navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

oil operating pressure

hello, i have a question about my oil pressure, i am in louisiana so it doesnt get very cold, but i just got this 98 camaro ls1, with the 6 speed when i first start it in the morning or when ever the oil is cool so the pressure is 40-50, then after i drive for awhile or in town and the temp gets to about 200-210 the when i stop a red lights the pressure drops to 20-25psi, when i take off it goes back up to 30-40 psi. when i am on the road going 55 to 60 mph in 6th gear it only runs 1500rpm's the oil pressure is at 25 maybe 30 is that normal? I have been looking at the records for the car it has havoline 10w-30 in it. I got some mobil 1 10w-30 and i will change it today, and see what happens thanks for any help.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The old standby is that you want at least 10 pounds of oil pressure for every 1,000 rpm. Whether or not your gauge reflects actual oil pressure, or an approximation of oil pressure, can only be answerd by plumbing in a master pressure gauge and comparing readings. This being said, what you have described is not out of line for our engines.

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

Ok thanks for the info, i read in the owners manual 20-60 is normal but that was bothering me when i stopped and it went down when i change my oil today or tomorrow i will look at what i need to check it with a more accurate gauge, thanks again.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by deere140 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info, i read in the owners manual 20-60 is normal but that was bothering me when i stopped and it went down when i change my oil today or tomorrow i will look at what i need to check it with a more accurate gauge, thanks again.

The sender is on the back of the engine, driver side, right behind the intake manifold. It is not at all easy to get to and is very easily broken.

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

does the block have another port anywhere that i could put an aftermarket gauge sender in and put a auto meter gauge in it, then just leave the old one in the dash hooked up too?

hugger orange

I ran a "T" fitting off the port, one hole for the stock sender and one hole for autometer gauge

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

okay thanks do you know what size tee you had to use?

hugger orange

Sorry no I don't...it took a few trys to get one to fit

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

well after i changed my oil the oil pressure was 5 psi higher, it had a cheap oil filter on it, it just said oil filter on it no brand, but i didn't get to take it out for a drive to see how it did at normal temp.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I had the same problem you're having up until a week ago when I changed my OPSU, it had about 117k miles on it. My pressure shot up to 40 psi when idling and a minimum of 60 when moving. My oil pressure was exactly the way you're describing your's before I got the new OPSU

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

i am going to get a repair manual for it they were out when i went to to auto parts store the other day, i guess it is pretty hard to change it out. i think i will start with that, thanks

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Yea the sensors are renown for going out on the ls1's!! Maybe you can do a write up about it and take lots of pictures of where it is located and put it up on here for everybody to reference later on!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

On top the intake all the way in the back by the firewall. PITA I assure you.

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

hopefully weds or thursday i can change it i looked with a mirror and flashlight and didn't even see it back their so i know it will probably be hard to change

2002 VX M6

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by deere140 View Post
    does the block have another port anywhere that i could put an aftermarket gauge sender in and put a auto meter gauge in it, then just leave the old one in the dash hooked up too?
    Yes,
    there's a small cover just above the oil filter housing that can be used for this.
    Superchevy or Chevyhiperformance magazine ran an article some years ago showing a "how to" using this method.

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

Okay thanks i will look at that too, i just got the sending unit and socket today, i felt around behind the intake it is pretty tight i think i can get the old one off i don't know how i will get the new one started though.

Thread Information