Thread: OIL PUMP/O-ring

Black

Cool OIL PUMP/O-ring

I put a cam in my car last summer. I reused the O-ring that was in it, that is on the pick up tube, I know DUMB!! Well now when it gets to temp my oil pressure fluctuates and it gets a tick. I have been told its that wonderful decision I made with the O-ring and not putting a new one in it. So I am doing that now but was wondering if it could have hurt the oil pump or if the oil pump could be going bad to? Do they go bad very often? Oh and its a 2002 ls1 and has about 600 miles since I did the cam.

Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site Chad! Really depends on how long it ran and on low or even no oil pressure. The tick may just be a lifter that has collapsed a bit. Since you have to tear into it, really up to you on whether to swap the pump. As far as I know, it was the earlier models that had oil pump issues. Might be a good idea to cut your oil filter open and see what you find -- that may answer your question.

BTW: We'll have a crew at GM Carlisle this year. Come and join the fun!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what does your oil pressure fluctuate between? What's the high and low?

Black

Thank you pajeff02! After I started hearing the tick I thought it was a collapsed lifter to, so I put brand new ones in it and still same thing. I called Texas Speed and asked them as well if they thought the pump could be bad to and they said they would not think so but it more than likely is that o-ring. So I thought I would just ask on here to. I am running a fram filter to and I hear there junk!! Who will all be at Carlisle?

Orion- It fluctuates around 25 to 30 when it starts to do it, When its cold and the oil is thicker its fine just when it gets to temp does it start to do that. Oil gets thinner and starts to by pass the area where the o-ring is at is what I am told.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm guessing you did a ported ls6 with the cam swap? I'm not saying it's not the o-ring but it doesn't necessarily make it the o-ring when the pressure fluctuates. Anytime I've ever read about people having o-ring problems that pressure drops to almost nothing and is there whether it's cold or not. It could be though....only takes a little nick in that o ring to lose pressure.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Actually, the new Fram Xtended Guard filters are pretty damn good. I currently run them on a couple of our cars, just stay away from the cheaper Fram filters.

Last year, we had around 30 members make an appearance at Carlisle. Hoping for more this year.

Black

No stock oil pump not the ported ls6 one. I went a few years ago to the gm carlisle meet. It was fun I will try and go this year to.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

then my next question would be why did you drop the pick up tube in the first place? Personally what I would do is get a ported ls6 pump and swap out that pump while you're in there. As long as you're tearing it down that far you might as well swap that pump out.....that you should've just swapped out the first time.

Before I did anything I'd want to start simple and cheap by verifying your oil pressure and making sure it isn't just a bad sending unit.

Black

I put a new timing gear set on it. That's why. Yeah I was thinking about that to since I am there.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

When are you guys meeting?

Last year, we had around 30 members make an appearance at Carlisle. Hoping for more this year.[/QUOTE]

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No set time, we'll have a tent up again this year. I'll know more once I hear from our contact and they provide the tent siting info.

Black

cool I will be there.

Thread Information