Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quest for a good street h/c package

I'm shopping around for a good head/cam setup for my WS6. I don't plan to order anything immediately, but plan to take a month or so to decide for sure what to buy, then order in August.

My WS6 is a daily driver, so I want to maintain decent vacuum and idle. (My current mods are: Bassani true duals, Pacesetter LTs, 3500 stall & supercooler, P&P TB, SLP lid) I do like a slightly choppy idle, but not anything that is going to die out on me at a stoplight.

Heads are going to be the first decision, then a cam to match them. What are the best head options out there for a LS1 (and how much $$$ do they run)?

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I drive my SS daily and here is my setup. Ls6 Stage 2 patriot performance heads, Ls1 Speed Inc SI3 cam 224/224 .581 lift lsa 114, and a Ls6 intake. My other mods are just like yours headers etc... Parts I'd recommend blueprinted oil pump and arp studs/bolts both are not a must have, but both are cheap insurance. Call Speed Inc they normally have a head and cam special. Here is the number 866-571-SPEED.
    Last edited by vetteemt; 06-25-2007 at 10:54 AM.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I've got TSP's 228R LSA 114 cam and the only time i have problems with it dying is when i'm running my a/c but it only happens a few times a week.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Did you get a tune from TSP with it?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

No i had someone tune it with there hp tuner, full bolt ons and cam only i made 407/376

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    What are the best head options out there for a LS1 (and how much $$$ do they run)?
    Look at the PRC stuff from Texas Speed and Performance aka TSP. They offer excellent flow/velocity for very little money. By far the best bang for the buck! I got my heads/cam package from them, which included everything I needed - a pair of complete heads, cam, pushrods, all gaskets, bolts, lifters, oil pump for $2000.

As long as the car is properly tuned, many "big" cams will drive fine. My MS4 (a TSP grind), which is considered a fairly big cam by most, has nearly identical driveability as my old 222/222 little baby cam did. Idle is choppy, but stable, and hasn't stalled since the tune. Vacuum issues are non-existant with most of the stuff for the LS1 - you can get away with more on todays grinds than your typical SB of years ago. At least get something with 230+ duration, as the smaller cams WILL leave you wanting more very soon!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Look at the PRC stuff from Texas Speed and Performance aka TSP. They offer excellent flow/velocity for very little money. By far the best bang for the buck! I got my heads/cam package from them, which included everything I needed - a pair of complete heads, cam, pushrods, all gaskets, bolts, lifters, oil pump for $2000.

As long as the car is properly tuned, many "big" cams will drive fine. My MS4 (a TSP grind), which is considered a fairly big cam by most, has nearly identical driveability as my old 222/222 little baby cam did. Idle is choppy, but stable, and hasn't stalled since the tune. Vacuum issues are non-existant with most of the stuff for the LS1 - you can get away with more on todays grinds than your typical SB of years ago. At least get something with 230+ duration, as the smaller cams WILL leave you wanting more very soon!
    Did you get the tune from TSP too? If so, did you have to tune it much afterward? I have HPTuners, but am fairly new to it. I've changed tire sizes and copied high performance tables, but that's all I really know so far. I'll probably get a dyno tune after the h/c package by a pro, since I don't plan on any further upgrades to the motor for a long time. I've tuned many old carbed motors for big cams, but am not very familiar with the newer computer controlled motors...

Thread Information