Thread: new cam

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

new cam

I kinda want a new cam. I want something with a little bit of a choppy idle, enough to where if someone pulls up next to me they will know i have something, but not enough so that every cop is like "GET HIS ASS!!!". timeframe is to get all the parts over the summer and fall and put them in this winter. the car will be a dd, so fuel mileage is somewhat of a concern. i get 26 average now ( its got 135k miles on it so im kinda easy on it.) I would perfer not to drop below 18.

My only other mods will be full exhaust, with cats. and probably ram air intake.

thanks for any help.

torrid red
    2005 gto

call texas speed and talk to them they have many cam choices.

hugger orange

like jmdgto said give texas speed a call, you mine want to look at a 224 or a 228

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

its the overlap that gives me the choppy idle, right. the guy i spoke to wasnt the best at explaining stuff to me. he couldnt tell me how much gas mileage would drop. when i told him i got around 26 to the gallon out of a ls1 he sounded like he didnt believe me. is that unheard of? most of my driving is around 50-55 14 miles one way. i guess im kinda lookin for anyone with a mild cam to semi aggresive cam to see how much of a dent it put in their gas mileage.

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

who you talk to??? most the time i get mark, but you wanna talk to jon (there are two jons =\) and he knows his stuff. Also suggest talking to some of the sponsors here. I am sure they will be willing to give you a had. Or you could call Comp cams (thats where most the cams come from anyway) and talk to one of their tech guys

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    its the overlap that gives me the choppy idle, right. the guy i spoke to wasnt the best at explaining stuff to me. he couldnt tell me how much gas mileage would drop. when i told him i got around 26 to the gallon out of a ls1 he sounded like he didnt believe me. is that unheard of? most of my driving is around 50-55 14 miles one way. i guess im kinda lookin for anyone with a mild cam to semi aggresive cam to see how much of a dent it put in their gas mileage.
    a smaller lsa(112) will give you more chop, a wider lsa will give you a closer to stock idle (116).
    stock my a4 goat got 16 mpg, now with heads, cam and full bolt ons I get over 20 mpg and have a lot more power on demand.
    I'm running a 220/224 .580/.570 112lsa, it has some chop at idle, and really woke the motor up....pulls hard as hell to my 6,400 redline. personally I will probably go to 228 next year, but there isn't a thing wrong with the 220

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i called again and got mark he suggested their 228r cam. he said it was a good all around cam, with a somewhat choppy idle but not so much you'll draw unwanted attention. he didnt mention anything about lsa. when i got to the cam kit here i noticed it had lsa from 110-115. do i gain or loose anything going with a 110 accept the choppy idle. as i understand the lsa affects overlap, the more overlap the more power, to an extent.

i am looking to do the install myself. i have worked on a ls1 before. a guy at school threw a ms3 in his so ive done what i want to do before.

pretty much im looking for everything i will need. i want it to go as smooth as possible, i have all the tools i think i need except for the camshaft install tool, if you even need that. i was late and missed him actually putting it in by about 5 minutes. i want to know the stuff i will forget i need. gaskets, bolts, that sort of thing that doesnt come in that kit.

he also replaced the valves for whatever reason, do i need to take the heads off or can i do it without taking em off

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i called again and got mark he suggested their 228r cam. he said it was a good all around cam, with a somewhat choppy idle but not so much you'll draw unwanted attention. he didnt mention anything about lsa. when i got to the cam kit here i noticed it had lsa from 110-115. do i gain or loose anything going with a 110 accept the choppy idle. as i understand the lsa affects overlap, the more overlap the more power, to an extent.

i am looking to do the install myself. i have worked on a ls1 before. a guy at school threw a ms3 in his so ive done what i want to do before.

pretty much im looking for everything i will need. i want it to go as smooth as possible, i have all the tools i think i need except for the camshaft install tool, if you even need that. i was late and missed him actually putting it in by about 5 minutes. i want to know the stuff i will forget i need. gaskets, bolts, that sort of thing that doesnt come in that kit.

he also replaced the valves for whatever reason, do i need to take the heads off or can i do it without taking em off

to change the valves? you have to take the heads off to do that

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

to change the cam, im leaving the valves alone. if i have to take the heads off im gonna port polish whole 9 yards. i would love to leave em on though if i can.

i dont see why i wouldnt be able to leave em on with a cam swap.

ive never done a cam swap without taking the heads off, i was wondering if you can swap the cam with the heads on. maybe even with the engine still in the car, if thats possible. we have a engine stand, but no engine lift. i have a tractor with a front end loader that i could chain up but a lot of the time when i jerry rig somethin it bites me in the ass.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

ya you can leave them on, and the engine in the car. here ya go this should help

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

thank you for the link. it looks like it will be a massive help.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Just so you know you can make a 221/221 cam sound big w/ a 112 lsa

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

im looking to get a total of around 400-450 hp total. thats going to be with full exhaust, ram air intake, intake manifold, TB, and injectors. i want the rough idle, but i also want enough ass in the car to back it up. its got the sleek beak on it now but im gonna throw a ram air hood on it when i get the money for it. it is a daily driver, except for nasty winter days.

im not dead set on the 228, thats what the guy a texas speed said would work best for what i wanted.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

im looking to get a total of around 400-450 hp total. thats going to be with full exhaust, ram air intake, intake manifold, TB, and injectors. i want the rough idle, but i also want enough ass in the car to back it up. its got the sleek beak on it now but im gonna throw a ram air hood on it when i get the money for it. it is a daily driver, except for nasty winter days.

im not dead set on the 228, thats what the guy a texas speed said would work best for what i wanted.
    When you start getting past 400hp w/ cam only (even though you have intake all that shit) it's not really a daily driver.
    A buddy went from a 224 cam to the ms4 cam making 420rwhp cam only and he regrets it everyday becuase of the poor street manners
    read what the old techies have to say not the newbs saying there 232 cams are "small" cams
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...e-why-not.html
    speed is not all about hp either man.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i dont know enough to buy it yet. thats why im doing the research now. the problem is i dont know all the questions to ask. i cant look at a cams specs and tell what kind of power and at what rpm it will produce its power at. streetability is number 1. as a driver i dont have the skill to run 10's in the quarter mile, i could probably figure it out, but would break a lot of stuff in the process. its probably only going to see the drag strip maybe 2 or 3 times a year. i realize getting past 400 is going to give me a lot of issues, ie rear end, but i kinda want to touch it. ive been trying to find a dyno of the setup i mentioned but cant find one. i would rather have a broad power band than a steep one, i know that much... i think... 450 is defiantly the most power i will be looking to get, 400 is really what im looking to get. speed isnt really a factor, cops love to pull my car and a camshaft doesnt change the speed limit, just how fast i can get to the speed limit. theres a few mustangs around and a really faaaaaast VW gti that i kinda want to put in their place. i do very little city driving but when i do its right next to the VCU campus, always fun to turn heads whenever you drive past a group of freshwomen hangin out outside their dorm.

ive heard that when you change a cam, depending on the cam you can run into issues with vacuum so i defiantly dont want to have to deal with this.

reading on a couple forums 400-450 hp seems to be the most our rear ends can reliably take.

im not big into street racing, but if the dumbass civic asks for it ill usually give in, if weather and traffic are permitting. usually its pretty clear by around 50 who won so i typicaly dont go above 60. on the highway i usually ill stop at 90, but if were neck and neck ill run to about 120 at the most. ive had the car for around 2 years now and have raced on the street maybe 10 times.

ive been to the track twice first time was a 14.2 second was a 13.7. its a m6 and im pretty sure the car could run better if it had a more experienced driver. one of the guys there said it was defiantly me with a time difference like that. both runs were within 2 months of owning the car and on the same night
    Last edited by V8MUSCLE; 05-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Just so you know i like men!
    was that really needed

Red

450rwhp? Maybe on a Dynajet that is running real happy. We ran a VRX3 (similiar to 228r but split pattern) with 59cc heads, and hit 350/330 on a Mustang Dyno, been told that is similiar to 400rwhp on a DynaJet. We are very happy with the feel of the new cam, and the sound is still subtle. Not sure that cam only will give you a true 450rwhp in anything that would approach a daily driver. Cam swap is a weekend job. You planning on changing the timing chain and oil-pump?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

The 228R might not quite get you to your 400rwhp mark, but it should provide you with everything you want, i've seen a few dyno over 400 with that cam.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 67rsss View Post
    450rwhp? Maybe on a Dynajet that is running real happy. We ran a VRX3 (similiar to 228r but split pattern) with 59cc heads, and hit 350/330 on a Mustang Dyno, been told that is similiar to 400rwhp on a DynaJet. We are very happy with the feel of the new cam, and the sound is still subtle. Not sure that cam only will give you a true 450rwhp in anything that would approach a daily driver. Cam swap is a weekend job. You planning on changing the timing chain and oil-pump?
    yup add about 20% to your mustang dyno to match the dynojet numbers

Thread Information