91 camar

performance top end rebuild

I am planning a performance top end rebuild for a 00 trans am. It is basically a stock trans am at the moment with an ls6 intake. I am having trouble deciding the cam on it. Going for around 4-450 hp and price isn't really the problem just need some advice with the choosing the right cam to match what I have already found.

Planned on getting a pair of 5.3 heads with all new valves and springs.
    hooker long tube headers Part Number # 520-2469-1 and y pipe Part Number # 520-16723-1
    magnaflow catback exhaust Part Number Part Number # 642-16723
    slp underdrive pully Part Number # 847-100221
    slp double roller timing chain Part Number # 510-522-488
    48lb holly injectors Part Number # 510-522-488
    slp highflow mass airflow Part Number # 847-23060
    bigmouth tb part Number # 249-54103
    going to make a custom cai

this is the list from jegs I have in my cart.
    Looking to try to get a complete kit for the cam with new rockers ect. All help accepted thank you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A4 or M6? Any suspension or drive train mods?

Is HP your only concern? Is this a DD, track car, or weekend street toy?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

91 camar

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    A4 or M6? Any suspension or drive train mods?

Is HP your only concern? Is this a DD, track car, or weekend street toy?
    well it needs a top end rebuild and we want to get everything done at the same time. It is more a part time car. basically he doesn't want to ever have to get different again he wants this to be a one and only time thing.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I would add a ported ls6 oil pump to your list
    The heads really wont help without porting and larger intake valves. Highly recommend ditching the MAF and sticking woth the stock one and an LS2 timing chain is a great upgrade for cheap that i suggest you look into. The throttle body you have listed will not work with the stock intake, you'd need something like a fast 92 to bolt up to it and with a cam and heads it's a real nice upgrade if you can spare the cash. If the fuel pump has never been replaced i would highly recommend that as well, if the original one is still in there it's probably exhausted by now.
    Last edited by tatertot91; 02-04-2012 at 07:21 PM.

91 camar

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I would add a ported ls6 oil pump to your list
    The heads really wont help without porting and larger intake valves. Highly recommend ditching the MAF and sticking woth the stock one and an LS2 timing chain is a great upgrade for cheap that i suggest you look into. The throttle body you have listed will not work with the stock intake, you'd need something like a fast 92 to bolt up to it and with a cam and heads it's a real nice upgrade if you can spare the cash. If the fuel pump has never been replaced i would highly recommend that as well, if the original one is still in there it's probably exhausted by now.
    thanks for the great advice I had planned on fuel pump too I just completely forgot to list that. May just see if i can port out the tb if that is the case on the intake because he just put on the intake so I doudt he will want to change that.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

No problem, the racetronix pump with the wiring harness is a great upgrade. Only thing else I can think of is a set of pushrods and springs to go with the cam and a new set of lifters, besides that just be sure you have someone with a good reputation to tune the car and you should be set.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, some of the popular cam choices are: TSP 228r, Torquer V2, and Magic Stick (MS) 3.

91 camar

Think im going to go with a ms4 with the cam kit from hawks. possibly go with their ported ls6 heads to bump up compression to 11.1 also but that is still up in the air.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You dont want an ms4 for a street car, it is a pretty rough cam. jon made some pretty good suggestions, I would recommend something in the high 220 to mid 230 range. Not sure exactly how radical you plan on going with it. Is it an auto or m6?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Would be a good idea to read up on this
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/camshaf...ite-up-127350/

That thread has lots of great information that will help you narrow down your cam choice.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

You dont want an ms4 for a street car, it is a pretty rough cam. jon made some pretty good suggestions, I would recommend something in the high 220 to mid 230 range. Not sure exactly how radical you plan on going with it. Is it an auto or m6?
    Agreed dont go with an ms4. That cam is gonna put your powerband way high and the car will feel sluggish around town. A good cam in the low 230's duration will make within 15 hp on the ms4 on top but will have a much broader power curve. Something like the F13 from futral or the torquer v2 would be great the specs are in the low 230's and they both have a nice flat curve, I'd also stick with a 112 lsa as it will help bring in the power sooner if you have a small stall (auto) or tall gears (m6)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Keep in mind OP, if you're an auto, you really should compliment your cam choice with a stall.

If you're a M6, I'd consider going with a lower gear.

91 camar

sorry guys that was a miss type it i was trying to say ms3, just woke up when i typed that. and it is a m6. ms3 is probably over doing it but a little extra couldn't hurt.

91 camar

Would be a good idea to read up on this
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/camshaf...ite-up-127350/

That thread has lots of great information that will help you narrow down your cam choice.
    been reading that lots of good information on there I will say

91 camar

Im revising my list right now to match this setup a little better and to get rid of the things I didnt need.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by joker0907 View Post
    I am planning a performance top end rebuild for a 00 trans am. It is basically a stock trans am at the moment with an ls6 intake. I am having trouble deciding the cam on it. Going for around 4-450 hp and price isn't really the problem just need some advice with the choosing the right cam to match what I have already found.

Planned on getting a pair of 5.3 heads with all new valves and springs.
    hooker long tube headers Part Number # 520-2469-1 and y pipe Part Number # 520-16723-1
    magnaflow catback exhaust Part Number Part Number # 642-16723
    slp underdrive pully Part Number # 847-100221
    slp double roller timing chain Part Number # 510-522-488
    48lb holly injectors Part Number # 510-522-488
    slp highflow mass airflow Part Number # 847-23060
    bigmouth tb part Number # 249-54103
    going to make a custom cai

this is the list from jegs I have in my cart.
    Looking to try to get a complete kit for the cam with new rockers ect. All help accepted thank you.
    As was already said the ls2 chain is fine theres no need for the double roller which would require clearancing the timing cover and oil pump iirc anyway. Also the big injectors are also unneeded most likely as long as you dont go too extreme on the setup the stock injectors would be fine. However the ford svo 33lbers wouldnt be a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by joker0907 View Post
    sorry guys that was a miss type it i was trying to say ms3, just woke up when i typed that. and it is a m6. ms3 is probably over doing it but a little extra couldn't hurt.
    Be careful with this statement going to big on a cam can mean bad driveability and poor street manors. Even on the street the ms3 is a bit much. It's specs are 237/242 113lsa and.600 lift. To make this workable with your m6 3.90's or steeper gears are almost mandatory because the cam will not make a lot of power down low. Up top banging gears at the track is where this cam would shine but as far as the street oes something in the high 220's or low 230's is a better option imo. Again a smaller cam will make within 15hp on the big end but under the curve is where the smaller cam will shine

Thread Information