White
    00' Camaro ss

Need your opinions

Alright well a friend is sellin a maro with a fully rebuilt ls1 motor with 243 heads and cam and all this other stuff. He is sellin it for 4g's only thing is needs to be fixed. Said he got 'Blow-By' driving it he got a quote to fix it and its gonna cost 450, now I was lookin into gettin another maro but should I go for this one or wait for another one to come along.

88 mustang gt

blow by??? is that a type-o????

White
    00' Camaro ss

Blow-by occurs when the explosion that occurs in your engine's combustion chamber causes fuel, air and moisture to be forced past the rings into the crankcase. Your engine's rings must maintain an excellent fit in order to contain the pressure.
    The causes of blow-by: wear, soot and deposits
    As rings and cylinder liners wear away they are less capable of maintaining this seal. Consequently as a car ages the amount of blow-by that occurs can increase.
    Soot and deposits left over from incomplete combustion that collect on the rings can also inhibit their seal worsening blow-by.
    The effects of blow-by: loss of horsepower and oil contamination and dilution
    Blow-by inhibits performance because it results in a loss of compression. When the expanding gases slip past the rings they cannot as effectively push the piston down and make the vehicle go. As a result the car will have less horsepower. This also results in a loss of fuel economy.
    When the fuel, air and moisture slip into the crankcase they contaminate and dilute the oil in the crankcase.
    Among the many gasses in your compression chamber are unburned fuel, moisture, sulfur dioxide and soot. Once these gasses slip into your crankcase they can dilute into your engine causing great damage.

black
    1999 camaro SS

450 sounds way to cheap to fix that problem. also 4 G's is cheap for a late model 4th gen. there has to be something way wrong. I paid 7500 for mine a year ago and it had just a hair over 100,000 miles.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Gillyss View Post
    Blow-by occurs when the explosion that occurs in your engine's combustion chamber causes fuel, air and moisture to be forced past the rings into the crankcase. Your engine's rings must maintain an excellent fit in order to contain the pressure.
    The causes of blow-by: wear, soot and deposits
    As rings and cylinder liners wear away they are less capable of maintaining this seal. Consequently as a car ages the amount of blow-by that occurs can increase.
    Soot and deposits left over from incomplete combustion that collect on the rings can also inhibit their seal worsening blow-by.
    The effects of blow-by: loss of horsepower and oil contamination and dilution
    Blow-by inhibits performance because it results in a loss of compression. When the expanding gases slip past the rings they cannot as effectively push the piston down and make the vehicle go. As a result the car will have less horsepower. This also results in a loss of fuel economy.
    When the fuel, air and moisture slip into the crankcase they contaminate and dilute the oil in the crankcase.
    Among the many gasses in your compression chamber are unburned fuel, moisture, sulfur dioxide and soot. Once these gasses slip into your crankcase they can dilute into your engine causing great damage.
    how would you know if you have "blow-by"? is the loss of HP really noticeable? My TA has got some age on those rings

88 mustang gt

wow learn something new everday i guess. Thanks Gilly.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Wait for another one or be prepared to spend a good deal more than $450

White
    00' Camaro ss

Thanks for the info guys I will just wait for something better to come along

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    how would you know if you have "blow-by"? is the loss of HP really noticeable? My TA has got some age on those rings
    a compression test will solve that inigma...

1999 saturn

blow by can go both ways. sometimes oil gets into the cylinder past the rings and burns with the air/fuel mixture. usually a slight bluish smoke coming out of the exhaust during high manifold vacuum. for instance after slowing down when you smoke a mustang...(no pun intended). a leak down test is more accurate than a compression test..
    Last edited by panicrev; 09-01-2010 at 11:26 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

"blow by" is also a term used when motor oil gets past the seals/bearing in an FI (turbo) vehicle.. Usually on the compressor side.. Just tossing that out there..

Blow by can also happen if the ring gaps were not turned opposite the next ring. Possibility since you said the motor was rebuilt... Can also happen if the engine was not properly broken in as well.. One way of the other you may have to dig into that engine.. I'd walk away unless your heart is set on it.. Just my .o2..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    00' Camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    "blow by" is also a term used when motor oil gets past the seals/bearing in an FI (turbo) vehicle.. Usually on the compressor side.. Just tossing that out there..

Blow by can also happen if the ring gaps were not turned opposite the next ring. Possibility since you said the motor was rebuilt... Can also happen if the engine was not properly broken in as well.. One way of the other you may have to dig into that engine.. I'd walk away unless your heart is set on it.. Just my .o2..
    Yeah im not I decided to wait and save up more money and then go all out

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gillyss View Post
    Yeah im not I decided to wait and save up more money and then go all out
    I agree on your plan.. Far more satisfiing(sp) to buy exactly what you want how you want it.. Rather than the ladder, and get something that may nickle and dime you to death right out of the gate.. But that's just my oppy..

Thread Information