PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Oil pressure issue/ gauge problem

So I just got done installing my H/C combo and the car has been running really well, however I have a little issue. Every time I turn the car off the oil press gauge sticks at the last reading it was at while the car was on. Now if I turn the Key to the on position without cranking in it drops back to zero as it normally should.

Also the gauge twitches a bit while at idle sometimes but not all the time. I have a TSP ported oil pump. The Oil pressure sits at 40 and sometimes a touch below at idle however when I hit the gas it will Jump up like it should to about 70 psi. Would this be a bad Sender or is my oil pump bad? the car is not making any funny noise so Im not too sure. thanks for your help!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    So I just got done installing my H/C combo and the car has been running really well, however I have a little issue. Every time I turn the car off the oil press gauge sticks at the last reading it was at while the car was on. Now if I turn the Key to the on position without cranking in it drops back to zero as it normally should.

Also the gauge twitches a bit while at idle sometimes but not all the time. I have a TSP ported oil pump. The Oil pressure sits at 40 and sometimes a touch below at idle however when I hit the gas it will Jump up like it should to about 70 psi. Would this be a bad Sender or is my oil pump bad? the car is not making any funny noise so Im not too sure. thanks for your help!!!
    I would try a new sending unit -no way the pump is bad. My car idles at 35-40psi too.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I would try a new sending unit -no way the pump is bad. My car idles at 35-40psi too.
    Yea My buddy and I made sure the o ring didnt get pinched so that is elimintated, I still plan on hooking a mechanical gauge up to be double sure. I also went with 5w30 instead of my usual 10w30 as It is winter time. Maybe when I switch back to 10w30 after the top end breaks in I will get better Pressure? Either way Im first going to try to replace the sender.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

any other Ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

red
    2000 camaro ss

you got stock bottom end? 10w voids factory warranty. . .doesn't mean you cant run it (supposed to be the same after "warm") but ls1s really like the thinner stuff. factory dash units are terrible, you're spot right about hookin up a mech guage, at least to determine what is happening. (fact guage is ok as long as you know it's workin)

-twitchin' at idle can just be the guage registerin' the characteristics of the "lope" in your cam. find out what your psi is WOT, definately doesn't need 70 when you rev it a little bit, doesnt even need 70 WO. . . .and there is such a thing as too much. i'd go back to 5w and your pressure will drop back down to where it wants to be.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

I am currently running 5w30 and usually run 10w30 penzoil platinum. My oil psi at idle warm used to be at 45 to 50 so it has actually dropped a bit. However it is the same at WOT as it was stock. Idk Im just going to replace the sender and see what happens!

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    I am currently running 5w30 and usually run 10w30 penzoil platinum. My oil psi at idle warm used to be at 45 to 50 so it has actually dropped a bit. However it is the same at WOT as it was stock. Idk Im just going to replace the sender and see what happens!
    nah dont replace sender n see what happens. buy a cheapo guage at autozone or whatever is around you for 10 bucks and just plumb it in without puttin it in your cab. you'll always have the mech guage for later, and you'll save yourself the extra cash of the sender, cuz i dont think anything is wrong with it.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

I changed the oil today and went back to 10w30 as I have 100 miles on the new setup now. Also I replaced the sender with one off my buddys 01 ss and it worked perfectly! So I think I found my issue, thanks for your help guys!

Thread Information