black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

oh no another pushrod question!!

I hate to keep blowing up this forum like this but yall seem to know your stuff. Im want to check my pushrod length and ive read a few of the other threads on this but i cant find a good clear how to. I read the one in the sticky by Hi_Po but it kinda seemed fuzzy to me. Do i need the adjustable pushrod from comp or can i do it with the Stock 7.4 using the EO/IC method. its all just confusing.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Any other method than using an adjustable pushrod is just guess work. How you check your pushrod length is get the cylinder you are checking to TDC. Then loosen one of the rockers on that cylinder. Next lay a pushrod next to the checker and adjust it so they are the same size. Install the checker instead of the pushrod and tighten the rocker up. Pull up on the needle and if it barely makes a tap sound you are all set. If it doesn't move at all your length is too tall. Also if it makes a clear tapping sound your pishrod is too short. Now you adjust it up or down depending on the results of the test with stock length until you achieve that faint tap sound. Once you have achieved the proper length count the turns until fully closed. Now you take the number of turns and multiply it by .050 and add it to 6.8. This gives you zero lash length. For stock lifters you want around .070 to .075 prelod so you would add it to that value which will give you your length.

So for example if it took 9 turns to fully close the checker this is what your length would look like: 6.8+9.0x.050+.075=7.325

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-20-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

oh no another pushrod question!!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

well when the tool gets here i run my numbers by you just to double check

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by black04gto View Post
    well when the tool gets here i run my numbers by you just to double check
    Sounds good.

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

if i did my math right and this is purely number based havent measured it yet. but my heads are milled to 60cc, and being as they are ls6 style and have 64cc stock they only milled ~.028 and since its a ls6 style head the valve angle should stay the same 15* . so based on that logic my pushrods should be too long. This would explain the slight amount of oil loss over time and the small amount of oil i found in the headers today during a gasket change. Am i understanding this correctly?

Black/ Silver

if i did my math right and this is purely number based havent measured it yet. but my heads are milled to 60cc, and being as they are ls6 style and have 64cc stock they only milled ~.028 and since its a ls6 style head the valve angle should stay the same 15* . so based on that logic my pushrods should be too long. This would explain the slight amount of oil loss over time and the small amount of oil i found in the headers today during a gasket change. Am i understanding this correctly?
    Too short not long. They milled material so you would need a longer pushrods. Other than that technicality you are spot on with your understanding.

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

im confused. its my understanding that when they mill heads the take material off the head deck therefore making the head shorter and closer to the piston thus the compression increase. if that holds true the rockers would be closer to the cam therefore requiring shorter rods. where am i wrong at??? just trying to grasp a better understanding.

Black/ Silver

im confused. its my understanding that when they mill heads the take material off the head deck therefore making the head shorter and closer to the piston thus the compression increase. if that holds true the rockers would be closer to the cam therefore requiring shorter rods. where am i wrong at??? just trying to grasp a better understanding.
    Sorry I read what you said wrong. Yes too long is what your pushrods are if your heads were milled.

Now if you switched to 72cc heads your pushrods would be too short. For me when I switched to 243 heads with no milling I needed shorter pushrods.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-23-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Thread Information