Questions for lq4 build.

Please be patient as this is my first v8 build. I recently picked up a couple '00 lq4's for $650. One was a fire damaged long block and the other is a complete lift out with 200k. I've tore down the long block and found several cylinders were holding water. I've posted some pics below of the worst of the damage. I'm hoping this block is salvageable as I've got plans to stroke the other block next winter. Anyhow, I'd like to build this motor as budget friendly as possible. Power goals are 400-450rwhp N/A through a T-56. I've picked up an ls1 crank to replace the stock lq4. I'd like to keep the stock rods. Please give me some suggestions on a H/C combo and pistons. I've been looking at the l92 heads but don't know what cam and pistons would complement these best. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, The stock LQ motor cranks are the same as LS1. But if this motor had water in the cylinder and possible hydro locked... I would trust any of that crap. A stock bottom end LQ4 is a low compression motor. mid 9's. L92 heads flow great, but for stock cubes (364) I probably wouldnt use them unless I got a hellvua deal on them. Mainly just the runner size is large losing air velocity/low end TQ. If your doing cam/pistons/rods/ why the heck did you buy a stock throw LS1 crank? The only option here, to make decent sense of the money your going to spend is to stroke it. 4" stroke crank. 4x4 gives you 402 CI and more then enough to clean up the walls years later. 4 x 4 plus .030" over give you 408. Dont do the LS1 crank and then upgrade rods and pistons.

If it HAS to be a complete budget build. Find stock LQ parts people are selling. They are cheap. Forget your rods, one has 200,000 miles on them and the other set has had water in the cylinder. Scrap them. Buy new.... used rods.... PLEASE upgrade to ARP 2000 rod bolts while they are out. Then choose your heads. If you go with stock LQ4 pistons, your going to want a small chambered head with a mill to get your compression up some. Heres my build in a short line. I dont wanna type it all out. Its not budget build so far, and will never be. Your idea of budget build might be different then mine.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

the 99-00 lq4 cranks are too long to use a t-56 transmission. that's the only reason for getting the ls1 crank. I'll have my machine shop take a look at the rods and go from there. I found out yesterday that this block had less than 100k on the clock.

Thread Information