Black
    99 SS clone M6

noisy rockers at 2000 rpm??? wtf?

i just picked up a 99 M6 Z28 at an estate sale, $3800 111k miles which has unfortunaly a bad tranny and looks like was owned by a 16 year old who beat the crap put of it. just i can tell because of the walmart lightning audio amp rigged up under the seat and the nos stickers on the car, even though car doesnt have it, also has a vtec sticker on the back, AAAARRRRGGGHH. anyways motor seems solid (80 psi oil pressure, factory gauge lol) but makes a lotta rocker arm loose kinda noise at 2-2500 revs. engine pulls pretty hard through redline though havnt been really able to get it way up there. im just curious if anyone else has this upper end noise.
    no check engine lights on, motors doesnt leak anything and the oil looks great. i know $3800 is a good deal on this kinda car, at least i think it is. the tranny is now being rebuilt but im just concerned that the noise could be something worse happening.
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

2000 WS6 m6

Take off the valve covers and figure out what is wrong. Valve cover removal takes about 5min.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

You could have a bent pushrod from overrevving. No big deal pull the covers and pull out the pushrods replace the bent ones, and retorque the rockers back to 22 ft lbs and use a little lock tight. Or if theyre all straight then it could be just common piston slap you're hearing which is normal for the ls1's. If you post up a video it could help us out, if the noise varies with rpms and never goes away most likely its a pushrod. If it gets fainter when warm or dissapears with rpm then its piston slap.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The best way to determine whether a push rod is bent or not is to roll it on a piece of glass or something similar to glass (completely flat, smooth surface).

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Sounds like piston slap to me.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Fire
    2002 SS

Rocker arm trunnion bearings...

Black
    99 SS clone M6

its not terribly loud, with the hood shut you can barely hear it. it sounds just like a loose rocker arm at 2500 rpm. i dunno if i should have the valves relashed somewhere because im no way gonna try that myself.
    If i pull a valve cover, what should i look for?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have a similar thread with a video, with NO replies thank you ls1.com, lol. I took it to a mechanic and he said it's normal. It's a few threads down from this one, listen to it and if it sounds similar to yours you may be alright. But still have it checked by someone you trust.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

use a thicker oil, or add Lucas, to see if it makes it better; could be the lifters not pumping up at low rpms. also make sure it has a quality oil filter instead of a cheap restrictive one
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It could be so mony things so without sound we are just guessing. Pull the valve covers and see how the push rods look. If they are ok then it should be looked at by an LSx person.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

lifter tick. it has more than likely seen alot of high rpm's. my shop told me to put on a ls6 ported oil pump and all the ticking will go away. i have one lifter ticking and i am not that worried.

Thread Information