Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

New owner '98 formula, need help with potentially big problem.

Hi all, I have been cruising the boards for a while now, and actually just purchased a '98 formula out of FL a few weeks ago and drove it 1400 miles back home to Maine. The car is now my daily driver with 140k miles and the following mods:

228/228 .588 112LSA
    Pacesetter LT's
    BMR SFC's
    True 3" Duals
    Ported LS6 oil pump
    DR Timing Chain
    Hi-Po Z06 wheels

The car has been running AWESOME ever since it left FL, no problems at all. I figured it was time to do an oil change this weekend so I picked up some Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 for it like I use on every car I own, and started in on the change. As soon as I pulled the drain plug my heart was in my throat: Stuck to the magnetic plug was a piece of what I believe to be Main bearing material about the size of my small fingernail. Hoping that it MIGHT be somthing else, I pulled the valve covers and checked the valvetrain, everything was A-OK up there. What I want to know is, what are the chances of this being some other type of metal from elsewhere in the engine? I know that this is a bad situation either way, but if I can get by driving the car while I build up a second LS1 in the garage over the next month or so, then I will be a happy guy. Thanks in advance..

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by viperguynick
    Hi all, I have been cruising the boards for a while now, and actually just purchased a '98 formula out of FL a few weeks ago and drove it 1400 miles back home to Maine. The car is now my daily driver with 140k miles and the following mods:

228/228 .588 112LSA
    Pacesetter LT's
    BMR SFC's
    True 3" Duals
    Ported LS6 oil pump
    DR Timing Chain
    Hi-Po Z06 wheels

The car has been running AWESOME ever since it left FL, no problems at all. I figured it was time to do an oil change this weekend so I picked up some Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 for it like I use on every car I own, and started in on the change. As soon as I pulled the drain plug my heart was in my throat: Stuck to the magnetic plug was a piece of what I believe to be Main bearing material about the size of my small fingernail. Hoping that it MIGHT be somthing else, I pulled the valve covers and checked the valvetrain, everything was A-OK up there. What I want to know is, what are the chances of this being some other type of metal from elsewhere in the engine? I know that this is a bad situation either way, but if I can get by driving the car while I build up a second LS1 in the garage over the next month or so, then I will be a happy guy. Thanks in advance..

Nick
    how many miles on the cam? if it's been modded it's been driven IMO, but that is a rather large chunch of metal just to be finding when chainging the oil. good luck, something is falling apart in there.

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Less than 10k on the cam. I have no doubt that the car has been driven hard and put away wet. Car pulled 353 RWHP and 354 RWTQ untuned for the previous owner, and I know it make a couple 1/4 mile passes. There are absolutely NO abnormal noises, shakes, rattles, or anything else. The car runs flawlessly. I just hope I can get enough use out of it until I can get a new motor in.

Nick

Thread Information