Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Old Timer 50's and 60's Philosophy

I will embarss myself and go ahead and ask. If you have a low mileage engine with bolt-ons what damage would it do to install a mild cam without new springs, etc;. The old 283 and 327 cranked out plenty of HP and compression and we swaped the cams out without a thought of toughening-up push rods, springs and the like. Some folks raced them at the track on occasion and the rest of us lopped around town and occasionally tore away from stop lights to impress. Give me your rational/thoughts
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Now your talking my "vintage".....a 3/4 cam ( Thats old school ) will serve you well as you described. That would be under .500 lift over would be called a full cam...match up your lift/duration with your heads and intake flow....tune it and go have some fun....

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

If you're going through the trouble of a cam swap, I say get a bigger cam. A smaller cam would almost seem not worth it to me. I understand where you're coming from with saving money on valvetrain components. But while you're in there, you might as well replace the factory stuff with better, stronger aftermarket stuff. But I do have a high-mileage engine, so I don't think like you low-mileage boys.

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

stock LS1 springs are barely adequate for a stock cam much less a bigger one....

ban-one
    well dod what you want to do id put a bigger cam but its your car but either way definately get better push rods the stockers are crap

Silver
    2002 SS

Seems to me that once you pull all the lifters, push rods, etc to replace the cam you might as well upgrade all that valve train stuff too.
    The hard part is the cam in and out itself, no?
    Screw the cost, put it on a credit card and transfer the balance to a zero interest. You'll save money in the long run possibly and you'll be worry free.

Now remember...'bigger' does not always have to mean increased lift. I could have stayed with stock (LS2/LS6) springs with my cam....but chose the safety/reliability of the 918's. And I think I faired quite well In the hp/tq catagory. Im still not sold on all the hype of the super aggressive mondo lift cams. I agree with Sarge...do your homework and have fun.
    '06 M6 GTO (Redrum)
    Comp 228/232
    SW LT's
    GMM Ripper
    JHP Pod
    C.A.I. Air Box
    HPS Tuned
    421rwhp/401rwtq

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You might be able to get away with it but have you ever seen what happens if you drop a valve? It's much more expensive than a set of new springs. Do youself a favor and ask the wife for more money. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
    Seems to me that once you pull all the lifters, push rods, etc to replace the cam you might as well upgrade all that valve train stuff too.
    The hard part is the cam in and out itself, no?
    Screw the cost, put it on a credit card and transfer the balance to a zero interest. You'll save money in the long run possibly and you'll be worry free.
    On an LSx engine, lifters can only be removed if the heads are removed.

I would say valve springs are a must, not like some of the old SBC days. The stock cams in these cars actually have pretty good lift/duration in comparison and it was the beehive valve spring that got GM there. The stock valve springs are "adequate" for the stock cam, and that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Im still not sold on all the hype of the super aggressive mondo lift cams...
    Ever driven in one....?

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Ever driven in one....?
    Yes, several.
    And I stand pat.......I dont buy it...any more than the hype on synthetic oil.
    Its all about the almighty dollar. Give em what they want and charge em double.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Yes, several. And I stand pat.......I dont buy it...any more than the hype on synthetic oil. Its all about the almighty dollar. Give em what they want and charge em double.
    Symmetry is obviously very key though. More lift is always a good thing, provided that the rest of the cam's (and engine's) configuration is designed to work in harmony along with it....

Thread Information