Thread: New Cam

black

New Cam

I'm looking for a new cam to drop into my Camaro SS. I have checked out different ones and am stuck on either a Torquer V3 or a Tsunami. What are y'alls thoughts or personal experiences on this situation.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Well it depends on a few things what are your goals with the car? Like is this a track only car, street/strip, or street only car?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

black

Its gna be a street car, but not a daily driver. Wanting to get around 450rwhp or so if possible.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.ss99 View Post
    Its gna be a street car, but not a daily driver. Wanting to get around 450rwhp or so if possible.
    Also are you a manual or auto? If auto you are going to need a good stall like 3600 to 4000. You can get 450 rwhp with a mid range cam and even more with ported ls3 heads. I had a custom cam for my application which was suggested something in the range of 230 duration. I would contact Advanced Induction or EPS and have a custom cam made for you since they knock shelf cams out of the water.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

He is a 5th Gen. Not sure if you knew that or not.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    He is a 5th Gen. Not sure if you knew that or not.
    Did not that changes things lol. His screen name said otherwise lol. Plus I didn't realize which sub-forum this was posted in.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-03-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I assumed you didn't that's why I said something

I don't know much about the LS3 motor, but I know the grinds are different than the LS1 on the cam specs. I'm guessing with LS3 heads and a decent size cam, you'll likely be above 450.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

black

I have a manuel 6 speed, ls7 clutch package and I also have a set of ls6 heads that I am going to put on with the cam, just don't know which cam would best match up with that set up. Everyone tells me its all how the individual wants the car to sound and to go to youtube and check out the different kinds. So that's what I did and I like a few of them, but not sure how they will match up with the heads I have.

black

Also it is a 1999 SS...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well you posted in the 5th Gen internal section so that's why it was confusing. Revert back to Will's original post then lol.

black

I just recently noticed that once you mentioned it, ha. Still a little new to this website. sorry for the confusion

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.ss99 View Post
    I just recently noticed that once you mentioned it, ha. Still a little new to this website. sorry for the confusion
    I actually have a cam up for sale that will work nicely with LS6 heads. It was custom made by AI to support between 450 to 500 rwhp when you have supporting mods and never used because I ended up building a stroker instead so the cam needed changed. If interested let me know. Here is the cam spec's sheet for it:

Something similar to this would work very nicely for your setup. Also to get 450+ rwhp you are going to need a lid, headers, cam, and ported heads at a minimum.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-04-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

also add to that list above fuel injectors & tune, and maybe a fuel pump upgrade too.

black

New Cam

You said the cam is new/never used? What are you lookin to get for it and is that just the cam alone?

Black/ Silver

I bought it for $395 from Advance Induction who specialize in cam and head builds and they are the leader in the industry. I would do $375 shipped for it. Yes it is for the cam alone. Let me know if you are interested. I still have it in the box it came in.

Thread Information