Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

PRC 5.3 heads vs. LS6 heads

Hello All. I just got done reading up on a bunch of good threads from the search feature, however I thought I would post this in hopes I could get a little more insight into my specific setup.

It's time for heads. My own cost to benefit analysis has led me to choose between the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads and the Stage 2.5 LS6 heads. Right now I'm making 390 rwhp and 388 rwtq with cam and bolt ons. My goal is to get closer to 430 rwhp from my daily driver (it isn't really a daily driver, however I would like for it to be as dependable as one). My only planned future mods are a 100 - 125 shot of N20 (still haven't decided between wet, dry or direct port) and a Moser 9" rear.

From the feedback and dyno numbers others have posted, both heads would be great for my setup. Therein lies the problem....how do I determine which is BEST? It looks like the LS6 heads have slightly better flow numbers, however the 5.3 heads might effectively raise compression more, hence creating more power without sacraficing low end torque. You guys have any thoughts as to which heads would work best for me? Finally, with your recommendation, can you please also let me know what your thoughts are regarding milling the heads as well.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

cyclone grey
    2006 pontiac gto

go with the ls6 heads as its a better flowing head
    2006 gto cyclone grey ls2 m6
    aps tt system,90mm ported fast intake,elite catch can,b&m short shifter,fiske profil 10 18x8 1/2 245/40/18ZR 38mm offset fr 18x9 1/2rr 275/40/18ZR 51mm offset rr,Magnaflow cat
    back.
    2006 GSXR1000 with to much done to it then i'm willing to write about.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks dkrowner. Would the ported LS6 heads also result in increasing compression to around 11.75:1?

cyclone grey
    2006 pontiac gto

that just matters who u get them from couse gm sales ls6 cnc'd heads with 3 different compressions.i think its 62,65 or 66,72.then texas speed has afew of there own.lingenfelter
    too,then patriot performance has some.are the PRC heads the texas speed ones?in if your looking
    for the bump up in compression i think the 62cc cnc'd heads would work real nice.thats what i was looking into before i went with the turbos.hope that i helped in any way for u,and yes its a tad winded this post i wrote

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

Ideally you mill should have major components that complement each other. Biggest mistake most make is to run too much cam or induction and the rest of the stuff must then play catch up without ever doing sooss.

How much cam and compression are you runnning? What kind and type of injection? Carb? Finally, the intended and actual use of the vehicle comes into play. Obviously, a daily driver differs from a drag car. Good luck.

The additional compression that you gain from the 5.3s should nearly offset the few more CFM and better chamber that that LS6 heads provide. More compression makes bigger cams more tame. That and the 5.3s are hundreds cheaper.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

if its gonna be a street car and run 93 octane i wudnt go over 11 to 1,milling the heads will help compression, a 3 percent horsepower increase.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    Hello All. I just got done reading up on a bunch of good threads from the search feature, however I thought I would post this in hopes I could get a little more insight into my specific setup.

It's time for heads. My own cost to benefit analysis has led me to choose between the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads and the Stage 2.5 LS6 heads. Right now I'm making 390 rwhp and 388 rwtq with cam and bolt ons. My goal is to get closer to 430 rwhp from my daily driver (it isn't really a daily driver, however I would like for it to be as dependable as one). My only planned future mods are a 100 - 125 shot of N20 (still haven't decided between wet, dry or direct port) and a Moser 9" rear.

From the feedback and dyno numbers others have posted, both heads would be great for my setup. Therein lies the problem....how do I determine which is BEST? It looks like the LS6 heads have slightly better flow numbers, however the 5.3 heads might effectively raise compression more, hence creating more power without sacraficing low end torque. You guys have any thoughts as to which heads would work best for me? Finally, with your recommendation, can you please also let me know what your thoughts are regarding milling the heads as well.
    let me say this,since you already have the trick flow cam i wud recommend the trick flow 13.5 heads,they are matched to work together,your looking at 50 horsepower with the trick flows,they are worth the money ,you get what you pay for,good luck

Quote Originally Posted by blackls1ta View Post
    if its gonna be a street car and run 93 octane i wudnt go over 11 to 1,milling the heads will help compression, a 3 percent horsepower increase.
    With a good tune on 93 octane you can run up to just shy of 12:1 safely. 12:1 or higher gets on the ragged edge. I'm currently running 11.7:1 without any detonation or knock retard.

Thread Information