PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Opinions on Roller Rockers with H/C swap

OK I need a no BS opinion. I can get a set of yella terra 1.7 non adjustable Roller rockers for a real good price. As you may know Im putting a Prc 5.3 stage 2.5 59cc heads ,224R cam, Cromo 7.40 pushrods, and LS7 lifters in my car. Do you think the Rockers would be an essential upgrade? Or can they wait? My car does have 70k on the clock! thanks Guys!

I have always preferred the roller rockers, especially if a larger camshaft is in the picture.

By roller I assume you mean a "full" roller rocker including the tip,,,,not the stock roller wantabe rockers with just a roller fulcrum,,,correct???

I prefer the roller tip as well,,,,really cuts down on valve guide wear and tear,,,especially when you are talking about aluminum heads that have a very soft bronze valve guide anyway. Without roller tips and alot of lift on the camshaft,,,,the bronze guides would be pretty worn and loose inside of 30,000 miles or so. Then you have an engine sucking oil.
    With that said it's always been my preference to go with a full roller rocker on every engine build anymore,,,just for the longevity of the valve guides more than anything else. Hope that helps.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Yea I was talking to jon at texas speed and he said they werent essential however that when the stock ones do fail they tend to puke the needle bearings and those get pushed threw the motor and wreck havoc! I personally didnt like the Idea of that so I got them since my car is starting to get up there in milage. Oh yeah the yella terras have roller tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    Yea I was talking to jon at texas speed and he said they werent essential however that when the stock ones do fail they tend to puke the needle bearings and those get pushed threw the motor and wreck havoc! I personally didnt like the Idea of that so I got them since my car is starting to get up there in milage. Oh yeah the yella terras have roller tips.
    Ya puking the needles are always a threat with any roller,,,but it's more of a problem on the large camshafts that require alot of spring pressures,,,especially when you get into solids.
    Alot of the good roller rockers are rebuildable too,,,something to keep in mind,,,if you start off with a good set and you take the motor apart down the road.

Thread Information