Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Patriot Ls6 Stage 2 vs TSP 5.3 stage 2.5 Heads

I am trying to do some research on some heads around the $1500 range. These heads are a little under that but I do not want to spend over 1700 on heads. My goal is to be in the 450 range with an ms3 cam. Important bolt on's are FAST 92mm, 92mm TB and true duals not cats. Is my goal possible with either of these heads, which ones are better for what I want, or are these heads no good and I need to keep looking? My car is a m6, not a DD and sees the strip roughly twice a month.

hugger orange

I know some people that are making good power with both of these heads.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Do you have any opinion on which one would be better for track use?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the big draw to the 5.3's is the bump in compression without milling due to the smaller chamber. You can get the same compression by milling the LS6 heads and enjoy longer runners in the LS6 but I'm not sure how much you can mill and still have piston to valve clearance with the ms3.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the big draw to the 5.3's is the bump in compression without milling due to the smaller chamber. You can get the same compression by milling the LS6 heads and enjoy longer runners in the LS6 but I'm not sure how much you can mill and still have piston to valve clearance with the ms3.
    Jegs has the patriot 59cc ls6 stage 2 heads that will raise the compression to 11:1 and are rated for a .650 lift.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Patriot-Perfor...20891/10002/-1

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    Jegs has the patriot 59cc ls6 stage 2 heads that will raise the compression to 11:1 and are rated for a .650 lift.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Patriot-Perfor...20891/10002/-1
    The thing to remember is the max lift rating is for the valves and springs, but have nothing to do with piston to valve clearence.
    If I remember right the tool to flycut your pistons in the block isn't very evpensive.
    I am almost sure you will need to cut valve reliefs with milled heads and an ms3.

Don't forget you will need the correct length pushrods too.

Also you will be spinning the motor higher to get the most out of that cam so I would do ARP or Katech rod bolts too.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    The thing to remember is the max lift rating is for the valves and springs, but have nothing to do with piston to valve clearence.
    If I remember right the tool to flycut your pistons in the block isn't very evpensive.
    I am almost sure you will need to cut valve reliefs with milled heads and an ms3.

Don't forget you will need the correct length pushrods too.

Also you will be spinning the motor higher to get the most out of that cam so I would do ARP or Katech rod bolts too.
    So will the 5.3 heads need any cutting to work with the ms3 as well?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd go with any TSP head over any Patriot head.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'd go with any TSP head over any Patriot head.
    Any reason for that?

hugger orange

Any reason for that?
    Quality

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Lower et's as well.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I was making 400rwhp with the patriot stage 2 ls6s and a smaller cam (plus headers,tune). They may not be the "best" quality, but bang for buck i think there great for a starter.

TSP also offers ported LS6 heads if you don't want to go with the 5.3's. It's about the same price range.

I believe the 5.3's still use the standard round exhaust ports of the LS1. You get the advantage of the D shaped exhaust ports on the LS6 heads that flow a bit better on the exhaust side.
    Might be something to look at.

red
    2000TA

prc heads use stock iron guides so you can run stock rocker arms.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    prc heads use stock iron guides so you can run stock rocker arms.
    i use stock rocker arms with my patriot heads too

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    TSP also offers ported LS6 heads if you don't want to go with the 5.3's. It's about the same price range.

I believe the 5.3's still use the standard round exhaust ports of the LS1. You get the advantage of the D shaped exhaust ports on the LS6 heads that flow a bit better on the exhaust side.
    Might be something to look at.
    I saw the Ls6 heads on tsp's site as well. Do you know the differences between those and patriots ls6 heads?

I saw the Ls6 heads on tsp's site as well. Do you know the differences between those and patriots ls6 heads?
    Other than 2 different companies porting them??? I believe they are all starting with the same casting.

I've heard of better results from the TSP's than I have from the Patriots.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

im at 450+rwhp with a little 224, port FAST 90/90, Patriot Stage II Ls6 style heads (59cc), LT's/TD's, supporting mods, and tune...

best of all, you get the benefit of larger flowing heads and the bump in c/r with the milled down Ls6 heads. i have never bought into the 5.3/donkey dick cam craze...

sure there might be better heads out there, but then you run the risk of going out of your set price range.
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 03-10-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Other than 2 different companies porting them??? I believe they are all starting with the same casting.

I've heard of better results from the TSP's than I have from the Patriots.
    that because Patriot had a batch of bad heads, similar to when comp had their bad batch of 918's and everyone (whether used them or not), jump on the stay clear of these guys products bandwagon....blah, blah, blah. you always hear more bad than good. period.

variables exist in regards to all stock and aftermarket parts. you can still use the exact identical parts and still get two completely different results. just like two identical cars have the capacity to perform in different manners with the same components.

its true et's are supposed to settle it all, but again, vairables exist. its about compiling a build in which all parts complement one another and not making up for the shortcomings of individual parts.

i have personal experience with patriot heads. for me and my build, they have been worth every penny i bought them for. i have not had any issues while running these heads for the last 4 yrs.
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 03-10-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    that because Patriot had a batch of bad heads, similar to when comp had their bad batch of 918's and everyone (whether used them or not), jump on the stay clear of these guys products bandwagon....blah, blah, blah. you always hear more bad than good. period.

variables exist in regards to all stock and aftermarket parts. you can still use the exact identical parts and still get two completely different results. just like two identical cars have the capacity to perform in different manners with the same components.

its true et's are supposed to settle it all, but again, vairables exist. its about compiling a build in which all parts complement one another and not making up for the shortcomings of individual parts.

i have personal experience with patriot heads. for me and my build, they have been worth every penny i bought them for. i have not had any issues while running these heads for the last 4 yrs.
    Patriots bad batch is still in production. Their problems extend well beyond just the LSx line of products! You are THE ONLY ONE who has ever had results like you've posted. Most with similar or identical builds to you are lucky to see 420rwhp and are stuck in the 12s. 99.999% of the time properly done 5.3 heads and a big cam will put your combo to shame. You seem to be that one and only exception.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information