98 Formula
    06 duramax

perimeter bolt aftermarket heads

Who all makes them? I see new era has patriot ls series heads that have 'em. Anyone else? I wonder what the flow sheet looks like for the patriots, anyone have that info?
    I was gonna spray the car but decided to go heads/cam instead. I'm already sick of reading and trying to figure out who has the best prices on this and that. I could change to center bolt covers and relocate the coil packs but honestly I'd really like to just keep what I have. Just added cost and hassle. If I find there's a huge flow difference I might be more inclined to hunt them down but if it's only a few HP I'd be willing to just keep what I have.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

find me some stage 2 center bolt heads before I do my swap and you can have mine. I have a set of 98 heads with valve covers the were CNCed by morgan motorsports and have manley valves and springs with titanium retainers. I didnt know there was a difference in 98 and 99 heads when I bought them..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

No offense but I would just dig up some valve covers before I done something like that. I want all new parts. I appreciate the offer though. I have about $3k worth of stuff all picked out using patriot heads. I just can't justify the AFR price tag. I don't doubt that they're great heads, they're just more than I'm willing to pay for the HP. I'm not trying to be the fastest, just fast.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

hell if you go with center bolt heads and havent foudn a gooddeal on valve covers I could hook you up with mine possibly. I will probrably sell the stock heads if I cant trade them to my friend for a set of stock 5.3 heads.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I appreciate the offer and I'll see what happens with the heads. I have a feeling that for the money and flow differences I'll probably be buying valve covers for center bolt heads. I was hoping maybe someone else had experience with both styles and could tell me to either pass or not worry about it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The numbers were actually at patriots site. I never thought to check there first. 296/220 @ .600 vs 304/229 @.600 for the ls6 style.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

are those the numbers after the porting?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would assume so. I don't think there's any way those heads would flow that stock. It seems to me the PRC 5.3's are probably the best deal out there right now for the money. $1100 and flow in the 300's. That's probably the route I'll take and just buy valve covers and coil mounts.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

the 5.3s will also raise your compression and you will get more out of those flow numbers as well. I believe they have around a 64cc chamber instead of the stocker 67cc chamber. If I was still in the market for some heads I would go with the 5.3s myself. So since you are saying you have to buy coil mounts does that mean I would have to as well since I am doing the opposite as you? Going from center bolt to perimeter bolt?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The center bolt coils all mount to a rail where as the perimeter bolt coils each mount individually. I need to figure out what cam I want to go with because I'm not sure how much lift I can have on those heads without flycutting. There's 2.04 intake and 1.575 exhaust valves in them. I'll just have to call someone and figure out what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for huge power, anything over 400 at the wheels and I'll be relatively happy. Shouldn't be hard to do with those heads and a decent cam. Secretly I'd like to end up with 420 but realistically I don't see that happening.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

oh it can happen, especially with a set of 5.3 heads. If you want a great deal on a cam just send me a pm. I found this company on ebay and I ordered a custom grind from them. 230-236 duration .580-.590 lift on a 114 lsa. I ordered it on a thursday and it was ground and sent out the next day and it only ran me 245$, shipping included. They can make you anything you want. I recieved my cam within 6 days and its a great looking cam, just have yet to install it.

Thread Information