Red
    1956 Chevy 210 Wagon

Push rod guide plates too tight!

How tight should push rod guide plates be? I bought a set and they are extremely tight to the point of scraping off metal with two sets of push rods. How tight should guide plates be??

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If I recall PR guides don't carry a spec.. They should'nt be overly tight.. By "scraping off metal" do you mean they are binding? If that's the case then you'll need to open them up some.. A fine flat metal (blade type) file should do the trick.. Just don't go hog wild with a heavy cutting file,, just take off a little.. A small amount of side to side play is ok..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-07-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh and I would'nt do them while they are installed you don't need fine metal particals getting into things.. Shoot them with a light lubricant before filing, liquid wrench works well.. They may become magnetized durring filing.. Dropping them on your bench top will de-magnetize them and cause most filings to fall away or tap each one on your vises anvil section.. After,, wipe them off and reinstall..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-07-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Red
    1956 Chevy 210 Wagon

I just love buying parts!!!

As to the ush rod guides, I threw them away, and bought a another set that work! I hope Pro Comp heads are better than their pushrod guides or I'm in trouble! I guess I'll find out when I run the engine I'm putting together! I've had to buy a complete set of head bolts and second set of pushrod guides and a second set of intake manifold gaskets as the stuff sent me from Pro Com for the heads was unusable contrary to what I was told by Pro Comp people. Original 350 head bolts would not clear valves. I had to by a set with a smaller head size. The intake manifold gasket from proComp would not line up with Edelbrock Performer Intake properly, and the push rod guides were way to small for any pushrod I've ever seen. They're in the shop trash can now! Thanks Pro Comp! I hope the heads work out better than the other stuff the sent me! They look good!
    Last edited by Mr. D; 06-08-2010 at 11:24 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    As to the ush rod guides, I threw them away, and bought a another set that work! I hope Pro Comp heads are better than their pushrod guides or I'm in trouble! I guess I'll find out when I run the engine I'm putting together! I've had to buy a complete set of head bolts and second set of pushrod guides and a second set of intake manifold gaskets as the stuff sent me from Pro Com for the heads was unusable contrary to what I was told by Pro Comp people. Original 350 head bolts would not clear valves. I had to by a set with a smaller head size. The intake manifold gasket from proComp would not line up with Edelbrock Performer Intake properly, and the push rod guides were way to small for any pushrod I've ever seen. They're in the shop trash can now! Thanks Pro Comp! I hope the heads work out better than the other stuff the sent me! They look good!
    WOW.. I thought it seemed stange they were small.. I had no idea they were that small though.. I don't think filing them was gonna do any good from the sounds of it.. Hope it works out for ya.. Was the company aware of the type of head bolts, and push rods you were going to be using?
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-08-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Thread Information