for a good block and at least a good 10k for parts. So your looking at clost to 12-13k just for parts if not more. Throw in another 4-5k for a procharger and your closing in at nearly 20k.
    LOL as far as install goes, you might as well just not do it. Labor is not cheap. A good quality shop will chare about $90 per hour...so you do the math. Then you will need to spend a good $500-1000 getting it tuned.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok.. nevermind. Lol im not trying to spend a boat load over here i guess i didnt have enough info on the strokers lol. I will stick with h/c combo. I think im going to go with TSP's stage 2.5 5.3L H/C Combo, or is it worth it spend a few hundred more and get the ls6 H/C combo?? Im going to run the MS3 camshaft. Is there anything else i would need or does that kit include everything?
    Last edited by Lunatikgixxer; 07-24-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

ok.. nevermind. Lol im not trying to spend a boat load over here i guess i didnt have enough info on the strokers lol. I will stick with h/c combo. I think im going to go with TSP's stage 2.5 5.3L H/C Combo, or is it worth it spend a few hundred more and get the ls6 H/C combo?? Im going to run the MS3 camshaft. Is there anything else i would need or does that kit include everything?
    Texas speed has a h/c combo. I think they have the 5.3 heads, AFR heads, and even LS6 heads with your choice of cam. I just glanced at it and didnt read any of the details. I didnt read anything about springs, so I dont know if they come with it. None the less, at the very least you will need new springs and pushrods. I would change the timing chain, oil pump, and a new pulley while you have everything taken apart.

Is there anything else done to your car?

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

no, this is going to be the first internal changes done. I have all the minor bolt ons. I think the heads in the package come fully put together with springs and chromoly pushrods. Is there any difference between the 5.3L heads and the ls6 heads, HP wise. Would i notice a difference?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

no, this is going to be the first internal changes done. I have all the minor bolt ons. I think the heads in the package come fully put together with springs and chromoly pushrods. Is there any difference between the 5.3L heads and the ls6 heads, HP wise. Would i notice a difference?
    I would go with the LS6 heads, I have not heard too many bad things about them. A good set of heads with the MS3 can make some really good numbers. Some guy at a car show had an MS4 with 243 heads and he was pushing 450 rwhp (But the MS4 is a little bigger than yours). Just double check that your heads come fully assembled.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I would go with the LS6 heads, I have not heard too many bad things about them. A good set of heads with the MS3 can make some really good numbers. Some guy at a car show had an MS4 with 243 heads and he was pushing 450 rwhp (But the MS4 is a little bigger than yours). Just double check that your heads come fully assembled.
    wow thats nice numbers right there. I wouldnt mind getting the ms4 but i dont think its an option. I was also looking at the 233/239 cam that they have. It has specs that i like and ive heard some good things about it. Yes im going to make sure it does i will give them a call or email before the purchase. Thanks

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

wow thats nice numbers right there. I wouldnt mind getting the ms4 but i dont think its an option. I was also looking at the 233/239 cam that they have. It has specs that i like and ive heard some good things about it. Yes im going to make sure it does i will give them a call or email before the purchase. Thanks
    I would get the MS3 over the MS4, especially if you live in an area with traffic and drive the car a lot.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If your seriously going boost forge the motor you have. A member posted a vid of a 347 with a turbo making 800rwhp running in the 9's. Certainly reconsider what type of heads and cam your getting.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoxO_XeJG-Q[/ame]

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You can always stroke the motor to a 383 instead of buying a whole new block. You would be surprised what kind of numbers a procharged 383 will make if built right. But as me and c5z28 mentioned, you will HAVE TO forge it if you want to run boost.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ya i want to run boost in the future for sure. On the stock block and stock motor is 383 the highest i can go? My knowledge isnt huge on the Stroker kits...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

ya i want to run boost in the future for sure. On the stock block and stock motor is 383 the highest i can go? My knowledge isnt huge on the Stroker kits...
    No. You can re-sleeve it to a 427 (I think). Just make sure w/e you do that the motor is forged. How much boost do u want to run?

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

About 12psi. Anything over that would be kinda ridiculous for a DD. What kind of HP gains could i get if i just rebuilt it and forged it at a 347?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

More than you can handle

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

lol seriously. What kind of numbers would a forged 347 produce? About the same as H/C combo?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

lol seriously. What kind of numbers would a forged 347 produce? About the same as H/C combo?
    With boost? More than a n/a car. Lots of variables like turbo and exhaust efficiency/meth/blower cam/heads etc. Just to make you happy 600rwhp.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

lol no i know what to expect with a turbo im saying if i just buy the 347 stroker kit right now as is and rebuilt it with forged stuff. I have full exhaust, a lid, MSD wires, and a frost tune.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If u can get your hands on a 347 stroker, forge it, buy some nice heads and cam and throw a blower on it, there is no reason for you to be making anything less than 500 rwhp with a good tune. Wouldn't really advise it for a dd, you will be sorry at one point.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ya i understand. I think im just going to go with the ms3 and ls6 heads

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Probably your best bet if your on a budget.

Thread Information