Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Pilot Bearing removal with Bread

Just bought a 2000 SS Camaro with 47,000 mile on it bone stock. Very clean. The throwout bearing was shot. Went to replace the clutch and upgrade to the Tick Performance adjustable master slave.

Went to O'Reilly's to rent a pilot bearing puller and they did not have the slide hammer. They said uses bread or salt and get a bolt the same size as the opening of the pilot bearing. 6 pieces of bread later nothing. Went to Napa rented a puller and got it out. Cleaned the bead out. Building SBC and BBC's over the years had no idea there is a oil pug in the end of the crank so did not bother looking that close and not good light and 58 years old so the eyes are not the best. Got everything back together.

Went for a test drive. Made it 2 miles and lost oil pressure and started to hear the valve train making noise, but no knocking. Trailered it back home and back on the lift.

I am guessing I should pull the motor and make sure no damage and clean oil galleys. Not knowing the LS motor that well thought I would ask for some help and the best way to attack this.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Pilot Bearing removal with Bread

did you shut down immediately when you saw oil pressure loss? I would check oil filter and drop pan look for bearing material.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Thank you. With the clutch just being replaced I was driving and not paying attention to the oil pressure while driving it. Starting it I had oil pressure , then while paying attention to the trans I heard a noise like the heat shield that covers the clutch line was rattling and that is when I noticed no oil pressure and shut it down. I have it on my lift and looked this morning and see no signs of oil coming out of the bell housing. The only other think I did was change the rear main seal and gasket while I was replacing the clutch. I will drain the oil this afternoon and take a look at it and determine if I pull the transmission or everything.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Was not a good night last night. The motor is coming out and go through it and rebuild it. There was some metal pieces in the oil. I used a paint strainer when i drained the oil. I am mad at myself for listing to the guys at the auto parts store to use bread to pushout the pilot bearing. I had no idea there was a oil plug in the end of the crankshaft. Not good.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

To be fair it is a valid method. However most ppl don't know the stock crank has that. Why I have no idea why, but I know on my stroker crank it doesn't. If the crank is bad, may be time for a 383 stroker build

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

You never know. I was trying to keep this all stock. I will know more once I open it up. Time to finish my 90 IROC with the L76 / T56 swap and a BTR stage 3 cam. Just need to finish the wiring and then come back to this bad mistake.

Thread Information