NBM
    2000 Firehawk

Question Power Drops at 2700 RPM then Returns by 3000 RPM

Hey all...

I had this issue with my 00 Firehawk before I put her away last season for the winter... Now that its starting to show signs of warm weather - I'm thinking I want to kick this issue before I start tearing around this spring...

Here's the deal -

SOMETIMES (yup as always with my issues nothing is ever 100% of the time)

Sometimes when accelerating I'll hit about 2700 on the tach and you'll feel a quick drop in power then by the time I hit 2900 or 3000 its right back full power...

Does it during hard accel or easing into the pedal - doesnt seem to matter. But it doesnt do it all the time???? That's whats driving me nuts...

Most noticable in 1st gear but it's definitely happened in the others too...

Been thinking - plug? coil? lifter? completely confused by the intermitten occurance...

Anyone seen this sort of action before? Suggestions?

No check engine lights or codes getting thrown (at least with a basic scan tool)

Thanks for any ideas...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

miles?? mods?? Do u smell/hear anything?

NBM
    2000 Firehawk

Nothing major for mods.. no power adders or anything... no smells, or anything else I haven't described...

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 00Firehawk475 View Post
    Hey all...

I had this issue with my 00 Firehawk before I put her away last season for the winter... Now that its starting to show signs of warm weather - I'm thinking I want to kick this issue before I start tearing around this spring...

Here's the deal -

SOMETIMES (yup as always with my issues nothing is ever 100% of the time)

Sometimes when accelerating I'll hit about 2700 on the tach and you'll feel a quick drop in power then by the time I hit 2900 or 3000 its right back full power...

Does it during hard accel or easing into the pedal - doesnt seem to matter. But it doesnt do it all the time???? That's whats driving me nuts...

Most noticable in 1st gear but it's definitely happened in the others too...

Been thinking - plug? coil? lifter? completely confused by the intermitten occurance...

Anyone seen this sort of action before? Suggestions?

No check engine lights or codes getting thrown (at least with a basic scan tool)

Thanks for any ideas...
    Now, some of those might be it......however it could be some bad gas, oil in the throttle body(lack of catch can).....and the car it retarding timing kr knock retard, could be one possibility which means its detonating and pulling timing and thus the loss of power.......maybe a possibility, however you usually don't feel the power loss I don't think IDK
    then again I could be WAY off here and don't know what the heck Im talking about......this is always a possibility Im on midnights....

NBM
    2000 Firehawk

TTT

Anyone else? I'm starting to mess with it tonight - and hate to just start screwing with it till I stumble over the cause..

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Are you leaving your traction control on? Sounds like it could be the traction control system backing off the power then returning it once you have traction.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I have the EXACT same prolem. Im taking my car in to get tuned tommorow so hopefully we can find out what is wrong. Ive changed plugs and have been told it may be a vacume leak but I cant find it. I get some pinging while its doing it though, sounds like exhaust rubbing but its the engine. Hopefully you can locate the problem.

NBM
    2000 Firehawk

Not the Traction Control - I've got that bypass mode that turns it off until you turn it on...

Well if you find out anything from the tunning let me know... I'm going to start doing stuff on mine - course it was just snowing here so i might hold off until tomorrow before I go out in the garage to do anything...

The power dip is faily common, both in stock and modified engines. There are lots of theories as to why it occurs, but the most likely cause is the intake design and tuning. A very experienced tuner with a lot of time can lessen it to where it's no longer noticable. Also seems to be more common in Corvettes. I've seen numerous dyno graphs that show the engine losing around 15 ft/lbs or so, then recovering a few hundred RPM later.

NBM
    2000 Firehawk

Thats odd.. its not like its always been there... It's a recent occurance... (only for the last few thousand miles tops)

Quote Originally Posted by 00Firehawk475 View Post
    Thats odd.. its not like its always been there... It's a recent occurance... (only for the last few thousand miles tops)
    Clean your MAF sensor.

NBM
    2000 Firehawk

Marc!!! You're a "effing" genious!!!!!!!!!!

Freaking unbelievable.. to think I almost tore down my top end to look for a bent rod or bad electrical component or something so complicated...

$ .20 worth of electrical cleaner and a damn Q tip..... And the car is like a brand new Beast out there. Now I just gotta do her justice and get her all polished up from sittin all winter long.

Thanks man.. you saved my weekend.. I coulda wasted all weekend under the hood!

Thread Information