Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

new build, burning oil ?

Just rebuilt the motor, 2500 miles and burned a quart of oil. First oil change @ 500 miles ( regular oil). Synthetic for the last 2,500.
    Is this normal until everything seats in ?
    Lid, K&N, PPTB, PRC 2.5 heads, Comp Cam 228/.588 112 lsa w/ suporting mods, 96mmNW TB,102mmFast, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, Tune, 4:10's, Aurburn Posi, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter, Stano/ Koni , 18" C6 rims, 295/30 Kumho tires.

Not really. If the cylinders were honed properly they should have seated within the first few miles. At the shop I worked at we would fire them up on the dyno, after a few minutes of varying the load and checking all the vitals it was ready for some pulls.

I would start looking into where the oil is going first. LS motors are notorious for sucking oil through the PCV system and pumping it back into the intake. A catch can keeps it from entering the intake but it does nothing for the oil usage unfortunately. Only one of our LS motors is doing this, but even that wasn't enough to add oil between changes. Yours sounds rather excessive.

If this doesn't pan out I would see how the plugs look and possibly a leak down test to see whats going on.

If the guides in the heads were setup too tight, they could gull (usually they hang open,,,not the case here) but could cause excessive wear and start sucking oil. Especially with high lift cams where roller tip rockers are not used.
    If the guides were setup on the loose side then of course they would suck oil right off the bat.

There are alot of things that it could be, but I'd start with the simple stuff first. Shouldn't be too hard to narrow down.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not really. If the cylinders were honed properly they should have seated within the first few miles. At the shop I worked at we would fire them up on the dyno, after a few minutes of varying the load and checking all the vitals it was ready for some pulls.

I would start looking into where the oil is going first. LS motors are notorious for sucking oil through the PCV system and pumping it back into the intake. A catch can keeps it from entering the intake but it does nothing for the oil usage unfortunately. Only one of our LS motors is doing this, but even that wasn't enough to add oil between changes. Yours sounds rather excessive.

If this doesn't pan out I would see how the plugs look and possibly a leak down test to see whats going on.

If the guides in the heads were setup too tight, they could gull (usually they hang open,,,not the case here) but could cause excessive wear and start sucking oil. Especially with high lift cams where roller tip rockers are not used.
    If the guides were setup on the loose side then of course they would suck oil right off the bat.

There are alot of things that it could be, but I'd start with the simple stuff first. Shouldn't be too hard to narrow down.
    Is there a filter in the oil catch can that you can buy, how often do you have to replace the catch can?

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Is there a filter in the oil catch can that you can buy, how often do you have to replace the catch can?
    The catch can is an aftermarket piece you can buy from most suppliers affiliated with 4th gens. It simply connects after the PCV valve and catches the oil before it enters the intake. The catch can has a valve in the bottom to periodically drain it when needed. No replacement necessary.
    I purchased mine from Kentucky Speed on a group purchase we recently had on the board here.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by NitrOmm View Post
    Just rebuilt the motor, 2500 miles and burned a quart of oil. First oil change @ 500 miles ( regular oil). Synthetic for the last 2,500.
    Is this normal until everything seats in ?
    Good info on the prior posts , but, my experience was the same as yours. Until I took the car to the track, my engine did the same thing. After taking it to the track and basically drove the hell out of it, the 'theory' is that the rings weren't seated. After that, it didn't burn a drop. Just my .02.

Thread Information